Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh >

Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh

Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh

Old 11-11-2013, 05:39 AM

I tried the Elmers Glue basting this weekend. I diluted the glue and used a paint brush to brush it on. My quilt back and batting were on my cutting table but hang over the sides because of the size of the quilt. I did the center portion first and then shifted the quilt to get to other sections. However, I noticed that the backing wrinkled up. I eventually tossed it in the washer and dryer. I will go back to pin basting because I was not happy with the results.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by ajpadilla View Post
I do dilute the glue and use an applicator tip for more precise placement. Then set with a hot iron. Works for me. There are different applicator tips you can use. Below is a link to the ones I use:
http://www.joann.com/sakura-3-d-crys...8&prefv1=false
Could someone please post the recipe for this spray glue...my computer is refusing to open this link. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 AM

I put a gob of glue on a scrap of paper then draw the tip of a pin through the glue puddle picking up just the smallest dot, place dots about three or four inches apart, iron, add more dots, iron all the way around. No heavy build up of glue and I keep the glue in the middle of the binding so I dont hit any when I'm hand sewing it down.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by SemiSweet View Post
I always dilute it to half water and half glue, that helps a ton. Make sure it's hot/warm water so it will easily mix. I've never had it wet still after letting it set out for an after noon and over night. If it does happen to still be wet though, you can run your iron over it to dry it a bit.

Next time I glue baste, I'm going to go a step further and try this method:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6598712_make...lue-spray.html
I'm going to try this today. I have a crib quilt I need to sandwich and this seems easier than using the squeezing the bottle. Thanks for the link.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I add a small amount of hot water to the glue, and it streams out with no effort at all. I hold the bottle up high and let it stream out on the batting in a thin line. Like fmqing with glue. LOL. I smooth the backing on, let dry and turn over and do the same with the top. I press it if I want instant dry.

I got the idea of diluting a lot to make stiff starch. The diluted glue burned fast with a hot iron though.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
I tried the Elmers Glue basting this weekend. I diluted the glue and used a paint brush to brush it on. My quilt back and batting were on my cutting table but hang over the sides because of the size of the quilt. I did the center portion first and then shifted the quilt to get to other sections. However, I noticed that the backing wrinkled up. I eventually tossed it in the washer and dryer. I will go back to pin basting because I was not happy with the results.
I wondered about the fabric wrinkling...especially after seeing a demo of the canned spray do the same thing. So do the wrinkles go away with the quilting process or in the wash after it's done? Just wondering. Maybe I should try it on a small potholder or something.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Too much glue will draw the fabric as it dries. Don't coat a big surface with the diluted glue. Just a few dabs of the brush will do.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:43 AM

I have trouble squeezing the bottle too, what I do is put the bottle of glue in the microwave for a few seconds and get it warm and the glue will flow quite easily. You will have to be very careful about putting it in the microwave, stand right there and watch it, loosen the top. DO NOT let it get hot and run all over the microwave!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Annie68 View Post
I have trouble squeezing the bottle too, what I do is put the bottle of glue in the microwave for a few seconds and get it warm and the glue will flow quite easily. You will have to be very careful about putting it in the microwave, stand right there and watch it, loosen the top. DO NOT let it get hot and run all over the microwave!
This is a great idea! I do this for fray block where they say run it under hot water for 3 minutes. I put a mug of water in the microwave and heat that up, then put my bottle or tube in to warm it up. Much safer. DO NOT put the fray block into the microwave...only into the mug of hot water!!
As long as the water in the mug stays very warm, I return the bottle until I need another warm up.

Last edited by applique; 11-11-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
why not just use quilt basting spray I never have a bit of trouble with that
Because quilt basting spray is smelly and expensive.