Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting >

Batting

Batting

Old 12-17-2010, 12:00 PM

What's the best online source for batting? I need something good but inexpensive for Quilts for Kids.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:15 PM

I usually buy a whole roll of Warm and Natural from JoAnns when there is a 50%off sale or coupon. I have it delivered to my door.
It is a big expense at once, but it will last forever (Well, this is my 6th bolt in the last 5 years)
Old 12-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

You can use the 50% coupon from joanns to buy a bolt of any kind if they have it. It really is the best way to go if you can afford to put a lot out in the beginning. Otherwise you the coupon in store for one bag of batting. :-)
Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I buy Warm and Natural off of the bolt at Joann's. I have them cut 5yds+ of their widest and use a 50% off coupon.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Have you thought of using polor fleece? I made 2 quilts for my grandson's, had to do them in a hurry. I used the fleece and no batting. Machine quilted them and they love them. Thier dad, my son, loves them to. He say's they are so warm and comfy.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Sorry, forgot to say all you need is the top and the fleece. Just have the fleece larger that the top and then fold it over and stich and no binding. It doesn't ravel so there is on extra bulk from double fold.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 PM

JoAnn's when they have a sale......you can sign up for their fliers with couponsl. Also, you can check out the batting on connectingthreads.com. They have a good selection of batting and affordable prices.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

About this time of year JoAnn's usually puts their batting on sale at 50% off. At the same time, they usually have some good coupons for $$ off your order (e.g., $15 off if your order is $75 or more, something like that) and they also offer free shipping with a certain size order. For 2 years in a row I was able to combine all the offers and wound up with a really good deal. But... there are some things to watch out for. First of all, the ad may say "all batting" but the rolls of batting may not be marked down on the web site. Or the rolls of batting may be marked down on the web site, but not the full 50%. Both things have happened to me, at different times, so I just called JoAnn's to place the order and the person taking the order CHEERFULLY gave me the full 50% off, plus taking the coupon and then giving me free shipping. I was not expecting such good service from the web site, since the service in the store is not always stellar, but I was pleasantly surprised. This year I don't need to order any more rolls (still have plenty left from last year's order) so I haven't been watching to see when it goes on sale.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight
Have you thought of using polor fleece? I made 2 quilts for my grandson's, had to do them in a hurry. I used the fleece and no batting. Machine quilted them and they love them. Thier dad, my son, loves them to. He say's they are so warm and comfy.
These quilts are for Quilts For Kids, so they have to have the backing included in the kits.