Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bernina Sewing Machine? Yes?

I don't have a 215 but I have the older 125 (I think they are very much alike) I think it is a very good machine and have not had any issues with it. I have several machines so normally use this as my take with (I got it at a very good price when a store was closing) and love the way it sews.

I have had a Bernina 430 for 6 years and love it. I can use any thread including Coates and Clark and have had no issues with it needing cleaning although I always clean my machines fairly frequently. I have only had it serviced once and I use it almost every day. My dealer is great and had a good class for me when it was new.
    It is the Rolls Royce!
    Beth in Maryland

I would suggest that you try a few different machines from different companies. I did that when I was looking for a new machine. It really helped me get a feel for various machines. I ended up with a Janome and couldn't be happier. I've had it for 10 years and have never had a problem. I'm glad I took the time to scope out my options because I was able to find a good machine in my price range with the options I wanted. Good Luck.

Thank you everyone.. now I am looking into Janome machines too... HSN has some great ones with payment plans... also comes with all the extra feet and such! ... I did love how the bernina sewed... BUT.. if there is something out there cheaper and works great then I want to go for that... I have never bought the best.. but yet want it to last me. Would hate to get a machine and not like it!

i had an old 1963 kenmore that sounded like a tractor... i got a bernina 440QE for my birthday one year ( i would never have spent that much on myself)... but this is the best machine i've ever owned! you will be amazed at the things you don't have to think about anymore! tension, stitch regulation,... i don't know if your model has a stitch regulator or an embroidery attachment... if you're gonna spend the $$$ get a cadillac! i love my little beauty! she's smarter than i am.

II had a Bernina 730 Record I just sold because I didn't enjoy it like I thought I would. Definitely more modern machines for me, except I LOVE my 201 Singer! I have a new Pfaff Ambition Essential. Has the built in walking foot as well as multiple quilting stitches. Over 120 decorative stitches in all. It has been a good machine so far. Still trying to get used to it though. May want to check it out too. I looked at the new Berninas too, but I couldn't justify the cost.

I would not a buy a sewing machine from HSN ... I regardless of which brand you buy, it is always smart to have a local dealer for education, service, and community. I bought a new near top of the line Brother machine from eBay, as it turned out, it was a lemon. The brother dealer refused to service it under warranty since I did not buy the machine from him. He complained about people who buy from Walmart and online and then go crying to him for service or to teach them how to use it ... I guess he has a point. But I would suggest you visit the SM dealers in your area, get a feel for how they could treat you as a customer and do try several brands ... for the most part, they all have good features. My Brother is in the closet and I bought a Bernina which I love. My friend has a Janome and she wins State Fair medals all the time and I have liked several Janomes that I have tried (especially their little 12 pounder , QC something or other, it had all the features I would consider necessary and had a good solid feel to it (I think it runs in the 600-700 range) but my DH put his foot down about collecting machines after having spent several thousand on my Bernina. Good luck.

try sewvac direct.com and get a janome , and they have lay way
    #They Call Me QuickStitch!!

I love my used Bernina 430.

Bernina all the way!! I have 2 Bernina sewing machines and 1 sewing/embroidery machine. I have had Bernina machines for 14 yrs. and have never regretted buying them.
    Karen in Arkansas

I was where you are about a month ago. I was looking to upgrade my 30-something Kenmore machine. I was convinced a Bernina was the way to go. They are high quality machines, however I couldn't justify the high price tag. I tried out several machines by different manufacturers, did my internet research and talked to quilters I know. I ended up with something else that gave me more bang for my buck and does everything I want/need it to do.

My suggestion would be to know what you need in a machine and test drive several before making your purchase.

Happy machine shopping!

I love, love my Bernina -- have had it for years, and its wonderful!

Blog Entries
    I find it interesting that so many Bernina owners have more than one. I too own two, my original Bernina 830 Record that I bought 40 years ago for $329 (a lot of money for a nursing student in 1972), she still purrs like a kitten. I also have a 440QE with embroidery, she is my regular machine for daily use. Some of the lower priced models are not made in Switzerland any more, I would be careful about buying one of them. It is easy to be star-struck in the dealership, watching someone show you the glories of a new machine. My advice would be to make sure the machine does what you need it to do, and to take all the lessons available, so you understand how to use the machine to it's best advantage. Good Luck and have fun.

Go for it ! I have two Berninas, 180 E for embroidery and 150 QE for sewing. LOVE my BERNINAS !
    Best machine available today. I would never buy anything else. These machines last for 50 years.
    You'll never need to buy another machine.
    You can always look for a used Bernina...

I have 2 Berninas and love them both. The older one is a 1630 and is a real workhorse and always gives great stitches. The other is a 180 sewing/embroidery machine and an awesome machine. I don't think I will ever consider another brand even if they are pricey, you can always count on them to perform well.
    Linda

I have a Bernina 450 with the embroidery module and absolutely love it. I also have a Janome 1600P. No complaints here on either one. Have fun trying them out.

