Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the best muslin to use >

the best muslin to use

the best muslin to use

Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 AM

Default the best muslin to use

I there a "rule of thumb" when buying muslin? What is the best and where is a good place to purchase?

Thank you ladies, as always!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I've been using Legacy Studio Premium muslin for piecing. I recently bought a bolt of it from Amazon.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:21 AM

I fully don't understand the concept of what in muslin determines its a muslin. When I have looked at them, some are so thin, that it's no wonder that they are cheaper. So when I want a muslin look or am doing embroidery, I go for a premium solid. My favorite are Northcott solids. Extra thread count on one direction and wonderful feel.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:27 AM

I have the same problem with finding muslin that I like for piecing. Once washed most that I have bought are transparent. Actually yesterday I was at JoAnn's and was looking for a solid black. Left there with nothing. I don't like fabrics that when held up to the light seem like gauze (perhaps I'm exaggerating), but you know what I mean. I saw no quality Kona or Moda.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM

I have the same problem and that is why I have asked this question. I there a difference between bleached and unbleached muslin? What I need is a beige/natural color.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:18 PM

Lol.muslin in the UK is a fine gauzy fabric, what you gals call muslin, we term calico. Muslin used to be used as liners for baby nappies, when we used terry nappies. It's also used to strain preserved fruits, as a cloth for removing make up, wrapping cheese in when you make it. Amazing how the terminology is different in our two countries.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
Lol.muslin in the UK is a fine gauzy fabric, what you gals call muslin, we term calico. Muslin used to be used as liners for baby nappies, when we used terry nappies. It's also used to strain preserved fruits, as a cloth for removing make up, wrapping cheese in when you make it. Amazing how the terminology is different in our two countries.
sounds like what you have, we call cheesecloth.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Southern Belle is a very fine quality muslin brand. It comes in natural and bleached (white). Google it to find sellers. RocLon is another common brand, however, they manufacture many different versions with different thread counts, widths & finishes, so if you are not familiar with the specifics, it's best to buy in person so you can see what you are getting.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Southern Belle is a very fine quality muslin brand. It comes in natural and bleached (white). Google it to find sellers. RocLon is another common brand, however, they manufacture many different versions with different thread counts, widths & finishes, so if you are not familiar with the specifics, it's best to buy in person so you can see what you are getting.
I use the Southern Belle mostly also. It's a premium muslin, 200ct. I have bought it in quilt shops and also on ebay. Mostly I get it on ebay. There is a seller that sells it in various yardage cuts from 6-18 yds for about $3.50/yd.

I also like the Legacy and the Robert Kaufmann brands of premium muslin.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I have the same problem with finding muslin that I like for piecing. Once washed most that I have bought are transparent. Actually yesterday I was at JoAnn's and was looking for a solid black. Left there with nothing. I don't like fabrics that when held up to the light seem like gauze (perhaps I'm exaggerating), but you know what I mean. I saw no quality Kona or Moda.
Look for the premium Legacy muslin at joann's. It is the only one I buy and is good quality, washes up really nice. I use it for my embroidery. I buy the 108 inch one with coupons or when it goes on sale. There are different qualities of muslin at joanns but it is also usually reflected in the price. The cheaper they are the thinner they are