Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870 >

Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870

Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870

Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Ok, I am finally finally getting a nice, expensive (to me, anyway) sewing machine. I am in the $2000 price range. Both of these machines are a floor model and I can get them each for $1899. The Bernina will come with a walking foot, etc, but if I get the Viking I would have to buy it ($130). I would have to purchase a larger extension-arm-table-thing with either of them also. Bernina $75, Viking $95. So they would end up within $200 of each other.

I like the shop (local quilt store) where I could get the Bernina more than the one (vaccum/sewing machine) where I could get the Viking. Either of them will be the same as far as servicing I think. I can see the shop where I could buy the Bernina from my house, but the Viking one is about 50 miles from me. The Bernina would have to be serviced in the same town as the Viking, but the lqs would take it there for me, so I wouldn't have to drive.

I liked the knee lift on the Bernina, but I LOVED the thread cutter on the Viking.

I felt like the Viking started sewing more "smoothly" than the Bernina. And the Viking has a bigger throat- about an inch bigger.

I liked the buttons on the front of the Bernina a lot more than the Viking. The ones on the Viking I thought were hard to push.

Does anyone have any information about either of these machines that would help me decide? I am about 75 Bernina, 25 Viking right now, simply because I like the seller of the Berninas better. If she was selling Vikings I would buy that no question.

I realize that it's a personal decision but I thought maybe someone would have some input that I hadn't considered.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM
farscapegal

I have Viking machines and Bernina. If I could only have one model I would always go with Bernina. I like my all my Berninas better than my Viking ones. Just a personal choice.

Sybil

Old 07-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Can't really help you...
But....
I had a Viking Designer (not the quilter or embroidery) and I loved it!
I bought a Brother 8500D sewing/embroidery combo...
Had to sell one, so I sold the Viking.
I have sewn on that Brother for 4 years, never a problem. Quilted a few quilts as well, including 2 queen size with batting and fleece backing.
Bought another Brother last year, the Duetta 4500 and I love that machine.
Finally found an excellent deal on a Top of the line Pfaff Creative Vision that I couldn't pass up...
I am really liking that machine and it is so similiar to a Viking. I love it!
(They are probably made by the same)
I don't know about Berninas...but I can say I really like Brother machines and the Pfaff CV...
Just my 2 stitches...
Kirsten
Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 PM

Hi I do love Berninas, but canīt afford one. However Janome are very very good and the parts for them are not so expensive as the Bernina, so check that out before you buy, Hope you donīt mind me confusing you even further. If I were going to buy one I would buy the Janome.

Elle
Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 PM

Find out if the 440 will accomodate the stitch regulator. I can't remember if it does. It it is the 440QE that takes the stitch regulator, then find out how much that machine is. Maybe you could swing that machine. That would be the deciding factor for me. That alone would make free motion quilting or free motion embroidery much easier. I have a Viking Desiginer 1 and enjoy it, but would love to have the Bernina 820 with the built in stitch regulator and big throat space.
My suggestion is to really test drive both machines before you buy. Oh, and I got two emails about a big sale Viking is having. Demo machines for half price. I remember the Diamond was 50% off. This is through the Viking Sewing Gallery stores in Joannes in Plano and Frisco, TX.You might be able to get something a little better.

I'm not familiar with the Sapphire, but I do like the Viking machines. Good luck with your decision making.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 AM

There is only one 440 and actually it is called a 440 QE, or Quilter's Edition. It not only accommodates a Bernina Stitch Regulator, it comes with the machine as standard equipment as does the Bernina Walking foot. I LOVE my BSR.

If you check out the brochure, you can see what is included, you'll notice that listed under Pressure Feet section, it shows both the Walking Foot and BSR (stitch regulator) as standard equipment with the 440. Here is the link to the Brochure:

http://www.berninausa.com/webautor-d...chure_ee31.pdf

Good luck with your choice, no matter what you get a new sewing machine is FUN! :)
Old 07-17-2009, 02:09 AM

Thanks for the link. I do love Berninas, the only thing that stopped me buying was the price of different attachements should I require them. Think my next one is going to be a Janome
Old 07-17-2009, 02:30 AM

Janome would be my choice, already have three of them Marge
Old 07-17-2009, 04:51 AM

I have the Bernina 440QE and I LOVE it!! I think it sews smooth, is easy to operate and the BSR is great (although I'm still learning that). You can also do needle punch with this machine which is just great fun! It has lots of different "quilty" stitches and several "fancy" stitches. Mine doesn't have the thread cutter either (darn it) but what you never had, you can't miss....
Old 07-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I have the Bernina 730E, which does have a thread cutter, and hardly use it, as I prefer to leave longer ends and darn them in. BUT the BSR is incredible. It takes a little while to adapt to it, but then free motion quilting is a breeze - so easy, that you won't want to stop. I am about to post my Doll quilt swap to my partner, and after she gets it, you can check out photos of mine, which has some FMQ on it. I'll post a photo of the last quilt I did, using the BSR. Did you ask for a trial using that? I would, before you make up your mind. Also having a dealer just over the road would be a great factor for me. I have to drive to the other side of the country to get to mine, or go to Northern Ireland, about the same distance, and I still bought the Bernina.

Free motion quilting, using the BSR on my Bernina.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37940[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-37940.jpe