Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting? >

Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting?

Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting?

Old 08-29-2015, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I have tried this, but squeezing the bottle really hurts my hands. Its fine at first, but not too far in the process I have to stop. Does anyone else have this problem? If you do what do you do?
I find that if I dilute the glue with some water (roughly 1 part water to 3 parts glue) it streams out of the bottle much better. I also hold the glue bottle 6-8" above my work surface and get the glue coming out in a thin stream and then go quickly. One squeeze usually goes a long way. The glue will bead a bit and not be a continuous line at points on the batting but that is fine as it will stick just fine in the end. Trying to squeeze the bottle and drag along the batting was hard for me as well as using the glue full strength.
I would caution about diluting it too much and doing it this way as the glue will seep through the batting and may not stick as well.
To me the method of rolling it on with a paint roller or putting it on with a sponge brush seems messy and you don't need to cover the whole surface anymore than you thread baste or pin baste the whole surface.
Think of glue basting as an alternative to thread or pin basting and not spray basting.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:01 AM

There are several videos on the method. Watch a couple and see which appeals to you. https://www.google.com/search?q=vide...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 08-29-2015, 08:05 AM

I have used most of the methods mentioned to find the best one for me. I also tried applying the diluted glue with a paintbrush(light strokes with the end of the brush) used a yardstick to smooth it out and let it dry overnight, easier that heat setting with an iron. I found this worked quite well, it was a midsize quilt for a child. I use an old plastic tablecloth on whatever surface I am working on.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:51 AM

I've diluted the glue with even more water when I was in a pinch.
It still held. The problem when putting more water is that it gets
runny and messy but it will still hold. A little goes a long way.
I go by the thickness of the glue more that an actual formula.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:20 AM

I have tried this, but squeezing the bottle really hurts my hands. Its fine at first, but not too far in the process I have to stop. Does anyone else have this problem? If you do what do you do?
I have that problem too. I try to glue in sessions, taking breaks in between.

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
Using liquid glue seems to be a lot of work.....
Applying it is no harder than using safety pins (it's probably easier on my fingers) but one thing I LOVE is that there are no pins to remove while I'm quilting. I always tried to place pins where I wouldn't be quilting but I always ended up having to take out a bunch during the process. What a pain that is. Not having pins to remove is one of the best parts of glue basting!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Another method of applying the glue that I have seen on the QB is to use a mini paint roller and paint tray. Thought this was very clever at the time!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:39 AM

I did until I started microwaving the water to dilute it with, makes it real runny, barely have to squeeze!
Old 08-29-2015, 11:09 AM

I have an hardwood floor area in my living room that is big enough for a full-size quilt, so I use painter's tape to tape the backing to the floor. Then I spread my batting, fold back half and drizzle glue on the backing. Re-spread the backing and do the other half. Repeat with the quilt top. Dry overnight. No overspray. Never gums up my machine and never slips. No puckers, ever. Washes out completely. Best idea for basting that I have come upon. Certainly easier in my opinion than pinning, stitching or spraying.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:17 AM

I drizzle the glue also and smooth it with a ruler if I get a bit too much. I buy not only Elmer's but the white glue at the dollar store when I run short because it is only a couple of blocks from me. Never had issues with needle or gumming because I make sure it is dry.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:26 AM

Best thing since Chocolate Ice Cream.....I have been doing this for at least a year...I do water it down a little and then I iron it.....works for me.....and it all washes out....it has to be washable glue.....