Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist.... >

Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist....

Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist....

Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and would not trade it for anything.
I am not familiar with Bernina 430 model that you are looking at. You really should compare the features. If you quilt, then the Janome has a built in accufeed system that does not require you to have a bulky walking foot. (you can see so much better than a wakling foot) I could not live with out the thread cutter button for piecing. (not a single thread to trim when you finish.) Just compare those features on these machines and the price difference. Berninas are always more expensive for the same features.(so are their accessory feet, cleaning and repair..if needed)Not to worry about the shop people... there are several yahoo groups out there for instant information and support on the machine you choose. I have enjoyed my Janome 6500 group (it started before the 6600 came out) so it is technically now the 6500/6600 group. The other thing you may want to consider is the fact that Janome is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year and is coming out with a new machine..,.,.Janome owners are waiting with baited breath. They say it is a cross between their best quilt machine (6600) and their embroidery feature....we don't really know yet. If the new machine is not what you want..,(suppose to be out in April), the 6600 will come down in price when the new machine arrives..... I purchased my 6600 a year and a half ago for $1200 with the clear table. Features and price are what I would consider. Good luck and happy quilting.
Di in TX
Old 01-19-2010, 07:07 AM

I don't have any experience with Janome. I started on a Singer years ago, and last year bought the new Bernina 830. I absolutely love it and all the features. My dealer and all her employees are exceptionally friendly. I have thoroughly enjoyed taking classes and meeting other customers. I have to admit that customer service means a lot to me. I couldn't buy from a dealer that I felt wasn't really willing to help me, no matter how good the machine was. If you have any problems at all, you need to feel comfortable that the dealer wants you to be satisfied.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:35 AM

I shopped and shopped and researched and researched and got my Bernina a couple of years ago. I have never regretted it. Mine does have the embroidery feature as well, which I haven't used as much as I would like, but I'm still glad it's there and available to me. The little I've used it was VERY fun, and exciting. I would always highly recommend a Bernina!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

THANK YOU ALL for all your great input!!! I'm still at a crossroads............but I do think I'm going to check to see what the Janome dealer would do for me should I buy now and decide I want the new one in April. I have to admit, though, that I figure whatever is coming out is likely to be much more than I'm comfortable spending so I may as well have something new to play with right now :) I will say, it's refreshing to hear so many compliments about not only ONE but TWO companies! How awesome!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 AM

I have three Janome's. I really like mine. The service is good and I never have to get them repaired. Go where you get the best service. I'm sure the Bernina is a very nice machine too.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 AM

I always choose the red car.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 AM

I quite with a small group on Wednesday night, we have been together about 5 years. We all have the Janome 6600, and love the machine. I have quilted for 38 years and this is the most quilting friendly machine I have ever owned. I would not trade my 6600 for ANY machine on the market. I also belong to a Quilt Guild and we have a Cottage Group just for people with a Janome 6600.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
THANK YOU ALL for all your great input!!! I'm still at a crossroads............but I do think I'm going to check to see what the Janome dealer would do for me should I buy now and decide I want the new one in April. I have to admit, though, that I figure whatever is coming out is likely to be much more than I'm comfortable spending so I may as well have something new to play with right now :) I will say, it's refreshing to hear so many compliments about not only ONE but TWO companies! How awesome!
Looks to me like you really can't go wrong with either machine as far as the machine goes. If the Janome dealer is the better dealer I think I'd go with the Janome and just go get it nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooowwwww!!! LOL I know the wait is killing me!!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 AM

Just my humble opinion but I'd go with the Janome. You will have future dealings with the LQS that sells them and will you feel more comfortable at your favorite shop or one that doesn't value customer service?

We have a shop like that near us, horrible customer service. They act as if they're doing you a favor to even wait on you. They carry several lines but I would't buy from them. I travelled to another shop 30 miles to our north and they were wonderful. It was "sale day" and I was buying a used Janome and yet she took time away from others to show me the features and to offer me classes, free, anytime I needed them. They are always there for me when I have a question so for me, it's a no brainer to buy from them. Oh yes, and I love my Janome.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 AM

I have had several models of Janome and have loved every one on them. I currently have a top of the line but have talked to people who have the more portable models and they love them. I use my machines almost daily, doing garments, quilting and alterations and my Janome has been a workhorse. My dealer will also clean mine when it needs it. He works me in because he knows how much I sew. That is worth a lot.....