Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to hang quilts without sleeves? >

Best way to hang quilts without sleeves?

Best way to hang quilts without sleeves?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 AM

I agree with you, Ghostrider. I would be very cautious about hanging a finished quilt by clips. If you use a longer stitch when sewing on the sleeves, they can be taken off quite easily by Jack (the ripper :-) And the sleeves can be reused. My sister bought one of those new hanging systems with magnets (it wasn't cheap!) and the quilt kept ending up on the floor. I say "go old school!

QUOTE=ghostrider;5681460]If it were me, I'd add a sleeve and hang the quilt from a rod mounted above the design wall. But if you don't want a sleeve on the quilt, use a full bar clamp in order to evenly distribute the weight of the quilt so it doesn't stretch.

I have seen quilts totally ruined because they were hung from separate clamps, clips, rings, etc along the top edge. They can easily wind up with 'scalloped' tops from the stress of uneven pull from hanging...the larger the quilt, the faster it happens. Think about how fast clothes get stretched out on hangers and multiply that by the weight of a bed sized quilt. [/QUOTE]
Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 PM

Why not use a slwwve? If the quilt is going to hang in your sewing room, I would prefer the even weight distribution of a curtain rod supported by decorative holders rather than something that bites into the quilt. I rotate my quilts using a long curtain rod and have had no damage.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
One of my friends has a decorative rod hanging in her great room that she hangs her quilts on. Instead of a sleeve, she uses drapery rings with the clamp on the bottom.
This is what I have done as well. There are some beautiful curtain rods out there and they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
If it were me, I'd add a sleeve and hang the quilt from a rod mounted above the design wall. But if you don't want a sleeve on the quilt, use a full bar clamp in order to evenly distribute the weight of the quilt so it doesn't stretch.

I have seen quilts totally ruined because they were hung from separate clamps, clips, rings, etc along the top edge. They can easily wind up with 'scalloped' tops from the stress of uneven pull from hanging...the larger the quilt, the faster it happens. Think about how fast clothes get stretched out on hangers and multiply that by the weight of a bed sized quilt.
I agree. It's important to keep the weight evenly distributed to avoid those sags. Learned this one the hard way....
Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 AM

You could mount one metal strip to the wall (just be sure the strips attract magnets) Add as many rare earth magnets as needed. They are very strong magnets available online in different sizes and strengths (don't use if you have a pacemaker)! Wrap the top of the quilt over a second metal bar and put up over the magnets.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Neodymium magnets are another term to search for, should you decide to go this route. However, if you DO get magnets, I recommend you encase them in something before attaching them to your quilt. They have a tendency to corrode and rust. My husband has a lot of them, he uses them in the custom speakers he builds. They are VERY strong. Be careful handling them, it's easy to get pinched.