Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Black fabric

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Our sales rep tells us that RJR is the black that Keepsake Quilting sells, so I guess they like it too!
    Well, technically, RJR may be A black that Keepsake Quilting sells, but the only black solid on the store shelf is Kona Cotton. They sell solids from the RJR, Kona Cotton and Moda Bella lines. I've used all three and they're all good.

Kona...I love KONA for any color.........

Try Fabric Depot, they sell Kona black in 6 yd or 10 yd cuts, the six yard is $24.00,the 10 yard is $36.00, they carry 5 colors in the six yard piece or carry lots more by the yard!
    http://www.fabricdepot.com/index.php...&pageid=116752

Blog Entries
    Michael Miller also makes a wonderful black. My LQS has both Kona and Michael Miller.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Our sales rep tells us that RJR is the black that Keepsake Quilting sells, so I guess they like it too!
    Well, technically, RJR may be A black that Keepsake Quilting sells, but the only black solid on the store shelf is Kona Cotton. They sell solids from the RJR, Kona Cotton and Moda Bella lines. I've used all three and they're all good.
    I've never been to their store, only their website, and I have seen their catalog.

I think that the sales reps give out just enough info to "talk up" the lines that they themselves are selling. Personally I don't appreciate it when they disparage their competition's products. !!

I talked with a fabric salesman several years ago, he said that at the end of the day, they dump all the dies into one vat to make up black. That is why some blacks have a blue , red, or what ever hue to them. But Kona black is made from a true black dye.

That is my suggestion

I love the Kona True Black. It is the truest black I have found & does not bleed, fade, or disintegrate. Good luck.

I use Super Black from Timeless Treasures.

I've tried several... depends on the other fabrics. the Kona is good and has a weight to the fabric. the Moda Bella is also good and has a lovely hand and drape. Have not had any problem with the dyes running for either. And you can find either/both on sale online if you look awhile.

Keepsake Quilter has an "Amish Black Fabric" that has a rich black color. They also have a Jet Black Bali Fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Kona, but the Kaufman Kona. Not the one from Joann's.
    Yes, and Kona makes two blacks - one is darker and called 'Jet Black" and is more expensive than the regular black. But when you see them together, it a much more pure, rich black.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    You are so right about the colors of black. Kona makes a True Black that I like.

Blog Entries
    I would strongly recommend the black batik that Web Fabrics carries. It is called either Raven or Amish Black. It is the blackest black I have ever seen, and it does not bleed.

I agree too!

The absolute darkest truest black is made by Michael Miller. Once
    you use that, nothing else will do. Before I found that, I used to use the Kona. Also, Keepsake quilting sells an Amish Black that is
    $6.00 a yard, I think. But neither the Kona, nor the Amish black is anywhere near as dark as the Michael Miller true black. Check it out.

You can get Kona Black on line from Hancock's

Blog Entries
    Where would you recommend I get black flannel? I want to make a quilt for DD who lives in CO. I live in FL so my choices locally are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by emmy
    Where would you recommend I get black flannel? I want to make a quilt for DD who lives in CO. I live in FL so my choices locally are slim.
    http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashio...el-fabric.aspx

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinNsmilin
    The absolute darkest truest black is made by Michael Miller. Once
    you use that, nothing else will do. Before I found that, I used to use the Kona. Also, Keepsake quilting sells an Amish Black that is
    $6.00 a yard, I think. But neither the Kona, nor the Amish black is anywhere near as dark as the Michael Miller true black. Check it out.
    We carried the "Michael Miller Jet Brown" a couple of years back. While it was a great fabric, and the darkest brown we'd ever seen (and I imagine their black is like it)... we found that it did not sell well for us, as it cost about $2 more per yard than regular blacks (Kona and the like).

So... I'm wondering... those of you who are connoisseurs of black fabrics, do you think it is worth the extra $ to get the double-dyed darks? Or does it depend on the project?

I think it would be worth the extra $2 if the quilt you are making depends on the black for a sharp contrast. I would also pay for it if I was using it as a small border to set the blocks off a bit.

i agree with the kona ,i love to use it

wash with salt before sewing....keeps the colors lasting longer.

Blog Entries
    Kona Black .

So... I'm wondering... those of you who are connoisseurs of black fabrics, do you think it is worth the extra $ to get the double-dyed darks? Or does it depend on the project?
    For me it would depend on the other fabrics used in the piece.

I use Kona black by the bolt, but it is almost always used with other 60 square broadcloths, either other Kona solids or Moda Bella solids.

If I were making a piece with lighter weight cottons or batiks, I would eagerly pay extra for Michael Miller darks. I may just have to go find some to try out with some batiks. ;) Thanks for the info. The dark chocolate sounds just perfect with some awesome deep yellow-gold batiks I've been saving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast