Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Barb_MO Bargello Tutorial *-* Sewing one section

  1. #1
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,494
    Barb_MO Bargello Tutorial *-* Sewing one section

    Photo 1 Now you are ready to start sewing these strips. Place one stack at your sewing machine

    The sewing process is the same as you did in the piecing of your strips sets.
    The way I sew these together will construct one section from right to left.

    Start by picking up two strips, turn the top one over right side to the other one and sew through the strip matching seams. This should be easy because you have ironed seams, one up and one down. I don't pin these so I can life the top one a little and nudge the seams close together.

    Tip: If you start sewing these strip and the one on top has the seam ironed up....every time you sew two strips together, in this pass, the seams will be going up. It that is not the case....then something is wrong! Check it out now, because you might have turned the strips turned over, or you are missing one strip.

    Don't cut threads between pairs, we are going to chain piece all the way through the stack. Check your bobbin, don't want to run out of thread and have all these strips loose, in the floor behind your sewing machine. Feed pairs through one after the other

    Photo #2
    When you get to the end you may have an orphan strips, that is when you clip the chain from the machine. Take the pair you take from the machine and lay if face down on the orphan strip and sew.

    Photo # 3
    Now you can cut the chain and pull it off the machine. I lay this pile on the floor on my right side, so I can drape the first strips of the chain in my lap.

    From the chain in the lap, cut off the first one and place face down on the 2nd pair, sew through these strips....continue to chain piece through strips and, each time if there is an orphan in your lap, get that one attached to the chain before starting again.

    Photo # 4
    One section completed. You can iron this one now if you want. Iron all the seams in the section to one side, doesn't make any difference which way. You will decided later which way you will iron the seams in each panel according to if you will be stacking the sections or turning up upside down to make the diamonds and circles. What ever layout you use you will want the seams to be opposite directions when you sew your section together.

    Photo #5 close up view of one section.

    Photo #6 close up view different direction

    #1 Strips for one section ready for sewing
    Name:  Attachment-60432.jpe
Views: 652
Size:  38.2 KB

    #2 Orphan strips ready to be sewn on
    Name:  Attachment-60433.jpe
Views: 652
Size:  62.9 KB

    #3 Pile of strips in a chain in the floor
    Name:  Attachment-60434.jpe
Views: 644
Size:  139.6 KB

    #5 close up of section
    Name:  Attachment-60445.jpe
Views: 673
Size:  75.7 KB

    #6 close up section turned around
    Name:  Attachment-61109.jpe
Views: 722
Size:  76.6 KB

    #4 the first section completed
    Name:  Attachment-61851.jpe
Views: 605
Size:  30.0 KB

  2. #2
    Marjpf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    1,915
    This is a great tutorial. I just finished one and find that your way is a lot easier to understand. Thank you for all this work.

  3. #3
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks

    I just noticed that this tutorial is in different threads, I wonder if admin. can put all of the directions in one under tutorials!

  4. #4
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,494
    Thank you Marjpf.

    Now, I have to complete three more of these and get them sewn together, and a border.... I'll have me a new quilt top.
    I want to thank all you people for encouraging me to do this. I've had this yellow & blue fabric for several year, bought especially for making a bargello.
    At the beginning of the tutorial, I thought I had forgotten how to do this, but guess after making many of these, it all comes back once the process is started.

  5. #5
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,494
    craftybear this was set up to be in the User Defined Section, so I could add several instructions and they would all be together....the was they tutorial for the OBW that Cutebuns did earlier.
    All four of the message I have done on making the bargello can be found here.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1012

    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    thanks

    I just noticed that this tutorial is in different threads, I wonder if admin. can put all of the directions in one under tutorials!

  6. #6
    Super Member colleen53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    california QUEEN BOW TUCKER
    Posts
    1,693
    its absolutely beautiful... trying to figure it out though.. i feel lost.. so you are taking the first stack and sewing them in pairs? leaving the thread attached all the way down?
    then you go to second stack?

  7. #7
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,494
    Yes, sew all the way through the stack leaving the thead attached (that makes a chain). when you are through the stack and any strip left over attached to the bottom pair, you cut the chain from your machine.

    Then starting again with that chain of pairs sewn together, sew two sets of those together, all the way through. You will now have four strips sewn together in each section of your chain...if there is one left over, sew it to the last one (the one on your machine). each time your do this it will double the number of strips sewn in each section of your chain.
    Then do it again, and your will have 8 strips sewn together in each section of the chain.
    There are 49 strips in each quarter section of the quilt, so once your get to where you are sewing four strip to four strips, it goes pretty fast.
    It's in the beginnig, when your are sew two strips together it seems like you will never get through the stach.


    Quote Originally Posted by colleen53
    its absolutely beautiful... trying to figure it out though.. i feel lost.. so you are taking the first stack and sewing them in pairs? leaving the thread attached all the way down?
    then you go to second stack?

  8. #8
    Super Member colleen53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    california QUEEN BOW TUCKER
    Posts
    1,693
    i am having sooooooooo much fun with this one.. easy to do for me.. so exciting to watch it come alive right before my eyes..
    thank you so much barb for sharing this with all of us !!
    i will be doing another one of these in the near future..
    i have signed up for a mystery quilt after this one to use scraps.. just what i need..!!! i am feeling a b it scrappy !!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member ljsunflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    897
    This is a great tutorial!
    I've been gathering fabrics to make a blue & yellow quilt & I think this is the one that needs making NOW!
    Thanks so much for doing this, Barb.

  10. #10
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsunflower
    This is a great tutorial!
    I've been gathering fabrics to make a blue & yellow quilt & I think this is the one that needs making NOW!
    Thanks so much for doing this, Barb.
    Thanks jsunflower.
    I think that blue & yellow quilts need to be made right now also.
    Show us the fabric in the first tutorial.

  11. #11
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    Barb_MO Bargello Tutorial *-* Sewing one section

    Photo 1 Now you are ready to start sewing these strips. Place one stack at your sewing machine

    The sewing process is the same as you did in the piecing of your strips sets.
    The way I sew these together will construct one section from right to left.

    Start by picking up two strips, turn the top one over right side to the other one and sew through the strip matching seams. This should be easy because you have ironed seams, one up and one down. I don't pin these so I can life the top one a little and nudge the seams close together.

    Tip: If you start sewing these strip and the one on top has the seam ironed up....every time you sew two strips together, in this pass, the seams will be going up. It that is not the case....then something is wrong! Check it out now, because you might have turned the strips turned over, or you are missing one strip.

    Don't cut threads between pairs, we are going to chain piece all the way through the stack. Check your bobbin, don't want to run out of thread and have all these strips loose, in the floor behind your sewing machine. Feed pairs through one after the other

    Photo #2
    When you get to the end you may have an orphan strips, that is when you clip the chain from the machine. Take the pair you take from the machine and lay if face down on the orphan strip and sew.

    Photo # 3
    Now you can cut the chain and pull it off the machine. I lay this pile on the floor on my right side, so I can drape the first strips of the chain in my lap.

    From the chain in the lap, cut off the first one and place face down on the 2nd pair, sew through these strips....continue to chain piece through strips and, each time if there is an orphan in your lap, get that one attached to the chain before starting again.

    Photo # 4
    One section completed. You can iron this one now if you want. Iron all the seams in the section to one side, doesn't make any difference which way. You will decided later which way you will iron the seams in each panel according to if you will be stacking the sections or turning up upside down to make the diamonds and circles. What ever layout you use you will want the seams to be opposite directions when you sew your section together.

    Photo #5 close up view of one section.

