Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting pins >

Basting pins

Basting pins

Old 07-30-2014, 01:21 AM

Default Basting pins

I've seen some curved basting pins and I'm wondering if they are worth purchasing? Or would basting work with ordinary safety pins (not curved)? Or maybe it is better anyway to baste with thread as I've done so far (one bed quilt and a few baby quilts, so I'm still learning what is the best option). Thanks for any suggestions from your experience!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:26 AM

I tried regular pins on my first quilt but they were too difficult to work with while quilting--I kept getting poked. I bought a couple of packages of the large curved safety pins and I love them. I'm not sure about regular pins--for the relative cost of the curved pins, I am guessing they are a bit easier to work with.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

the curved are definitely easier to work with than standard safety pins. but now i've tried basting with elmer's glue and that is easiest of all.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:24 AM

They make a quilting notion called kwik-klip, it makes it really easy to close your pins. Quilt in a Day, has it for sale, so does ebay. It works great!! I don't use mine anymore,not since I found out about school glue! I display mine in my sewingroom,It has a pretty wooden handle and looks antiquey!!!

e
Old 07-30-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
now i've tried basting with elmer's glue and that is easiest of all.
Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
I don't use mine anymore,not since I found out about school glue!
I'm new to quilting and have just seen another thread mentioning using washable glue for basting a few days ago. I'm just not sure if I dare to try that... Maybe I should do a table runner or something like that just to test...? I'm just afraid of ruining my next quilt top! How much glue does one use for basting?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
They make a quilting notion called kwik-klip, it makes it really easy to close your pins. e
This tool does make closing the pins SO MUCH much easier. I have at least 3 of them. I guess I am from the old school, I could never use white glue to baste a quilt. I dislike the smell of adhesive spray. I use to go to my LQS to pin baste my quilts in their classroom. It would be a fun day to spend it at my LQS.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 AM

I don't know what it is about the curved pins that makes them so much easier to open and close. But, they are easier. I use them all the time when I sandwich a quilt. I've seen all the posts about using glue but I'm not comfortable doing that. I've have problems with glue causing my needle to get sticky and miss stitches. I guess I'm set in my ways.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I've have problems with glue causing my needle to get sticky and miss stitches. I guess I'm set in my ways.
I assume you're machine quilting. That makes me think: would glue even work for hand quilting?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
I'm new to quilting and have just seen another thread mentioning using washable glue for basting a few days ago. I'm just not sure if I dare to try that... Maybe I should do a table runner or something like that just to test...? I'm just afraid of ruining my next quilt top! How much glue does one use for basting?
I don't think you would ruin your quilt. It all washes out. It takes very little washable glue to baste a quilt. If you put Elmer's or glue basting into the search function you will get lots of hits. Also, I think there is a tutorial here on the QB - I gave up pins, thread, and spray basting once I discovered washable school glue. It works best, I've found, on cotton batting. I don't think it would work for hand quilting though.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I don't think it would work for hand quilting though.
Ok, I guess that comes on the list of things that I will do one day when I will have a sewing machine... For the time being, I'm hand piecing and hand quilting.