Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: batting got caught - need some advise please

you know that extra bit of back and batting, well i was FMQ my little heart away and realised to late that the batting had gotten caught under my border, the back had rolled up in it so I was lucky it didn't get dewn on as well, so not wanting to rip out stiches, i cut as much away as possible - my question is, when I wash it will the batt come out easier or should I try to pick it out before I wash the quilt? Thanks...you all have been so helpful, I sure do appreciate all your help!!! (ps..it was 4 am, I should never sew after 3!!!)

here is my mistake.....
    Name:  Attachment-179796.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  26.5 KB

I had this happen to me as well, I used my longnosed tweezers (purchased at a medical supply store, frequently used for removing stitches), and pulled out as much as I could. Then washed and the remaining came out in the laundry. At least you have an excuse, it was in the middle of the day for me.

I think I would get it out now.

I would get it out now. I'm afraid it would bind up more and I'd tear the fabric trying to get out the stitches later. Good luck.

Thanks ladies, I will work away at it as much as I can before washing. I hope I do not stretch or wreck any stiches...errr!

Perhaps sew the label over it, if you can't get it all out?

Blog Entries
    I wonder if gentle rubbing with a soft toothbrush might wear away more of the batting?

Might help to moisten the toothbrush too.

Could you possibly use an electric sweater shaver on it? Then go after the remains with tweezers?

Blog Entries
    How about using one of those Lint rollers. I don't know if that would work but it might at least help you get ahold of it so that you can clip it. But if you do try this...let me know if it works. :)

I would take it out now. It looks like a pretty piece and will be worth picking the stitches out.

Oh thank you ladies! I found out that using two pairs of tweezers and pulling (gently) the bat from both sides of the stitch out put much less stress on the stitch than just pulling in one direction, I broke two stitches doing that. Also the lint roller was a must!It cleaned up alot of batt once I loosened it up a bit. Thank you! Now I need to fix or reinforce the two I broke and bind and this Fairy quilt will be done!! You are all amazing!