Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bernina walking foot problem >

bernina walking foot problem

bernina walking foot problem

Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

I hope someone can help me..I have a Bernina Artista 180 which I love and all problems so far have been operator error which I also hope is the case here. Here is the problem; when I sew with my walking foot i get the teeniest, tiniest stitches and no matter what I try I cant adjust the stitch length. I can adjust the stitch length with other feet on though.
It isn't normally a problem unless I have to try to unpick stitches and that is almost impossible and takes forever.
On the upside it is great for paperpiecing as the paper comes away so easily!
Hope someone has encountered this problem and can help me!
Note: I just measured the stitches and I can fit 5 stitches in a quarter inch.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:53 PM

I had this happen on my 440 but was able to adjust the length. I'll be watching to see why this is. Thanks for asking!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM

so sorry hate it when my toys dont want to play nice
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Have you tried calling the Bernina 800 number? I had good luck with Viking when I had questions about my walking foot.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM

If you have a dealer near you maybe you could call and discuss it with them...or even take it in and show them what is happening and hopefully they can help you get the problem corrected.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:48 PM

This has happened with my Bernina, I was told this is a feed dog problem.
One thing I would check is if it is installed right. If you have a instructions, check them
If it works right for the other feet and not that one.. that is the only thing I can think of.
I have put mine on wrong before.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suezquilts
One thing I would check is if it is installed right. If you have a instructions, check them
If it works right for the other feet and not that one.. that is the only thing I can think of.
I agree. Make sure that it's all the way on the shank and that the fork thingy is correctly installed on the screw that holds your needle. If the fork is not in the right spot the feed dogs on the foot won't coordinate with the feed dogs on the sewing machine and will throw the stitch length off. Oh, you didn't drop your feed dogs, did you? they should be up with this foot.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM

Do you have the screw that holds the needle in place on your machine between the bar on the walking foot that has a big "C" or some may call it a big "U" on it's side ??? THis bar goes up and down. Just take the foot completely off and then put it on again with the needle clamp in this big "C" and it will work. Sue
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Originally Posted by suezquilts
I agree. Make sure that it's all the way on the shank and that the fork thingy is correctly installed on the screw that holds your needle. If the fork is not in the right spot the feed dogs on the foot won't coordinate with the feed dogs on the sewing machine and will throw the stitch length off. Oh, you didn't drop your feed dogs, did you? they should be up with this foot.
Thanks everyone for your help. I wish I dropped the feed dogs because then maybe my problem might have been solved...I just looked at the directions that came with it but they are not very clear..the best i can see is on the cover of the instruction leaflet and it looks like I have it on right...
:cry: maybe a trip to the Bernina shop is in order. i will have to find another shop than the one I bought it from as they are rip offs (another story) at least I can still sew with it so on with my potholders :thumbup: 2 done 8 to go!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 PM

this is a silly answer but did you remember to attach the arm to the screw( for holding the needle ) on the right side. I forgot once and it was because of that..