Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bernina advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Minda
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    How do you calibrate the machine????????? :D
    Check your manual. Look under 'Display' in the index. That's where it is listed in the manual for my 820.

Well, duh! If all else fails, read the instructions!! :lol: :lol: Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    Berninas are built with expectations of traveling to classes or wherever. That's why their accessories case snaps onto them, that's for travel and taking goodies with it.
    They do??? Goes to show I know nothing! Where do they snap to?
    Yes! It's wonderful. I didn't realize the included toolbox snapped onto the back until the owner's class. Bernina also offers suitcase trolleys for taking your machine along, as well as another, matching one for the embroidery unit. Bernina says machines..."...can be easily and elegantly transported thanks to the suitcase system with built-in trolley..."

Here are pictures of my toolbox, so you can see how it goes on the back of the machine.

Toolbox as standalone or take along.
    Name:  Attachment-53317.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  30.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop1
    I have the Bernina Aurora 430 with the BSR and love this machine. It's still pretty spendy, but well worth the cost. I'm not into embroidery, but this sewing machine will do everything else! I used it to quilt up to a king-size quilt using both the walking foot and the BSR without any problems. I've sewn on Bernina's for about 40 years and swear by them.
    I have the same machine. Ditto to what hulahoop said :D

Blog Entries
    Well duh....learn something new everyday! I love how the box snaps to the machine..I'm going to have to run try it!

I know that you can calibrate the machine easily..its in same area as the personal settings I believe. My techie showed me how...I've never had to do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Minda
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    How do you calibrate the machine????????? :D
    Check your manual. Look under 'Display' in the index. That's where it is listed in the manual for my 820.

Do you have the new 820? I just traded up to the new 830. Went to a 820/830 club at my LQS last week, and we decided the only thing it can't do is open a bottle of wine. My dealer will make that suggestion. lol

Hi! I don't have the new fancy Bernina 830 that recently came out. My old Bernina 830 I purchased 37 years ago, paid $550 for it back then and I still love it. It has sewn lots of quilts over the years, as well as clothes, motorcycle, snowmobile and boat seat covers. I've had it timed only twice during that time frame.

I purchased a Bernina Aurora 440QE just a couple of months ago. I love it! I was only half happy about it when I bought it because I dreaded having to learn to use it. It was so easy, and I was sewing on it as if it were an old friend within a couple of days. It also has an embroidery module which is cheaper to add on than purchasing the integrated embroidery unit. The problem is that you have to have a laptop computer sitting with you in order to use it. Since my husband is an engineer, we have old laptops to spare. (Really, it's silly, but that's how he is. Love him anyway.) After using my new machine for a while, I decided I'd like to have the embroidery unit. Rather than thinking of it as an embroidery unit, it can be used for quilting too.

When I bought mine, the store had a "demo" from a quilt shop, and I got $1,000 off the new price. Interestingly, the "new" machine I would have taken home was the demo in the store where I bought it. Hm. I would never know my "demo" was used, and I'm very happy with it. You might be able to find this kind of a deal if you shop around.

MM

I'm also trying to decide which new B. to buy. Leaning towards the 440 because I mostly want to quilt, but am open to suggestions. Sounds like many of you who are quilting bought 630s/640/s or 730's. Would you all mind telling us why you chose the model that you have?

Thanks,
    Margaret

I have a Bernina 1080 and have had it for about 12 to 15 years. right now I have trouble witht he thingy that controls the stitch length. It doesn't work. The default settings are the only ones I have available to me. I have lusted after the Pfaff too. so you are one lucky lady to have both especially if they both work!

I have a Bernina 440QE. I think it is the cheapest with the BSR foot. The difference with the 440 is that you can't quilt using the zig-zag stitch. It also only has a 9mm width for it's design stitches. If you are not going to use the embroidery unit, it's great.

Look for demo models coming soon in your area. They used loads of them at all the classes and booths at the International Quilt Festival.

Blog Entries
    I have the equivalent of the 730 I actually bought it because it was the best "used" deal in the store at the time. After taking the classes and using it...it is the one I would buy if I had had a choice anyway. I like the way it functions and the way you use the computer with the machine. I love being able to use my choice of standard machine designs, USB stick, Artista card or a direct link to my computer for embroidery. I didn't think I would use the embroidery at all....but I found that I really do and I love it!

Do you have the new 820? I just traded up to the new 830. Went to a 820/830 club at my LQS last week, and we decided the only thing it can't do is open a bottle of wine. My dealer will make that suggestion. lol
    I do have the new 820. I love it. I just went to the owners class on Monday. They are fantastic machines. :D (I had the embroidery module with my 730 and only used it once, so I decided I didn't need the 830.)

I HAVE A 440 QUILTERS EDITON, I JUST FINISHED MY EXTRA LARGE KING SIZE QUILT ON IT , I USED THE BSR, IT WAS FABULOUS,

Blog Entries
    And so...did you post a pic of it Campbell? We wanna see!!!

I don't know how to post pictures, I have not done that before, but will if some one could tell me the procedure,

Blog Entries
    Campbell...when you post a reply...you will see a box next to the submit block that says Attach files or Add files or something like that. Click on that...you will see a bar with a button next to it that says browse.

If you have the picture on your computer..."browse" to where it is and then click on the picture..the open button and then ok. When you are done..click Submit on your post...DO NOT CLICK ON PREVIEW. Then your pic will be added.

This material was bought in Shawnee Okla, Made in Lake Havasu City Az, on my new Bernina 440 QE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Sandpat, I did it Thanks, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks, (B.E.G.)I just had a birthday , 75 th,--------- Betty Campbell

Here is one of the corners that I added to make it bigger, it only had one border , I needed a 20 inch drop so I just kept adding borders and corner blocks, I do not have a dust ruffle under it, I did not think it would look good on a desert quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Campbell -- beautiful quilt!! :D

Blog Entries
    Oh Campbell...its gorgeous! Now hurry...go post it in the Pictures section so you can get proper ooohhs and awwws! And thats a great birthday celebration by the way! Congrats!..you old dog :lol: :lol:

Ok Ladies, here I go again , I don't know any thing about the picture section, tell me how to do that and I will , Betty

Blog Entries
    At the top of this page where it says the title...click on where it says Quilting Forum.....click on Main...that will take you to a list of sections on this board...you will see a section marked Pictures...click on that..then click on the New Topic button at the top left. Type in your title..like My Greatest quilt ever...or whatever you want to put. Then post your pics just like you did on this thread...Easy peesy! And well worth posting...I love that quilt and everyone else will want to see it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2