Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting on a PVC quilt Frame >

Basting on a PVC quilt Frame

Basting on a PVC quilt Frame

Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 AM

Thanks hmmm may have to try that. I hate pinning. I have found the spray and have a runner ready to quilt using that.
I have learned so much from this board.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 AM

If you have the room to spread it out, why not try the Elmer's liquid school glue method to baste? It's so easy and fast....and cheap! No fumes from spray basting either. You have to use the washable school glue....when completely done with the quilt, just toss in the washer....glue all gone! I spread out the three layers (backing, batting, top), then pull back the top to halfway. The I open the glue wide open (no special tips necessary) and put down lines of glue, onto the batting, about 3"-4" apart. The glue lines tend to turn into little dots which are perfect. When done spreading glue, lay the top back down, smooth out any wrinkles and pat down onto the glue. I leave mine air dry about an hour, but some will use an iron to set the glue. Either way works. Then I move onto the next section, repeat the process, then flip the entire sandwich and glue the other side. DONE! If you oops and get a glob of glue, just smooth it out with your finger. I fmq on my DSM and have no problems, really don't notice that the glue is there....no gumming of the needle...ever. And the glue will hold till done quilting, no shifting or puckers. If you find you need to reposition....just dampen the fabric/batting until the glue loosens. I will never baste a quilt any other way....this is so easy. Any cleanup is done with a damp rag....it's just washable school glue (starch).
Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM

I don't know how this would work with hand quilting. I imagine the glue would be tricky to sew through butI could be wrong. Any thoughts?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:00 AM

You can take it to a long arm quilter. It can be basted on a long arm. My mom did it for me. I also hand quilt on PVC frame.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

well I used to hand quilt on my Q snap frame, so basting should work for most of it at least.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM

I tried it.. I love it.. I cant believe after doing evey method under the sun I cant believe I never thought of it before....
I have never heard of a basting gun before.. I might have to check on of those out.
There are so many reasons to LOVE this board..
Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM

The basting gun is new to me, also! I might need to check into this!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 AM

I bought one of those drop ceiling lite grids from a big box store....this is the same size as one of the rectangular drop ceiling inserts.... Use that on a table and lay quilt sandwich on top... There is enough depth there to let basting gun do its job without poking holes in a table.......works for me... Then onto the Qframe....