Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 820QE owners... >

Bernina 820QE owners...

Bernina 820QE owners...

Old 04-11-2013, 03:07 PM

Default Bernina 820QE owners...

I am thinking of upgrading from my Sapphire 875Q to a Bernina 820 QE - just wondering how 820 owners feel about their machine - I have never sewn with a Bernina - it looks really awesome and I am hoping its a reliable machine - so please let me know what the pros/cons with the machine - Thanks....
Old 04-11-2013, 03:34 PM

I have a Bernina 820. I mostly have it on my Bernina Frame for quilting, however, I do take it off to sew with it when I get a chance. I LOVE IT! I do not see myself ever getting another machine, as it has every feature I could possibly want. I have been sewing on Berninas for 25 years and this machine did not disappoint me. I went with an 820 instead of 830 as I did not need the embroidery feature and it was 1000s of dollars less. If you have the $$$$, and you want the top of the line, than it is your machine. You may want to look at the 700s just to compare. Just a warning, this machine is so different then any machine you probably have sewn on, so give it a chance, and don't let it intimidate you.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I took the 820 for a test drive today and was very impressed.
Like any new machine, I know there's bound to be a learning curve before it's totally comfortable.

I'd be interested to know what everyone sees as the best feature(s).

Also, to know what the dislikes have been ... or where it is a fussy-pants.
And yes, some of those things might only be intermittent til you are more familiar ... though I think it's important that we know the worse that is to come!!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:18 PM

The electronic needle threader, the thread cutter, the BSR, large bobbin, automatic machine threader, the knee lift, the tension, there are so many wonderful features, did I mention the countless stitches, I can go on and on. Dislikes would have to be the struggles with the BSR until I had a heavier spring put on it.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 PM

I have the 830 and absolutely love it. There are so many features on this machine - I bought it without test driving it - the shop kept calling to tell me about the machine and I wouldn't call them back, my husband asked why. Told him I wanted that machine really bad. His response was "well then get it" It didn't matter the cost. It was in my sewing room the next afternoon. No regrets at all. My machine likes to be used - he works best when he gets a workout every day. You would really like the 820. It will do everything you ever wanted to do!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
The electronic needle threader, the thread cutter, the BSR, large bobbin, automatic machine threader, the knee lift, the tension, there are so many wonderful features, did I mention the countless stitches, I can go on and on. Dislikes would have to be the struggles with the BSR until I had a heavier spring put on it.
Please do explain a little more about your struggles with the BSR and your need for a heavier spring.

I was amazed at how easy it was to set the tension.I
t seems too hard to believe that it could be true.
Is it really so?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 PM

Do a search here under Bernina 820 and Bernina 830. I've commented on many threads about the 8 series machines...
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 PM

I have an 820 & cannot imagine a better machine (I'm sure they are out there somewhere). It scared the daylights out of me at first but now I would not part with it. The 830 is the exact same machine but with the added embroidery module & fantastic embroidery it does but at a cost of several more thousand dollars. I love so many features on this machine that there are too many to list but offhand: the extra large bobbin, the thread countdown for the bobbin, being able to move the needle right or left, auto foot up/down feature, easy to fill bobbins, easy to thread, the screen, haven't used the BSR much but once I start practicing on it I am sure I will love it too. I do wish the harp area was a little higher & an inch or 2 wider (are we ever satisfied)??? This machine simplifies so many things that make sewing so much more enjoyable & easier. It does get fussy sometimes but that's usually because of user error - maybe not taking the time to make sure it has been threaded properly & making sure the bobbin area & case are free of small threads & lint. If you are vigilant & take care of this machine, it will last for years. You will probably tire of it BEFORE it completely breaks down. Have always owned Singers (mostly top of the line) & they do not hold a candle to the Bernina line. No, I am NOT a TOL machine snob - I buy what I can afford & did not start with TOL machines. Now, that my children are grown I want the best that I can afford. As the commercial says
"I am worth it." !!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by callen View Post
................. As the commercial says "I am worth it." !!!!
All good features ... you forgot that easy to set tension ... though no one has confirmed to me that, so maybe I was hallucinating?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 AM

I have the 830 and if I had the chance I would get the 820 instead because I do not use the embroidery part of the machine like I thought I would. It does take some getting use to however and I suggest you take the free classes that come with the machine!!!! I also have a Bernina 1530(1997) which is my travel machine. I love Bernina but they are not inexpensive!