Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Iron

Best Iron

My 20 year old Rowenta is not getting as hot as it should. What brand of iron do you recommend? Looking for a good one for not so much$$$.
    Irma

Banned
    one of the less expensive ones. Then when it quilts you won't be out a lot of money. Lots of comments here on the Board about this subject. General opinion is the same.

In the last 10 years I spent big $$ on top of the line Rowenta's , both died ... so I learned a pricey lesson. I think your Rowenta was in a good vintage year and it lasted . Now I purchase cheap irons with a stainless sole plate ( the teflon coating can be very problematic). I also figured out the Rowenta was aggrivating my Carpel tunnel. The weight and the repeat motion was just killer... but I did not figure it out till my light weight iron !
    I do love a lot of steam , so now I just use a spritz bottle , and my cheap iron is out lasting my last Rowenta.

dd
    I have a Rowenta and I feel the same way. I thought maybe the weight of the iron would help with the pressing. No it just makes me tired faster. It gets clogged after a while with my tap water so I have to buy distilled water. Now I just use a spray bottle most of the time. Back to the cheapies for me next time.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I havent been quilting to long but im happy with my jcp outlet iron,a whole 9.99

Bought one at Costco for $25, can't remember how many, many years ago. Still going strong. Sunbeam.

I recently bought a Sunbeam Turbo Steam Master at WalMart. I think it was priced at a little over $28. I REALLY like this iron--I even kept the box so I buy the exact same one whenever I buy one for a Gift (Bridal Showers or for Graduations). This is the best iron I have ever had and the price was ery reasonable.

Blog Entries
    toss the Rowenta. i had mine for years and had no trouble what so ever and didn' t pay attention to so many complaints about them. i figured my old one was just fine. one day i plugged it into a power strip outside my sewing room and it blew the strip out. luckily my t.v. wasn't harmed. I tossed it out that day.
    i bought a silver and blue trimmed Shark from Target and it's been fine so far. good luck.

Blog Entries
    I have a shark and it gets the job done. With my wrists I had to get an iron that didn't weigh a ton. My old iron didn't have an automatic shutoff and I had to remember to pull the plug. This one has the automatic shut off and it is a bit annoying - but it is something that I better get used to. DH likes it because it does a good job pressing his shirts.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I am on my 2nd Oliso. 1st died after 4 years and they replaced it for free. I also have the Velocity by Reliable. I don't like where the heat settings are. They are on the handle so I keep shutting it off or lowering the heat. But the steam from that is unbelievable.

Black and Decker - purchased maybe 20-30 years ago for ironing clothes and whatever. If I don't use the steam it works fine. Agree about stainless steel plate - still going strong!

All the stupid thing has to do is heat up. For this I need to pay $150? For 15 varieties of heating, wetting, sizzling? uh-uh.
    And I hate the new irons which seem so big and pointy. Going after a 3" square is like sending the QE II to meet a rowboat.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

DH bought me a Rowenta Professional from Nancy's Notions in Oct. 3010 for my B'day, it was big a surprise. I would never paid so much for an iron.
    Well about 4 months ago it started leaking. It is very upsetting, as we all know they are not cheap irons. My little iron I bought for $10 at WM for quilt workshops is a great little iron. Buy cheap.

I bought a inexpensive $10 Black and Decker and it is as good as the expensive irons. The Rowenta iron I had would spit and leak dark spots. Quit using it and bought the B&D.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I agree, get a basic light weight iron. I had a cheap iron for about 15 years. It finally retired, then I purchased a $50 iron, thought it was last forever. I was wrong, 1 yr later, dead...... Purchased a $10 cheap sunbeam and it's been three years, so now if she quits it won't be nearly as painful.

I have an Oliso. I got a great price at the county fair. I love it and wish I would have purchased it years ago. I will never go back.
    Michelle

May your bobbin always be full! ~Author Unknown

I went to our local Restore store and bought an old 1950 GE iron. Heats up HOT and steams perfectly. Cost...$2.00!!!!!

I have a Hamilton Beach I got at Walmart. I think I paid over $20 but under $30 .... heats great and make lots of steam.

Blog Entries
    I love my Rowenta (sorry everyone). Had for over 8 years. Bought my daughter one at Sams Club paid $59, wouldn't buy their top of the line.

[QUOTE=aborning;4919436]I recently bought a Sunbeam Turbo Steam Master at WalMart. I think it was priced at a little over $28. I REALLY like this iron--I even kept the box so I buy the exact same one whenever I buy one for a Gift (Bridal Showers or for Graduations). This is the best iron I have ever had and the price was ery reasonable.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info, I'm going to WalMart to find this iron, hope they have it.
    Irma

I have an Oliso and it is the best one I have ever had. Never spits. It is expensive but would highly recommend it.

Banned
    Yes, I learned years ago that it's not the weight of the iron that gets the job done well, it's the heat. (I think the myth that it's the weight of the iron that's important to good pressing is the reason so many quilters have or are suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome.) Irons have to get HOT to press well. I have a Rowenta that I got as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago and it is a great iron, but it's heavy. Give me a Black & Decker iron any day of the week. They get super hot, are light weight and are very reasonably priced.

I am on my 3rd Rowenta. I think I finally found a good one. It has 1600 Watts with an auto turn off. The other 2 lasted a couple of years and were awful. Costs too much to send them in for service.

I have a Rowenta powerglide sew n press. I love it. I bought my first one in 1997 ($40 at Jo-Anns) and had it for 10 years, but it broke when it fell off the ironing board or table or something. (bummer). That was in 2007. Then in shopping for a new iron I saw that they all had the auto shut off, which I hate, especially when sewing, pressing, sewing pressing, etc. I like the iron to stay on and be hot when I go back to it.

So, I found my same Rowenta sew n press on ebay, it was brand new , never used. I think I paid either $30 or $40, Yay! I was very happy to find it. It irons great and it does not have the auto shut off! I am very careful with where I place it so I don't break this one. It is an old model and probably would not be able to replace it again.

This iron is only used for my quilting, and no one else in the house uses it. I have another iron for clothes ironing.

The main feature I would look for is to not have auto shut off. My first iron when i got married was $10 and it lasted 13 years. Back then they did not have auto shut off.

I have purchased two Rowentas from Nancy's Notions and neither proved satisfactory. THe spray mechanism on both failed early. One gets hot; one doesn't. SO I use my spray bottle. It always works as I expect it to.

Blog Entries
    Rowenta is now made in China not in Germany as the older ones were. The company was sold several years ago. the best iron made for home use is the Reliable brand if you want steam. I found the no steam iron and it is fantastic. No worry about leaks ever! LOL It is available at several places online and under $30.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...Dry_Iron/42277

I ordered mine here: http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...-dry-iron.html

If you are lucky you may find one at Home Depot left over from when they use to have this iron in stock.
    Got fabric?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast