Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Brand New Brother Lock 1034D NOISE!!!

Blog Entries

Brand New Brother Lock 1034D NOISE!!!

Holy mackerel! I just got my new Brother Serger, the Lock 1034D threaded and ready to roll but what a horrible noise it makes! Living in an apartment, I guess I can say goodbye to using it at night. YIKES! It does stitch beautifully and the price was right ... but the noise! Does anyone else have this machine? Is it just mine?
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I have Babylocks, no noise. There might be something wrong with it, take it to the dealer and have it checked out.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Blog Entries
    Have you oiled it and cleaned it? I have an Elna and I must confess I haven't oiled mine in several years. I was just reading the manual and I have got to do this. It is quiet, but I don't want it to go bad on me.

Blog Entries
    I bought a Juki serger a few months back and it is pretty noisy when I use it, but I live in a house and alone (except for pets) so no one cares.

I have a Janome serger and it is louder than my sewing machines. There's a rule in our subdivision that your house has to be at least 100 feet from your landline in all directions, so no one can hear it except us and the dogs. DH ignores it and the dogs apparently don't care. If it's making that much noise now, I would definitely return it.

I have that serger and it works great but to me is noisier than my sewing machines. I guess I don't know if it is "too noisy". If you figure out there is something wrong, please share.

It is a loud machine. In the carpet department of Walmart or Kmart or where ever you shop, pick up an area rug made of closed cell foam. They are about 1/4 inch thick and have a printed picture on them. Put it under your serger when you are using it, it will cut the noise by half.

I was given one of the Brother serger's that needed a repair. I figured I had nothing to lose so I took all the covers off of it down to the skeleton. It is actually pretty well made. It has all metal innards, there are no plastic rods or gears to break. The only real weakness is the knob used to set the differential feed, it is plastic with a plastic toothed cog. I can see it breaking down the road - a long way down the road - unless it is misused and abused.

ETA The repair consisted of adjusting the upper looper. It was set in crooked. Once I straightened it out the machine sewed perfectly. I passed it on (free) to a young mom who loves to sew for her 4 little ones and make home dec. projects.
    Last edited by Mitch's mom; 01-11-2013 at 08:30 PM.

I have the same machine and it is fairly noisy. It needs oiling on a regular basis.
    Yours might need a bit of oil. I also use a shelf liner underneath as it tends to
    slide on the table. This helps with the noise too.

I have a new Janome serger that is noisier than my very old White serger. But I love the stitch and the ease of threading. I was hoping that with use the noise would get better. It has a "dry" sound (if that makes any kind of sense!) so perhaps more oil is what is needed.

I have used my serger to make the Kaye Woods six-hour quilts.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    This is a brand new machine - right out of the box! I got it from Walmart and I see that since it was delivered (for free!) the price has gone up. Take a look. The "dry sound" might apply. It's kind of a a weird grindy noise. My old serger was acquired at an estate sale and while it was missing a foot, it didn't make half as much noise. Sad to say I lost it in the flood during Hurricane Sandy -- so I was excited to get one that did more than the old one. Oh well, I'll have too see if I can figure out how to oil it. Not to mention, try to find out where my machine oil is if I still have it.
    Krystyna

Read in the manual and it will show where to oil it. It is possible someone at the factory for got to oil it before it left. Sounds like that might be the problem.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    It is a loud machine. In the carpet department of Walmart or Kmart or where ever you shop, pick up an area rug made of closed cell foam. They are about 1/4 inch thick and have a printed picture on them. Put it under your serger when you are using it, it will cut the noise by half.

I was given one of the Brother serger's that needed a repair. I figured I had nothing to lose so I took all the covers off of it down to the skeleton. It is actually pretty well made. It has all metal innards, there are no plastic rods or gears to break. The only real weakness is the knob used to set the differential feed, it is plastic with a plastic toothed cog. I can see it breaking down the road - a long way down the road - unless it is misused and abused.

ETA The repair consisted of adjusting the upper looper. It was set in crooked. Once I straightened it out the machine sewed perfectly. I passed it on (free) to a young mom who loves to sew for her 4 little ones and make home dec. projects.
    What a nice thing to do.

Blog Entries
    I read the manual and noticed it said to oil before use!!! YIKES! So I did. Still noisy, so I think I'll keep oiling it for a while and see if that makes a difference.
    Krystyna

I have that same serger, yes it is louder than my other machines. I think you will like it, just use away from adjoining apartments.

Blog Entries
    I am enjoying it enormously! It seems to have gotten a little more quiet but it's still noisy. Sews like a dream, so I'll learn to live with it.
    Krystyna