Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Book recommendation for FMQ

Blog Entries

Book recommendation for FMQ

My family want to know what to get me for Christmas, and I thought a book to improve my FMQ would come in handy. I have had a bit of a look online at Hooked on Feathers, by Sally Terry and liked that and also Pathways from Quilt Top to Quilted, also by Sally Terry. My LQS doesn't have either of these books so I would be buying them sight unseen.
    I was hoping someone might give me their thoughts as to which of these or if you have any other books to suggest that might help me.
    I have done some FMQ and a beginner's course but I still get stuck looking at a quilt, how I should quilt it.
    Thanks for your help
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Power Poster
    I really liked a book titled Feathers That Fly? I don't remember the author but if the title is correct you could look on amazon.

Blog Entries
    Take a look at www.craftsy.com. they have an online course (regularly $59, on sale until Dec 4 for $19.99). I have purchased it but haven't had time to really look at it. It is good forever and has 10 lessons-each lesson has 5-6 parts and covers everything. I am giving it as a gift for several quilting friends.

I have been on this site but do not see this course for the $19.99 just the $59.00. Is anyone else not finding the sale price?
    Quote Originally Posted by countrydancermom View Post
    Take a look at www.craftsy.com. they have an online course (regularly $59, on sale until Dec 4 for $19.99). I have purchased it but haven't had time to really look at it. It is good forever and has 10 lessons-each lesson has 5-6 parts and covers everything. I am giving it as a gift for several quilting friends.

Blog Entries
    Harriet Hargraves book is all you will ever need. She specializes in teaching beginners. Harriethargrave.com. Im sure you can get her book through Amazon. Heirloom Quilting

I signed up for the course when it came out. I paid about $29 I think. It was well worth whatever I paid.

I see it at $29.99. But not for $19.99. Are you getting a special deal??? I want one too!!
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Here's another suggestion ... instead of (or in addition to if your family really likes you! ) is a 'cheater' whole cloth. There are some with a whole cloth print on it, and others that have blocks printed so you get to practice a lot of different stitches. The print washes out so you can even display it when your done. It's called a "machine quilting skillbuilder" by RGA design (rgadesignquilts.com) - there are probably more, this is the one I found.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I would recomend a DVD from Patsy Thompson. Seeing her do feathers did the trick for me. AND I found the DVD at Joann's and I was able to use a coupon!

How about another DVD suggestion?

http://www.pajamaquilter.com/

Reloaded is her 1st DVD, and Rethreaded is her 2nd. Great for beginner FMQ. Very patient. I still go back to get ideas and practice.

I would recommend either the book Guide To Machine Quilting by Diane Gaudynski or Heirloom Machine Quilting by Harriet Hargrave...both are exellent books about FMQ.

I have the books by Sally Terry, Diane Gaudynski and Harriet Hargrave and they're all really wonderful! You really can't go wrong with them.

I also have a couple of books and a workbook by Irena Bluhm that I love, too. She's just magic to watch and to listen to and charming in person.

But my favorite book - the one that helped me make the biggest jump in FMQ skills - is Machine Quilting Solutions by Christine Maraccini. It's like a bridge between first steps and intermediate FMQ.

I really like the books by Karen Mc Tavish found them quite easy to follow

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I will see if I can have a look at your suggestions on Amazon and make a decision from there

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
    I have the books by Sally Terry, Diane Gaudynski and Harriet Hargrave and they're all really wonderful! You really can't go wrong with them.

I also have a couple of books and a workbook by Irena Bluhm that I love, too. She's just magic to watch and to listen to and charming in person.

But my favorite book - the one that helped me make the biggest jump in FMQ skills - is Machine Quilting Solutions by Christine Maraccini. It's like a bridge between first steps and intermediate FMQ.
    Thank you - your review just convinced me to order the book by Christine Maraccini. I've had it in my "later" shopping list on Amazon for a while. I bought it used, so the book with shipping only came to $8.42.

Blog Entries
    I'm in Australia so shipping is always a killer, I can get it for $28.33 with free shipping from the book depository or $25.30 from the fishpond books. Sounds like a good book.

Blog Entries
    this site has alot of great stuff including cd's to help plus she does videos to help
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/quiltshop.htm
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow View Post
    Harriet Hargraves book is all you will ever need. She specializes in teaching beginners. Harriethargrave.com. Im sure you can get her book through Amazon. Heirloom Quilting
    Amen! That's my FMQ bible.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I bot the course online for $29.99. I don't know if it is still on sale.
    I haven't had a chance to look at it yet either.

Blog Entries
    for me the go-to book i reach for regularly-and is a staple on my shelves is:
    Long-Arm Machine Quilting the complete guide to choosing, using, and maintaining a long-arm machine By Carol A. Thelen
    this book has proved to be invaluable-i'd be lost without it- and think all long-arm quilters should have it
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by countrydancermom View Post
    I'm on the craftsy mailing list and get notices for this course. I finally signed up and took it the other day. I had never done any FMQ so it was a good introduction and I learned a lot. The one advantage to this is that you can revisit any lesson whenever you wish. There is no time limit. For me watching the steps and hearing the description was helpful since I'm a visual learning type person. Part of whether you like a book or a video depends on your learning style.