    Photo #6 close up view different direction
    beautiful

  12. #12
    Super Member colleen53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    california QUEEN BOW TUCKER
    Posts
    1,693
    here is the first section of my quilt.. loving it alot !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images


  13. #13
    Super Member colleen53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    california QUEEN BOW TUCKER
    Posts
    1,693
    2 panels done.. two different looks.. i wonder what the 3rd panel will bring?
    Attached Images Attached Images


  14. #14
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,682
    Looking gorgeous, I want to do one soon, I already have a long list, will get to it as soon as I can.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    CO., USA
    Posts
    595
    Blog Entries
    1
    OMG,
    Those are beautiful. I want to make one. Maybe in July when my friend is here from Fresno. Where in CA do you live Coleen?
    Barb, can I come back and ask questions if I need to?
    I'm up to ma a** in alligators right now.
    Where in MO do you live Barb? My parents were from Cassville area.

  16. #16
    Super Member colleen53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    california QUEEN BOW TUCKER
    Posts
    1,693
    and a 3rd way.. oh to play with barb's bargello pattern !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    Super Member colleen53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    california QUEEN BOW TUCKER
    Posts
    1,693
    i live in the bay area... just outside of san francisco...

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    CO., USA
    Posts
    595
    Blog Entries
    1
    your color selection is gorgeous

  19. #19
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,494
    Good Job Colleen. I am really proud of you. My husband is getting interested in the tutorial, and I showed your pictures to him. He thinks your are doing a great job too and your color pattern is coming out really nice.
    I think the pattern developed better looking than I had imagined.
    Now you are further along on your than I am on mine. I took a break and made a couple other thing. I want to get back to the bargello and get it finished by the end of the weekend.


    Quote Originally Posted by colleen53
    2 panels done.. two different looks.. i wonder what the 3rd panel will bring?

  20. #20
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,494
    Hi Bettia,
    Sure, you can come back any time and ask questions. I love this board and will be around for a long time, I hope. Even if I'm not around to help, maybe Colleen or one of the others who are working on their quilts will be able to help you.

    I live in Eminence Mo. about 120 miled east of Springfield. I've been to Cassville canoeing Roaring River.
    barb

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettia
    OMG,
    Those are beautiful. I want to make one. Maybe in July when my friend is here from Fresno. Where in CA do you live Coleen?
    Barb, can I come back and ask questions if I need to?
    I'm up to ma a** in alligators right now.
    Where in MO do you live Barb? My parents were from Cassville area.

  21. #21
    Super Member colleen53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    california QUEEN BOW TUCKER
    Posts
    1,693
    here is the third... one more to go !!
    ty barb so much for lining up my fabrics.. i love it !! my husband is also very excited and said you are doing an awesome job teaching us this.. he can't wait for me to get the other panel finished.. but after doing 2 today..it will have to wait !! maybe tomorrow......
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    609
    WOW, these are stunning!

    Thank you so much BarbMO for teaching, and thanks to everyone for posting along. I can feel myself pulled slowly towards this one... Yum. Maybe a bit later this year, I hope that'll still be ok! :)

  23. #23
    Super Member colleen53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    california QUEEN BOW TUCKER
    Posts
    1,693
    ok all 4.. now to decide on which way to turn them to get the look that i want... decisions ...decisions.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,494
    You're welcome Salmonsweet. The postings should stay, so whenever you get ready, let us know so we can follow along with your progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by salmonsweet
    WOW, these are stunning!

    Thank you so much BarbMO for teaching, and thanks to everyone for posting along. I can feel myself pulled slowly towards this one... Yum. Maybe a bit later this year, I hope that'll still be ok! :)

  25. #25
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen53
    ok all 4.. now to decide on which way to turn them to get the look that i want... decisions ...decisions.....
    Colleen, have you tried doing one diamond in the center, and letting everything radiate out from that? I haven't done that layout, but I think it might look nice. Also, I don't think I posted a pictures but I have put the diamonds in the center and had circle above and below
    .
    Sometime in the future, I want to make sections long enough so that I can turn them the length of the quilt and have the rows of diamonds and circles going down the quilt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.