Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best iron?

Question Best iron?

Hello all,

I am relatively new to quilting. I actually just picked it up again after about a 6 year hiatus. My question is what is the best iron to use that is not too expensive? I have an inexpensive Sunbeam iron that doesn't really take the wrinkles out of the fabric. I have heard there are quilters' irons and am wondering where to get one? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have two T-Fal irons and I love them. I keep one for my quilting and the family uses the other.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I have had two Rowentas in the past and both of them leaked after a rather short period of time. I started to use a GE steam/dry iron that I got at BBB with a 20% off coupon. I have used it five or six years and it is just fine. I doubt that I will ever consider another expensive iron.

I have the Rowenta ProMaster for 2 years now and love it. Tons of steam, a little on the heavy side. Heats up really quickly.

I was lucky enough to find a Panasonic Cordless on sale for $38 and I absolutely love it!

Thanks everyone! I will be on the look out for a better iron!

Vermont Country Store dry iron. $30.00. Best iron I have ever had. They are out of stock right now but call and ask when they will have them - the iron is worth the wait!

I have used one of the Panasonic cordless irons for about 2 years now and I'll never go back to corded! It's not perfect - it only heats up while sitting on its cradle so it can cool down on you if you don't put it down often enough. But that small drawback is totally worth not dealing with a cord anymore!

It has a detachable water tank, so refilling it is a lot easier. I can leave it heating on the cradle while I fill it up and then click the tank back onto the body and it's good to go! It also has a retractable cord and a heat-proof lid that latches onto the cradle, so it can be taken to classes or even stored in a cabinet without waiting for it to cool down. Very portable, for being a full-size iron!

Definitely my most favorite iron ever. If it ever dies I will buy another one just like it! I should watch the prices and see if I can grab a backup on sale before they stop making them, in fact.

There isn't one model that stand out. I got my Rowenta at a great price at Costco. Heats up quick and the bust of steam when I need it. No dripping or spitting with this one.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

For a dry iron (one that doesn't steam), look at the Continental iron on Amazon.com. It runs about $30, gets hot and doesn't have an automatic shut off. I have found that a light spritzing of water or a 50/50 solution of water and Best Press are better for me that using steam. Also, if you plan on doing any fusible work, the dry iron is ideal, because you don't have any unfused spots because of steam holes.

I do have one of the new Panasonic cordless irons, which I use alot; however the auto-shut off is a pain.

I just got a dry iron at Allbrands. I have about 5 cheaper ones that I can use a door stops. This one was about $100 and is called a professional. So far so good. I like the weight, it is a little heavy. The only problem is that you have to lay it flat on a silicone pad (which is sent with iron). I am very please with it. Just wanted to give heads up. I had to search hard to find this.
    My words of wisdom start early and enjoy longer.

Blog Entries
    I have a cheapo $6 from Walmart with a hugh blast of steam. I like the cheap ones, if it get dropped, no biggie. I usually get a new iron every 5-6 yrs or so, and for six dollars, I can upgrade when I need to. sometimes they last 10 years.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I recently got a T-Fal iron and really like it. It works better than the Rowenta I had before it. Great steam action:-)

McWilter that Continental iron sounds exactly like the one at Vermont country store! Its a great iron.

Best iron is one with high wattage to remove wrinkles. That said I don't turn it up to the highest setting when I don't need to get the wrinkles out of fabric. Ironing blocks don't need such high heat unless they are wrinkled. I have had an iron very similar to this one....sole plate the same, color different for a few years now. Took it to a retreat and lots of the girls used it. They all want one now. You can order it here.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ultraglide-Res...panasonic+iron

Quote Originally Posted by kate henry View Post
    I just got a dry iron at Allbrands. I have about 5 cheaper ones that I can use a door stops. This one was about $100 and is called a professional. So far so good. I like the weight, it is a little heavy. The only problem is that you have to lay it flat on a silicone pad (which is sent with iron). I am very please with it. Just wanted to give heads up. I had to search hard to find this.

I have one like this as well but it is a steam iron - EuroPro. I really love it. Does require distilled water but so does my Rowenta so no issues there.

For heat nothing beats a rowenta. I havn't found an iron that doesn't leak yet. The cordless panasonic is very nice as well, used it in a class once. I also have an oliso I like but the rowenta gets hotter and way faster it just started to leak way too much but it lasted me about 8 years with light leakage and is now my dry iron. I use my oliso for steam but that leaks as well I have found. The oliso cost twice as much but I like rowenta better just couldn't deal with heavy leakage. I hate sunbeam irons and have one, never use it. I had a really bad experience with black and decker iron as well.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Look for one that glides easily over the fabric. Mine does not - however it was a cheap one from Walmart. Just my pet peeve. When I buy a new one, it will definitely be high on my list of features....
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Blog Entries
    I have the same as Kathleen. I struggled with irons (three duds in a row) for months, and finally picked up the T-Fal at Wally World and have never regretted the purchase....yet!

This iron is the best. I love the way it works and glides over fabric. The only time I had a problem was my fault, I pressed some canvas and it had enough sizing to stand by itself. It did a number on the bottom. Got it cleaned up and was back to normal. I would get another I a heart beat.
    My words of wisdom start early and enjoy longer.

I happen to love my Sunbeam, which I picked up at a yard sale. It's not doing now because it has hit the floor too many times. If I were to buy new, I would get another like it. You might look into the wattage of whatever iron you get. Maybe your Sunbeam is low wattage.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a Shark that I use with steam and a black and decker that I use without steam. Both were inexpensive (from Walmart) and both have a long cord.