Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Before I finish this quilt... >

Before I finish this quilt...

Before I finish this quilt...

Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Default Before I finish this quilt...

Hello

I am a new member here so I am not sure if this is the forum to post this question.

I have a few questions about finishing the quilt. I am working on a quilt that is 100% cotton front and back that is about 5x7 feet. my batting is 80 cotton/20 polyester. It is needlepunched, ununbleached, no scrim, and a 1/4 inch loft height. First and foremost is this an okay batting?

My quilt front is a gradient ranging from dark blue to white. My first question is about color bleeding. I did not wash each fabric before sewing. is there something I can wash it with to keep the colors from bleeding?

also I was under the impression that with this type of batting I can put all layers together and quilt before washing/drying and it will cause the crinkled appearance. Is this so? I want this effect. What do I need to do in order to get that? Do I wash the front and back but not the batting before quilting or do I wash none of the above (or all of the above)?

I've read that the batting layer and backing need to be wider all the way around than the top. how much wider? is just a few inches enough? Is it okay if the batting is as wide as the back or does one need to be wider?

Finally once the quilting is done, do I wash it before or after the binding is put on?

Sorry for all the questions... I went into this a bit blindly but I am enjoying the process!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM

I don't wash my fabrics first I make my quilt layer it and quilt it. Then I put binding on after it is done I wash it and yes you will get the crinkly effect. I use color catchers one or two depending on the colors in the quilt.

I did a small table runner once quilted it sew the outside all around the outside washed it and it was really crinkly then I added the border. There really are No quilt police. Enjoy
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Finish it before washing. If you wash it will all those raw edges you will have a mess for sure.

Shout color catchers work wonderfully for me. I seldom prewash fabrics because I love the crinkled look.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

If you are going to quilt the quilt yourself, the backing needs to be about 2" in all directions, or 4" on both dimensions. If you are going to send it out to be quilted, the long arm quilter normally wants more than that, at least 3" on a side.
The batting size is normally inbetween the top and batting dimensions, like a wedding cake.
The crinkly look can come from the fabric, but the majority from the cotton in the batting. A 100% cotton or wool will give you the most shrinkage. The batting packaging will tell you what percent shrinkage to expect. It also provides valuable information on how closely you need to quilt or tie to secure.
Never wash a quilt top before the quilt is totally done. If you'd like to join the fray on pre washing uncut fabric, just use the search function on this board. Lots of pros and cons.
Regarding the running of the colors, at this point you are just going to have to try it and see. You can use color catchers if you have a top loader. There is also a production called Synthrapol that will keep any shed dye suspended in the water and not deposited on the other fabrics. This also needs a lot of water. Not a front loader type product. If you are worried, you can wet a piece of scrap fabric and rub it on a piece of white fabric to see if there is any transfer.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

First of all I prewash all my fabrics. When it is totally done I wash and dry it. They always crinkle. There are lots for you to try and do until you decide how and what works for you.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

the batting you have chosen (80/20) is perfect for what you want.
never wash your quilt top before sandwiching/quilting/binding- if you want to pre-wash your fabrics you do that while they are still yardage- some people always prewash- some never do- it's a personal choice- if you are worried that one of yours may run do a color test---wet some of the fabric & rub it (gently) with a paper towel or piece of white muslin- if color comes off it will bleed when you wash the quilt- if you find you have a bleeder now- you can throw in color catchers when you wash the finished quilt (they are like bounce sheets - in the laundry section of the grocery store-put out by shout)
the batting/backing need to be a little larger than the top because as you quilt it (draws up) the fabric-like doing applique or embroidery- and also helps if your quilt is not exactly perfectly square---after it is quilted you trim/square it up before adding the binding- once the binding is attached you can wash & dry your quilt- i always treat my quilts just like i expect the person receiving it will treat it- meaning-if it's for my daughter/granddaughters---i toss it in the washer- regular detergent/warm or cool water/ regular cycle--then i toss it into the dryer- i've never had one come out harmed.
cotton battings (and blends like you have) will shrink enough to give you the crinkly effect you want- the amount of (crinkly shrinkage) is based somewhat on the amount of quilting done along with the fiber content- be sure & check your packaging and do the amount of quilting the package recommends- if you have the 'hobbs 80/20' it needs to be quilted every 2"-4". it is important to follow the recommendations on any batt you choose.
there are lots of batts to choose from- i use alot of 80/20 batting- i love wool batt (which does not shrink near as much as a cotton batt- is loftier & fluffs up wonderfully- but is a bit more expensive so i save it for the really special quilts)
anyway- it sounds as if you are doing just fine- show us pics when you get it done!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 PM

Lots of great advice here. I agree with everything but want to add that you CAN use color catchers in front loading machines. You just need to put the color catcher in a lingerie bag and it works well. My DH washes all my quilts and puts in 1, 2 or 3 color catchers in the first wash. The number of color catchers he uses depends on how much red or black is in the quilt.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 PM

Ooooppps........he also says you need to put the bag in first...........don't know why, but he is my laundry expert...........:')......