Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Batting

I've used most of the batting brands out there (cheap to expensive). I prefer Legacy brand to all of them. I'm using their 80/20 blend with scrim for most of my customer quilts and absolutely love how it quilts. I've also used their 100% cotton and their 80/20 without scrim. I compared the feel (softness, texture, etc.) of their wool to Hobbs and Quilters Dream and I prefer it also. I currently have some Quilters Dream wool in stock that I will use up and then I will be getting a 9-yard board of the Legacy wool. I just finished a customer quilt with Warm and Natural (used to be my favorite brand, too) and it just doesn't compare to Legacy. I have a roll of Microsafe Poly batting that stitches up quite nicely, too. I bought it at JoAnn's on sale.

for the most part it depends. most charity organizations prefer poly batting. for my family quilts I most often use 80/20

I usually use Warm and White and I love it. But I just finished a quilt using bamboo. Don't remember the brand but I got it at Joann's with a 50% off coupon. Bamboo is pretty pricey. I love the bamboo so it will probably be my new first choice as long as I can get it on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
    For hand quilting you can't beat Mountain Mist Quilt Lite. It is like quilting through melted butter.
    I have never heard about that brand and just looked it up in the internet - it is made of polyester, right? I would really like to try it - but unfortunately it seems to be unavailable here in Germany.

As a handquilter for more than 40 years I must confess I prefer poly batting. It allows me to stitch with the least amount of stress to my hands and I like the way the fabric of the quilt poofs after it is quilted. I don't like the flat look you get with some of the cotton battings etc. The poly gives the quilting depth which shows off the quilting especially in a wholecloth quilt. Another plus is the lighter weight yet still warm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    I like Warm and Natural or Warm and White.
    DITTO.

I like to use cotton batting such as warm & natural or 80/20 is also very good.

I like wool, but I use cotton too.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    I like Warm and Natural or Warm and White.
    This has become my favorite. So easy to work with.

Since all of my quilts are for the hospital and hospice, I use the polyester and buy it by the roll. Our little group doesn't receive any funding so we do this from our own pockets. I machine quilt the ones I make as these quilts get a lot of use but most of the other gals and one guy in our group tie theirs every 6".

I also like Warm & Natural.

Vat
    Depends on what I am putting it in : Wall hanging, Utility quilt , display quit, wearable. And how it is going to be quilted: by machine or by hand , lots of variables.

My favorites are Hobbs 80/20 and Hobbs wool. Both are terrific for machine and hand quilting and the finished quilts have a wonderful soft and cuddly feel. The quilts also drape very nicely.

Sometimes I pre-wash and sometimes I don't, it depends on what the quilt is. I don't wash if the quilts will be made from reproduction fabric and I want the traditional look.

My machine loves Warm and Natural

Power Poster
    Warm and natural

I usually buy warm & natural or warm & white. I usually buy it when I can use a coupon at Joann's. I have used the bamboo batting & have liked it. Purchased it at Walmart & now it has been clearanced & didn't get to get what was left. I have heard of some using flannel, but not sure about shrinkage with it in a quilt.

I use Warm and Natural. I've been wanting to try some Bamboo batting but haven't done it yet.

I am coming around to agreeing with you on the poly. I have made quite a few with each, and have recently noticed that baby quilts made with W&N cotton (especially the flannel ones) tend to look tired after several washings. Poly just seems to hold its shape better. I also agree that the plumper look is richer, especially in flannel, and when you are making larger quilts, the poly tends to seem lighter, yet still warm.

Blog Entries
    I like using Quilter's Dream batting. It has a lovely feel and drape and comes in several thicknesses.

watch for sales at JoAnn's for 50% off. Also Hancocks

watch for sales at JoAnn's for 50% off. Also Hancocks for those who feel cotton and bamboo are too expensive. Then stock up

Blog Entries
    I like 80% cotton and 20% poly. I use different brands for bedquilts. I like the green batting for my wall quilts and want to try the bamboo batting.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolteacher
    What brand of batting do you like? Polyseter or cotton or a blend?

I really like Warm and Natural. So much so that it is the only one I have used. I am going with the motto: "Don't try to reinvent the wheel." :-D

Cotton or wool, warm and natural

Quote Originally Posted by NDQuilts
    I prefer quilters dream poly or wool. No cotton for handquilting.
    No problem handquilting cotton for me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast