Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basement finish - question >

Basement finish - question

Basement finish - question

Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
How about one of those big clear mats you see in offices, under chairs. I have seen them at Walmart. They protect your floor or carpeting from wear, easy to roll around on but not slick.
You still roll backwards. Trust me.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 PM

I have hardwood in my sewing room but I like a rug in front of my cutting table because it's easier on my poor old (accent on the "old" part... LOL!) legs to stand on that when I haver an extended cutting session.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
In my basement room, I have a painted concrete floor. That would be similar to your vinyl one.
I use a "portable" sewing table, which I found moved some when I speed sew. So I put a small rug under the legs/wheels to stop that.
Yes, my chair has wheels and it does move some so I am thinking about putting a small rug or carpet remnant under that to keep me from rolling backwards as I quilt!
Oh for heaven's sake, don't put a big rug down! I use minky quite a bit and that stuff gets all over the place, not to mention threads! Just leave the vinyl; it will help in keeping the floor clean or fabric dander.
Oh yes; I have anti-stress mats surrounding my cutting table. A must on the hard basement floor even if you have vinyl over it.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:23 AM

I sew barefoot. If you do, will your feet get cold? Guess I'd leave it without a rug and see how it works. If it doesn't work well, I'd add the rug.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 AM

I have laminate flooring in a light birch color in my basement studio. I also have an oval braided rug in an open area, just to soften the "echo" of a large room and make it feel homey. I can easily dust with a swiffer vacuum. I can hear pins drop and pick them up immediately. I love that the laminate has a thin layer of foam "insulation" under it, making it easy on the feet and not cold. I find that the room is much warmer in winter now. All exterior walls were well insulated before the dry wall went up I only have one heat vent, but it is enough to keep the area cozy in the winter and comfy in the summer with the A/C on. I also keep a dehumidifier going constantly so there is no dampness to make the fabric get smelly. I L O V E my basement sewing studio.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:51 AM

We just built a 12'x15' sewing room. I have vinyl plank with looks just like wood. It is wonderful and so much less noise. I am afraid of dropping pins and not finding them. My husband is diabetic so it is important not to have any on the floor.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 AM

I used to sew on a floor with no carpet, and the chair moved TOO much. When I would push back to get up, it would go flying. Even when I was just sewimg, sometimes the angle of my feet would push the chair back from the table. I was constantly chasing the foot pedal around. As much as I don't like pins getting caught in the carpet, on the uncarpeted floor, they would easily get whisked to another place on the floor, which made them much harder to find. So my input is - I would rather sew on a low pile carpet than no carpet.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

it also depends on the rollers on your chair. there are rollers for carpet, rollers for hard floors too.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 AM

My sewing room has carpet. I can't wait for the day that I finally get to tear the carpet out and put in tile or vinyl...anything but the carpeting.

I personally like my chair to roll with ease, from my machine to my work table etc. I also would much prefer sweeping up my thread clippings rather than having to drag the vacuum in there after I have been working.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:03 AM

I have a basement sewing room. Ditch the carpet or rugs... they are a pain in the ... Smooth floors are so much easier. Yes they are cooler , a welcome feature this summer. In the winter , I wear wool socks .. it helps to keep my feet from getting cold.
A good old fashioned dust mop is the best tool for giving the floor the "once over".