Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bernina Aurora 440 QE or 570 QE?

Bernina Aurora 440 QE or 570 QE?

Hi, I am hoping for help with my indecision. I currently have a Bernina 1130 which I love, but am looking for another machine with BSR so I can quilt more on my machine, I get frustrated a bit with free-motion on the 1130. I have found a few wonderful Auroras and am considering one of those and they seem to be solid machines with great reviews. But alas I went to the local quilt store yesterday and am also loving the 570 QE. This one is a bit of a budget stretch for sure, but I could pull it off. I am just trying to decide which machine people might recommend. I have been quilting 16 years, but usually have the actual quilting done by someone else, but I would love to do more of this myself. I love the auto threader on the 570 and the better throat space.... Has anyone used both machines that might be able to help guide me a bit more? I am hoping to buy another pretty quickly. Thanks so much!

The new 570 QE.

I have the Aurora 440QE with the BSR and I use it as an everyday machine as well as a quilting machine. I enjoy it very much. I am not sure what you need to know about it. It has been a wonderful machine and has given me no trouble whatsoever.

I also have the bernina artista 180 upgraded, with the embroidery module that I use to embroider with. It has been a great little machine as well.

Before that I only have a Bernina Record 180. It was a real workhorse and I gave it to my sister in Arizona.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-07-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I forgot to tell you that there is a site that rates machines. It is called Pattern review, an on line sewing site. You might want to go over and see how they rate the 570QE.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Does your Aurora 440 have duel feed? Some information I have seen states they do have duel feed and other info not. It is nice that you enjoy your machine so much. I love my old 1130, but just want a few more options than I have now.

I have the 440 and I love it. The BSR helped me with FMQ, but I now have a longarm. I don't know anything about the 570, but I wanted to quilt on the machine then I would definitely go for a larger throat space.

I have the 440QE and it is a great machine for piecing, not so great for quilting (IMO). The BSR is nice but the throat space is tight enough to cause problems for most quilters. The 440 does not have a dual feed feature - there is a separate walking foot for that.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

My 440 fits onto the grace frame for larger quilts. But, you are right about the harp not being real big.
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

What is most appealing to me is the harp space on the 570 QE. I think I may end up with the same issue as my 1130 with the 440 QE if I don't buy a machine with a larger harp space. I love the 770 QE, but that is out of my range. I also heard Bernina is coming out with a new 4 series in September that will have a much lower price than the 570 QE, but many of the bells and whistles! However, I am somewhat impatient! :-)

I would go for the 570 for the extra harp space. Also, I assume the 440's are second hand? I would prefer to buy new with any computerized machine, as it's the computer boards that will go bad eventually, and eventually they become hard to find if you need a replacement.

I've also learned my lesson about skimping on harp space. In the long run you save money by buying the larger machine first, rather than settling for "good enough" and then realizing it doesn't actually meet your needs.

Whichever one you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

The harp on the 570 is only an inch longer than the 440, if my research is correct. I had a 440 and there just wasn't enough space to quilt for me. I upgraded to a 730 and love it. It has a much bigger harp. Check it out to see what the cost would be at your dealer.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you all so much! You have been really helpful. So I had decided on the B570 QE and the plot has thickened again. I just found a used 750 QE for less than the cost of the new 570 QE.... I spoke with the lady at the quilt store that owns it and she said it was a great machine and she loved it. It has even more harp space and the other features that I would love to have. So now I am really leaning toward that machine, I just cannot afford a new 7 series, but this sounds like it might be the perfect option. Should I go for it?

Yes! I would definitely go for the used 750, as long as it comes with the BSR.

Thanks Jennifer. It does come with BSR. I am super excited to have found it. Less expensive and more space!

Win win! You will be very happy with that machine I think..
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by tippydog90 View Post
    Thank you all so much! You have been really helpful. So I had decided on the B570 QE and the plot has thickened again. I just found a used 750 QE for less than the cost of the new 570 QE.... I spoke with the lady at the quilt store that owns it and she said it was a great machine and she loved it. It has even more harp space and the other features that I would love to have. So now I am really leaning toward that machine, I just cannot afford a new 7 series, but this sounds like it might be the perfect option. Should I go for it?
    If it comes with a warranty, absolutely!

It does come with a warranty, which is really nice! I am really excited to have found this machine!

What a great outcome. Grab the 750 - you will be so glad you did.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I have the 440QE and love it. It is a pleasure to use. BUT I would go for more throat space. It is difficult to get anything large through this one. I haven't seen the 570 QE but would think long about the increased throat space. I think it would be worth it.
    "Finish each day and be done with it ..... Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely."

Well I did the credit app for the used Bernina 750 QE, was approved and the shop was busy so they said they would call me back and finalize the purchase, etc. Called me back 90 minutes later and said that someone else in the store sold the machine to someone else. Needless to say I was a bit miffed that they did a credit check which dings your credit, then sold the machine to someone else. So now I am back where I started. Really confused.... Can anyone provide the pros/cons of a Babylock Aria vs. a Bernina 7 series? I did find a nice Aria but have never sewn on a Babylock and believe it or not, our local dealer has no demo models to try out. Kind of frustrating. I am definitely going for a used machine from a reputable shop, I just can't afford the new price tag on machines with better throat space. Thanks for any input on Babylock vs. Bernina. I am keeping my old Bernina 1130 and my primary need for a new machine is free motion quilting.

What did you find out or decide on?
    Jan Marie
    http://www.quiltwalktalk.blogspot.com
    "You may be sorry that you spoke, sorry you stayed or went, sorry you won or lost, sorry so much was spent. But as you go through life, you'll find you're never sorry you were kind."
    Herbert V. Prochnow