Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner quilter >

Beginner quilter

Beginner quilter

Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM

I started doing multiple projects from the get go. It's not that I get bored with one, just that I like having several going at the same time. I have to have something to do when I'm in the family room with DH in the evening. He watches TV and I work on binding, applique, or yo-yo's. But even though I've done sewing, cross stitch, knitting, crochet and embroidery, I've never had multiple projects going except with quilting.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jaos
I have several ready to go but can only work on one at a time.
I usually only do one at a time,but I have made an exception for my daughter. She has a king size bed and wants a complete set right down to the curtains. It has beads and little jewelry looking pieces that she bought somewhere. She bought the fabric,batting,backing,and way more beads and jewelry pieces than I'll need.She didn't want me to run out and not be able to find more. Each block is embroidered. But that's the exception.It's easier for me to only do one at a time.That way nothing gets mixed up.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Jim

I always have 4 or 5 or 12 going...I move from one to another and dont get bored with one..I may get excited about a certain one and go gungho on it or move to another for a few days...keeps it all exciting to me
Old 01-12-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by joraymo
I am new to quilting & I have 3 projects going already and can't wait to start another one. I have found already that this helps me to keep focused by switching from one to the other. Anyway it seems to work for me so far. Does anyone else find that doing more than one at a time help them??
I'm also new to quilting and I have 2 quilts going. One is on the frame and the other is a 9P. Sometimes, I need a break from the quilting and take a little time to piece. It's all hand piecing/quilting. I know that even if I finish piecing the top, I can't even think about quilting it until I get the one done that's already on the frame. It seems to work for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:46 AM

I always have several projects going at once. Since I hand quilt, I sometimes get tired of looking at the same thing, so it's refreshing to pull out another project to work on. And of course, there's no thrill like beginning a NEW project (I am a true Aries!). I guess there are some people who like to start and finish their projects before starting another, but I guess I don't fall into that category! :thumbup:
Old 01-12-2011, 04:48 AM

I always have several projects going at once. Since I hand quilt, I sometimes get tired of looking at the same thing, so it's refreshing to pull out another project to work on. And of course, there's no thrill like beginning a NEW project (I am a true Aries!). I guess there are some people who like to start and finish their projects before starting another, but I guess I don't fall into that category! :thumbup:
Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 AM

I can't deal with more than one quilt project at a time. The first one has to either be finished, put away as a UFO, or otherwise got rid of before I can start a new quilt.

That's why I don't quilt for months on end sometimes, because I can't decide what to do with the current-project-I-don't-want-to-work-on so I can pick a new one.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:05 AM

Yes, I do. I've been sewing and quilting for many years and I ALWAYS have several projects going. I know some quilters moan about UFOs or whatever, but I find that when I have a large quilt or intricate project, switching back and forth keeps me more motivated than slogging through until the bitter end. I finish most everything I start - eventually! I had this quilt that I loved and started. But you had to piece the leaves, cut and repiece, strip piece little squares - the process got OLD. So I put it away for a years or so, brought it back out, was reinspired, finished it, and it won "Show Chairman's Choice Award" at our last guild show.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158668.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 AM

I am usually working on more than one project but have way too many UFO's. I am printing out a engagement calendar and putting a list of UFO's in it like a bookmark. Then I will post diary like notes on each day what I have worked on. I feel real positive about this method. I am also going to have a list of projects for the bazaars I want to sell at. diane/wyoming
Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from WI. Not many quilters just have one project going at a time. I started out that way but it didn't last long.