Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting confusion >

Batting confusion

Batting confusion

Old 09-01-2022, 02:29 AM
Evy

Default Batting confusion

I am searching for an alternative to Wrap and Zap batting because of price. On researching I have read that it is safe to use cotton batting with a small percentage of poly scrim. One article said Insulbrite is safe but I have always been told that is a definite No-No. Can anyone suggest (by brand name) another batting safe for microwaves. Right now Joann Fabrics has a good sale on batting that I would like to take advantage of. Thanks in advance.
evy
Old 09-01-2022, 05:34 AM

My cozies are used for either a bowl of ice-cream or a warm bowl of oatmeal. I don't use the cozies in the MW as I don't want to take any chances. The concept of using them in the MW works for others but not for me.

I usually wait for items until I can use a JAnn's coupon to save costs. Perfect timing as W&Zap is on sale now for approx 2.90 per yard if you can use a bolt. Even the smaller packages are on sale. There may be other discounts for the weekend. Good luck with your projects.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

IMO no batting is completely safe for a microwave. If it gets hot enough, it will burn.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

A package of Wrap and Zap at Walmart is much cheaper then at JoAnns, at least here it is. I bought a bolt last week for $19.99 for ten yard bolt or $4.79 for small package. I always test batting in the microwave before using. I cut a piece and put in microwave. The heat depends on the microwave and everyone has different wattage ones. The lower wattage ones take three minutes to get as hot as the the high wattage ones do in one minute. 100% no scrim cotton burned in seconds in one of my tests. Warm and Natural didn't even get hot. But I do the test every time. Never know what batting may contain. And if there is food spilled on the cozy and not seen it will cause a burn/fire. I would never put insulbrite in a microwave. It does have metal in it. Some microwaves can handle some metal some can't.
We never heat a cozy more then two minutes, food is steaming in two minutes and less if not cold.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-01-2022 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:53 AM

I tried using a cozy, But I found it awkward and hard to handle. I had made some of those cotton clothesline ropes and wound them with strips of quilting cotton. I find they make great hot pads and trivets for things taken out of the microwave. I just open the microwave and slide the hot bowl or plate unto the clothesline trivet. Works great for me.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:59 AM
Evy

Thanks. I never tell anyone they are fireproof. Nothing is. But I've used them for several years with no problems as have many friends and family. Always use 100% cotton everything, don't use if they get grease splattered. I just ordered a 10 yd x 22 inch bolt of wrap and zap from Walmart for about 23.00. Appreciate all the advice.
evy
Old 09-01-2022, 07:17 AM

Since the cozies I make have two layers of batting, I don't like wrap and zap. It's too thick. I've used 100% cotton batting, usually my leftovers from warm and natural and never had a problem. We use ours all the time in the microwave.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:04 AM
Evy

Fay,
Thank you. I am going to buy a package of the Warm and Natural Cotton batting and try it. I also use two layers and they are bulky when top stitching the edge. The package indicates it does have a poly type scrim but very small percentage of it. I also checked other sites and it was recommended by others who use it in the microwave. The Warm Company does not recommend it on their website, but they cannot I'm sure because of potential liability issues.
thanks again
evy
Old 09-01-2022, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
IMO no batting is completely safe for a microwave. If it gets hot enough, it will burn.
Standing right next to you on this one, Dunster.
I don't understand why people need cozies or koozies or whatever for a microwave anyway. Just use bowls that don't get hot to the touch when microwaving. It's just not worth the risk IMO.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:28 PM

Just remember that Warm and Natural is 70% to 80% cotton and 20% to 30% polyester. It's printed on the paper that comes with it.