Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Betty Bands vs Quilting Gloves

I have machingers and love them. If your hands get a bit sticky try a bit of talcum

hi i don't post much but i use TAKE HOLD its what the bankers use to count money.
    can buy it at walmart or office supply store around $2.00 and it works great benn using it for years

I go to the gardening department and get spandex gloves that have a latex palm. I pay about three dollars and they fit very snugly. They are great for , keeping my hands warm, grabbing the fabric, adds a little massage to my poor arthritic fingers. I have machingers and I do not like them at all....too loose and floppy.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

I don't know what betty bands are, but have used Fons & Porter gloves and machingers. But what I really like because I have such small hands and the others didn't work very well for me, is just kid sized regular knit gloves with the dots on the palm. I get mine at Target. They are the BEST (for me)!!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

I use cotton garden gloves with the little bumps on them. They work great for me and I have arthritis in both my hands.

Blog Entries
    I got the cheapie mechanics gloves from Harbor Freight and they work great, but they're bulky. But if you have to take all the more expensive ones off to do things, might as well save money too! (I think I got 2 pair for less than $1). They look like knit gloves dipped in yellow rubber.

The Betty Bands look like they're made of packing materials. Anyone make their own out there?!

I used gloves (like Machingers) until I heard about glycerine. I tried it because I like to try ideas that seem "odd" but it works for me. You put 2-3 drops of glycerine on your fingertips and rub it in with your thumbs--your thumb and fingertips will feel a bit "tacky". This enables you to guide the quilt but you can still thread needles, pick things up etc.etc. I've never experienced a problem with it staining anything or leaving a residue on the quilt.

I do mostly smallish pieces and a LOT of raw edge applique and this works better for me than the gloves do because some of the work is pretty precise and you don't have the added bulk of the gloves. A small bottle of glycerine will last a long time and is readily available at your local chain pharmacy or Wally World. I'm unaware that there would be any adverse health effects from using it but I've never checked.

Blog Entries
    I bought a pair of gardening gloves, cut the index finger and thumb down so I can pick up pins and thread needle without taking off gloves. I think they cost less than $2.
    TwandasMom

I have never tried either, I use garden gloves. They work for me and when they wear out, they turn back in to garden gloves!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
    I go to the gardening department and get spandex gloves that have a latex palm. I pay about three dollars and they fit very snugly. They are great for , keeping my hands warm, grabbing the fabric, adds a little massage to my poor arthritic fingers. I have machingers and I do not like them at all....too loose and floppy.
    This is what I use -- the garden gloves are wonderful. I got mine in a bin at the flower show and paid $1.00. I tried Machingers, but they were either too big or too small -- the garden gloves are a good fit and I can still grab thread.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Machingers work just great. I just finished buying another pair. You can interchange them from right to left. I've used up both sides. Love them. I have tried other gloves but these are the best.

I use the rubber finger tips from any office store. There's about 12 in a box for less than $5. I think their real purpose is to turn pages. They're great. They grip and yet give your fingers/hands lots of air

Blog Entries
    Never tried either but have the Fons & Porters quilting gloves and they work great for me. They don't get hot, have a good grip and easy to slip on and off when needed.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I haven't tried Betty Bands. I use Machingers gloves and they work well. I will be interested to hear what the Betty Band users have to say.

Blog Entries
    I took a FMQ class where the teacher had us put a small amount of glycerine on our fingertips. It worked as well as any glove I have tried.

I've never heard of the Betty Bands. I use the Machinger gloves, they are a huge help to me.

I use cheap gardening gloves with the dots on them for quilting. They sort of breathe and my hands don't get so sweaty. I will watch this post about the Betty Bands.

I use machingers, but I also have a box of nitrile gloves and use them sometimes too. They have great grip and are thin enough to thread my machine, pick up threads, etc. I know that they may be a little hard to get used to - too hot, too tight, but I used to wear them all day at work so I was already used to them, and if my hands get hot I just rinse them off - with my hands in them of course - with cool water and dry and I am ready to go again. I haven't used Betty Bands, but they look interesting.
    Sherry

"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries
    I have the Machingers and won't FMQ without them . Not only do they give me a better grip, but since my hands get really dry in the winter, it protects me from the chemicals on the fabric (i don't prewash) that would dry my skin more. Recently I worked on a satin quilt - my fingers kept catching the fabric=the gloves were essential.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Blog Entries
    I haven't tried the bands but I have used gloves that I found at Lowe's a while back. They work really good except I have to take them off quite frequently for fine motor skills, picking up pins, etc. Keep us posted if you use the bands and let us know how you do with them. I have to have something because I have arthritis other wise it flares on me.
    Connie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2