Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 820 >

Bernina 820

Bernina 820

Old 09-11-2020, 07:52 AM

Default Bernina 820

My MIL just gave me her "old" Bernina 820. She had lots of problems with it, and recently moved on to Janome brand machines. That's what I sew on too. I have a Janome 8900 QCP which I love. I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you who have this machine. I went online and read reviews and they were overwhelming negative. Now I'm worried that I just took on a big paperweight. I haven't fired it up yet, but just want to know what to expect.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:00 AM

Ok, so this is the "modern" 820 Sewing Computer, it has a huge throat space and it is the model that did not go over well:
https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Machin...0-QE#!overview

The vintage ones had a much shorter throat. Those are considered to be pretty sturdy little workhorse machines, but I don't have any knowledge about them.

I have a modern 820 that was given to me by a friend who is a Bernina fan. She bought it from another Bernina fan. Both were not a fan of this machine, but I like it fine. Both of the previous owners have gone on to the 770 to much joy and delight and are still Bernina fans.

I was told it was fussy with threads, and after about a year of use I had to replace a thread sensor. But I just use quilting threads and my friend likes to use fancy threads so that may be a different issue. Some of the 820/830s do seem to be lemons, I don't think mine is. I've grown to love many things about it. We have a couple other people on the boards who also own the modern one, and we have quite a few with the older one.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Try it out, what have you got to lose? At the very least, you can use it for a trade in. If she also has a lot of feet, they will have resale value. Some people love their 820 so maybe it will do well for you.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:29 AM

I had a 830 that I bought used, we did not get along for quite a long time. Finally, I figured it out, got some updates, and it worked just fine. The 800 series tend to be fussy. I ended up selling it and I bought a 770 QE which I LOVE! There's tons of YouTube videos out there that can help. This machine, in my opion, has a very high learning curve.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Try it out, what have you got to lose? At the very least, you can use it for a trade in. If she also has a lot of feet, they will have resale value. Some people love their 820 so maybe it will do well for you.
Yes, I do plan on giving it a go and seeing what happen. When it worked I guess there were several features that she really liked. It does have a lot of feet, including a walking foot, which apparently is not needed for this model.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Ok, so this is the "modern" 820 Sewing Computer, it has a huge throat space and it is the model that did not go over well:
https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Machin...0-QE#!overview

The vintage ones had a much shorter throat. Those are considered to be pretty sturdy little workhorse machines, but I don't have any knowledge about them.

I have a modern 820 that was given to me by a friend who is a Bernina fan. She bought it from another Bernina fan. Both were not a fan of this machine, but I like it fine. Both of the previous owners have gone on to the 770 to much joy and delight and are still Bernina fans.

I was told it was fussy with threads, and after about a year of use I had to replace a thread sensor. But I just use quilting threads and my friend likes to use fancy threads so that may be a different issue. Some of the 820/830s do seem to be lemons, I don't think mine is. I've grown to love many things about it. We have a couple other people on the boards who also own the modern one, and we have quite a few with the older one.
This is the "modern" sewing computer. My MIL said it was fussy with threads too and said Presencia thread seemed to work the best. She has been sewing her whole life (she's 80) so knows her way around a sewing machine so I am thinking maybe hers was a lemon.

Thank you for the feedback.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ladywingnut View Post
I had a 830 that I bought used, we did not get along for quite a long time. Finally, I figured it out, got some updates, and it worked just fine. The 800 series tend to be fussy. I ended up selling it and I bought a 770 QE which I LOVE! There's tons of YouTube videos out there that can help. This machine, in my opion, has a very high learning curve.
Yes, I've read that it has a high learning curve. Thanks for the suggestion about YouTube videos :-)
Old 09-11-2020, 11:14 AM

I was told Aurifil and it seems to like that just fine. I'm trying using So Fine by superior as a bottom thread and it is pretty happy with that too. When the sensor went out it was noticeable, I was sewing down binding and could only go an inch at a time without hitting the reset button.

I've been sewing on a vintage machine for most of the last 30 years and was gifted with this. I had very little modern machine use other than my portable Brother(s), and do/did not have a favorite brand. I decided that I could either use it the same way as the vintage machine; i.e., pretty much straight stitch only or I could see what this century has brought

I really like the ability to stop with needle up/down with the foot pedal. I have vision issues and don't see the buttons well but I can tap my foot. I really like the cut thread, didn't expect that! (while I have those vision issues, cut thread is in a handy easily remembered position) Apparently some of the things I didn't like dealing with like partial seams was partly the thread. I also use the knee foot up/down control -- my friend never used that but I really like it.

Most of the time the thread needle function works perfectly -- if it doesn't it is usually a good idea to change/reset the needle.

I love the large throat and the bright lighting. I would like to get a table where I could set it table height for quilting, but I'm ok piecing with it on top, but I'm on the lookout for a table big and sturdy enough to hold it.

The integrated walking foot feature is nice. So is the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator). I feel I could quilt down a queen sized project satisfactorily but I just don't want to! I have done several crib-twin sized projects, I really like having the Serpentine stitch available for quilting down.

It has an extra large bobbin which I can appreciate (especially loaded with the So Fine it goes forever), but I'm annoyed that it is a proprietary bobbin and I can't buy pre-wounds. Especially if I had the embroidery options I'd want pre-wounds.

I usually don't do much with fancy stitches but because the hubby asked I repeat embroidered his name on the bottom of his bowling towel. I've also tried some of the fancy stitches for potential projects.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:23 PM

Bernina did a kind of recall on the 820 and 830. You could bring them to your dealer and get a great trade value toward a 770 or 790. They were a learning step that shouldn't have gone out to the public. But, they helped develop the Next Generation 4, 5 and 7 Series machines, which are amazing!
Old 09-14-2020, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Bernina did a kind of recall on the 820 and 830. You could bring them to your dealer and get a great trade value toward a 770 or 790. They were a learning step that shouldn't have gone out to the public. But, they helped develop the Next Generation 4, 5 and 7 Series machines, which are amazing!
Really? I'll have to look into that.