Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting a quilt cost ? >

Basting a quilt cost ?

Basting a quilt cost ?

Old 10-23-2013, 04:28 AM

Smile Basting a quilt cost ?

I have recently finished my Dear Jane quilt ---- YES YES !!!! and want to get it basted by a lady with a long arm quilting business - with maybe some "stitch in the ditch" Anyone guess what a good price this might cost please ??
Thank you.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:45 AM

I have no idea what it would cost you in the UK, but here in New Hampshire, USA, my longarmer charges $0.006USD per square inch for basting with a minimum charge of $45.00USD. Hope you can find someone closer to home to give you a more accurate cost estimate.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

If you are asking for SITD, that is long arm quilting and the regular long arm charge would be applicable? Most long armers do not like doing SITD unless the quilter is meticulous on getting all the seams perfect so they have a consistent ditch to stitch in.
Basting is when they load the quilt (hour) and use really long stitches across the three layers.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Congratulation on getting a very difficult set of blocks done !! It would never be anything I would even try to accomplish because the results would be horrendous. Good Luck with trying to find someone to help you get your quilt basted. Might try a local quilt shop for any references. Would love to see a picture of your lovely quilt when you have finished quilting it.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:11 AM

I had a large king sized quilt basted by a LA and she charged me $25.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 AM

If she is quilting :stitch in the ditch and it is Dear Jane I would say at least £100.
You say she is basting it why if she has a long arm and is quilting.?
I didn't think long armrest basted . They don't like people to take in. A quilt which is already tacked and ready for quilting.
The cost of the quilt will change the more difficult the work.
Most of the Laq I know also offer own fabric and wadding which then add to cost.
This is a large quilt. Can she do it on her frame. My friends at120" only just fit .

I'm trying to put a few different peoples experiences in one answer.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

congrats, dotty. can't wait to see the quilt!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I didn't think long armrest basted . They don't like people to take in. A quilt which is already tacked and ready for quilting.
A quilt is not basted before it is put on the longarm. The poster is asking how much it would cost for a longarmer to do basting for her (that is- load it on the long arm and do basting stitches- either long stitches tacking down the quilt, or a quick pattern over the quilt using wash away thread). People who quilt on domestic machines often have long-armers do this task for large quilts, as they are difficult to pin baste. After they do their own quilting, the basting is removed.

However, since the OP asked about stitch-in-the-ditch, it is possible she wants more than just basting services.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

are you just having it basted so you can quilt it? i'm sure different long-arm quilters have different rates- you should call her & ask what her rate is- that being said- it does depend on the size of the quilt and I would think it could be anywhere between $25 & $50.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

It really does depend on the longarmer, what kind of equipment she has, how closely you want it basted, and whether she wants to baste or has any experience doing it. On my longarm, without a computer, there is no basting stitch, so I have two options - press down needle every inch or so (I'd charge a fortune if I had to do that!) or baste with a regular stitch using water soluble thread. If you're going to hand stitch, you may not want that option. On the other hand, some computerized longarms may have a true basting stitch. Keep in mind that the longarmer still has to load your quilt and keep it straight while basting, so the cost may not be that much less than doing a simple pantograph or meander on it. Congratulations on finishing your DJ!!! I hope you will show it to us soon.