Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Broadcloth Fabric? >

Broadcloth Fabric?

Broadcloth Fabric?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 PM

I know I need some basic fabric to have on hand. Atleast white. I found some Kona cotton white for 5 a yd. But then I found another kind for 2.98 on sale and I thought, ohhhh, that is cheap and was going to jump on it when I noticed right under the image it said light weight? Does that matter? Is there that much of a difference? Is the boardcloth fabric what I even want? And what others basic colors do you guys consider a staple that must stay in your supplies no matter what? Here are the White fabrics I was looking at.
Kona
http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashio...d-29889bf8fb7b

http://www.fabric.com/halloween-deco...d-29889bf8fb7b
Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 PM

I much prefer the Kona. Broad cloth is thin and often the cheaper it is, the thinner it is. Almost to the point of being sheer. I don't care for it because usually the batting will show through it if it is a light color. For quality and overall satisfaction with your finished product, I would choose the Kona. IMHO
Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 PM

I would not purchase a fabric listed as lightweight without being able to feel it first. You know the quality of the Kona white and that's a very good price, so I'd go with the Kona if these are your choices. Fabric sold for Halloween decorating is usually lesser quality.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Power Poster

Don't take the light weight or broadcloth. I saw that some is not 100% cotton either. It is not just light weight (thin) but feels like it is scratchy too.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I much prefer the Kona. Broad cloth is thin and often the cheaper it is, the thinner it is. Almost to the point of being sheer. I don't care for it because usually the batting will show through it if it is a light color. For quality and overall satisfaction with your finished product, I would choose the Kona. IMHO
Aunt, if you don't like the broad cloth, what kind of fabric would you suggest for my basic colors like white? I don't want my quilts to look shabby because I didn't buy the right kind to begin with and in the end it would be a waste of money and while I love a deal like anyone else I hate wasting money even more. :)

Thank you ladies. I appreciate all the feedback!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by mitzs
Aunt, if you don't like the broad cloth, what kind of fabric would you suggest for my basic colors like white? I don't want my quilts to look shabby because I didn't buy the right kind to begin with and in the end it would be a waste of money and while I love a deal like anyone else I hate wasting money even more. :)

I use a lot of Kona for my solids. Also, I will use a white on white fabric if I don't want just a plain solid in my project. Kona has a nice hand to it and it just looks more polished IMHO
Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Don't take the light weight or broadcloth. I saw that some is not 100% cotton either. It is not just light weight (thin) but feels like it is scratchy too.
What would you recommend hun? If you have a link to your favorite white fabric handy I would really appreciate that.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 PM

I use a lot of Kona for my solids. Also, I will use a white on white fabric if I don't want just a plain solid in my project. Kona has a nice hand to it and it just looks more polished IMHO
Thank you, I am already falling in love with this board. Everyone is so nice and helpful. You guys are really taking a lot of the nervousness out of this for me. Quilters ROCKS!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 PM

Thank you, I am already falling in love with this board. Everyone is so nice and helpful. You guys are really taking a lot of the nervousness out of this for me. Quilters ROCKS!!!
Your welcome! And the Kona @ $5/yard is a good deal. My LQS sells it for $6-7 yard. Fabric.com has tons of colors to choose from. I order alot from them, great customer service and quick shipping. Free shipping on orders over $35!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:00 PM

Check out fabric.com You will be hooked. They have some great fabrics and free shipping on $35.00 purchases. They are also very generous with their cuts.