Blog Entries
    When looking for a machine I decided on a bernina because they are not plastic imports but metal workhorses. The only problem I had last year was the weight because I had 2 operations which made it too heavy to carry to classes.vi bought a light weight machine to take to class. Would not part with bernina.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I own 2 Berninas, an Activa and 440 QE. I saved up for both of them because they are pricey. An important consideration is your dealer, will you have good support, warranty/service and lessons on your new machine?There are many excellent brands out there and you will need to try some out. Go with a couple of fabric swatches and a list of must have features. I wanted a good buttonhole stitch for appliqué, needle up/down for satin stitch, adjustable foot pressure and the BSR for Fmqing. What are your must haves?
    Sounds like a great machine, but what is BSR?

BSR is Bernina Stitch Regulator. I have had two Berninas - the older 820, which I had for about 25 years. Just traded it in for a new 820. I'm still getting used to the new one. Also have a Brother from Wal*Mart, which I carry around because it's only about 10#. When I was checking, I had it down to a Janome and a Bernina. Because I had my first Bernina for so long, I went with it even though it was more pricey.

I have a Bernina 180 which is my traveling macine and a Bernina 550QE. Bought them both on 48 months no interest payments with a Bernina card. It's easy enough to get if you have a job. Right now I think they have a deal where there is no intreset until FEb. 2017 if you spend a certain amount. Go online to Bernina USA.com and check it out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    Janome's have always been great machines also. I have a Bernina and a Janome and love them both.
    I never had a Bernina, but I love my Janome 6600P.
    Pat

Blog Entries

No more new Bernina for me!

Before you decide MAKE A LIST of what you want your machine to do. I have a Bernina 1260 that is currently in the hands of a sewing machine master mechanic with some minor issues but she's been "rode hard" and never failed me. She more than deserves a complete overhaul in the mechanic's spa whether she needs it or not. I have had her routinely serviced but this time she's getting the complete physical. I would NOT buy a more recent Bernina model no matter what. BUT, all I ever do anymore is piece tops and my 1260 is the best for what I need. I no longer sew garments and, besides piecing, only do routine mending. Longarmers are my favorite people in all the world. So, I don't need more than what I have.
    Why would I not get a more recent model? My Bernina is mostly mechanical with only minimal electronic components. I live in the swamp at least 2 hours from a dealer. Bernina, of all sewing machine makes, takes a very proprietary stand with regard to the repair and replacement of any parts of their machines. You cannot take a Bernina to just anyone. They can't get needed parts. And, this last week on a retreat run by a Bernina dealer, I overheard her tell someone complaining about it that, yes, the newest models will "warn you" twice that they need service. The third time they won't go anymore. I don't know if that's true but what a major problem that would cause me located where I am.

I am happy with the Bernina I have but if I needed or wanted the bells and whistles now available, I would start with a Janome. My niece paid $600 for hers and it sews every bit as well as my Bernina. She's married to a career air force officer and can get support if needed everywhere she's landed.

Many of the wonderful top of the line names aren't currently owned or made in the countries where they made their great names. As a librarian, I would encourage to do your research after you make your list to see what will suit you best. If I were where you are and didn't need much more than a great straight stitcher or zigzag, I'd go for a beloved model of yesteryear with all metal guts and no electronics. PM me if you decide to go that route, I know a great source that you can rely on. This is the first place I would go for a "new" machine. They are very reasonable workhorses and there's a reason so many are still around, going strong, and easy to repair if needed.
    Last edited by mhollifiel; 01-31-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: additional
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Blog Entries
    Check out this thread posted today on the board!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...e-t212483.html
    Good tips!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I own 2 Berninas, an Activa and 440 QE. I saved up for both of them because they are pricey. An important consideration is your dealer, will you have good support, warranty/service and lessons on your new machine?There are many excellent brands out there and you will need to try some out. Go with a couple of fabric swatches and a list of must have features. I wanted a good buttonhole stitch for appliqué, needle up/down for satin stitch, adjustable foot pressure and the BSR for Fmqing. What are your must haves?
    I agree with tartan. I have a high end Bernina series 8 model 820 & it is a fabulous machine, very pricey but quality thru & thru. The most important feature is to have the support of a good dealer. When I sew on 1 of my "other" machines, it makes me appreciate my Bernina even more. Buy what you can afford & save for a better machine or check into trade ins from a trusted dealer.
    Dance like no one is watching

Try Baby Lock machines, much easier to use, bobbin on top easy to replace. I have 440QE Bernina, an inexpensive Brother, a Singer Featherweight, another Singer. and a Baby Lock top of line embroidery machine. The Bernina has always been a problem. Marigold86

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast