Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting coming out in wash?

I just finished quilting my first baby quilt today and washed it on the delicate cycle (as per batting instructions). The batting is a wool-cotton mix from a trusted quilt shop and it wasn't cheap.
    When I took the quilt out, it had white fluff all over, almost like a layer of spider's web and I've been picking it all off.
    Is this normal? And if not, what did I do wrong? Was my needle too thick so that some of the seams let batting escape?

Blog Entries
    Oh no, not sure, I'm sure others on here can help you out.

Blog Entries
    That's called bearding and is probably from the wool in the batting. Newer methods for bonding wool have made it more stable. In the past, wool battings had to be encased in cheesecloth before layering to help prevent bearding.

I prefer to use 100% cotton batting (my fav is Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon) because it gets softer with each washing, doesn't bunch up over time, and doesn't beard.

Blog Entries

Try running a stick lint roller over it; it may help removing it.
    Sorry you had that happen, I haven't used any wool bat, so no idea of the problem.

Oh ok, so it wasn't something I did wrong then. Do you know if this will continue to happen with every wash?

It is bearding, even my cotton batting is doing some bearding as I quilt.

Do you have contact paper in the UK. I use the sticky side cut off a large sheet and hand press it dowon on your quilt and just go all over it. It should come right off.

Blog Entries

slowly going forward cuz' I can't find reverse
    I had this happen a few years ago. I got I think it was a dollmakers needle that was, goodness, maybe 4 or 5 inches long? can't quite remember, but, I stuck it in just under the quilt top fabric and sort of swept it back and forth in between stitching areas to pull the batting back through the fabric. After that I hand washed the quilt. As long as it didn't go in the washer it was ok.

What is contact paper and what sort of shops carry it?

Blog Entries
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Quilting-2339/bearding.htm

scroll down and read this article

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stummel
    Oh ok, so it wasn't something I did wrong then. Do you know if this will continue to happen with every wash?
    It wasn't something you did wrong. I would follow Shibori's advice to fix it.

The problem with using an adhesive lint roller or contact paper (a paper with sturdy adhesive on one side) is that it will continue to pull new fibers through.

slowly going forward cuz' I can't find reverse
    oh yes, and it was wool that gave me the troubles. It was easier to try to pull it back down then remove the fuzzies on top. Sort of like a box of Kleenex, the more you try to pull off and out of the top, the more will follow and work its' way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Stummel
    What is contact paper and what sort of shops carry it?
    It is a shelf lining paper that has a sticky back like tape. It works better than a lint roller, because it comes on a large roll and you can cut off what you need. Contact is actually the brand. Actually some of our craft shops carry it or you can get at stores similar to Target and Walmart. See if this helps.
    http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-24F-C...9211383&sr=8-3

I have never used wool before and that could be part of the problem. I always have a little bearding. But can usually get it off or it it is still attached to the batting inside, I can force it back through with a needle. It does have a tendency to migrate through stitches and seams.

Thanks for all the links, I am reading through them all.
    Thankfully once I pulled the bearding off, nothing more has come out. The quilt is still wet though, so I'll see tomorrow.
    Thankfully the batting for my next quilt is cotton.

Blog Entries
    i would not use that type of batting again..i would probably take it to the quilt shop you bought it at, and show them. not to confront them or anything..but to let them know what happens to it once it is washed. maybe they will stop selling it and carry another brand of batting.

Blog Entries
    they make something called a fabric comb..my daughter uses it on her sweaters..

http://www.google.com/search?q=fabri...=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

dritz makes them too..

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure Hobbs wool batting is the only one that doesn't beard. They have a patent on the bonding process, I think.