Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
brother pc 8500 >

brother pc 8500

brother pc 8500

Old 11-18-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks, at least I won't keep trying............ and I know it's not the machine because it is wonderful. I just use my other one for free motion quilting. I am soooooooooooooo glad I didn't sell it!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Angie
I have done all of the above and am using the embroidery foot. Any other ideas?
I think your problem is probably the foot you are using. You need to use a darning foot or FMQ foot. I know the sell them separate and Bablylock and Brother are interchangable. I have owned both. I now own a Babylock. As a matter of fact PM me your address. I have an extra Darning Foot I will give you.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 PM

I have a Brother PC 8500 that I can not get to FMQ. It is a wonderful machine and I bought it used for a great price. Everthing else works like a dream, even the embroidery, but everytime I try FM it breaks a needle. I have done FMQ with other machines, I have changed the needle, lowered the feed dogs, tried different threads and bobbins, cleaned it and even manually moved the needle and it looks like it is fine. BUT when I start sewing within two or three stitches the needle breaks EVERY time. Is there anything else I could try or just take it to a repair shop?
i have the sister machine to the 8500. i have a babylock esante. i use the decorative stitch that resembles hand stitching. my length is 4.0 and width is 3.5. it usually does the trick. there are times i use the center stitch and 4.0 as stitch length. hope this will help.

tea
Old 11-20-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbible
I have a Brother PC 8500 that I can not get to FMQ. It is a wonderful machine and I bought it used for a great price. Everthing else works like a dream, even the embroidery, but everytime I try FM it breaks a needle. I have done FMQ with other machines, I have changed the needle, lowered the feed dogs, tried different threads and bobbins, cleaned it and even manually moved the needle and it looks like it is fine. BUT when I start sewing within two or three stitches the needle breaks EVERY time. Is there anything else I could try or just take it to a repair shop?
i have the sister machine to the 8500. i have a babylock esante. i use the decorative stitch that resembles hand stitching. my length is 4.0 and width is 3.5. it usually does the trick. there are times i use the center stitch and 4.0 as stitch length. hope this will help.

Thank you and it does help.
tea
Old 11-21-2009, 12:37 PM

no problem. glad i was able to help as others here have help me.

tea :D
Old 11-29-2009, 03:45 PM

angie, forgot to mention you will need to purchase a fm foot. the embroidery foot that comes with machine will cause skipped stitches and thread breakages. i purchased mines online under $20.00 usd. hope this will help you.

tea
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM

almost all machine companies have their own blogsites. have you checked to see if brother has one? if they do, log in and ask. you'll get more information than you know what to do with. in fact, everyone should join a forum for each machine they own. you never know when you'll need help in the middle of the night.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:01 PM

Did you resolve this problem? I took my machine in for cleaning and adjustment thinking it was broken and was told that I cannot use the embroidery foot for free motion. there is a quilting foot with spring on it for free motion. I have not found it yet so just wondering if you were able to do free motion with your 8500 yet? ps I love the machine for embroidery and there is nothing wrong with it so I can't see any reason to upgrade.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 PM

I have the Brother PC 6500. It won't free motion for the same reason as the 8500 - thread delivery. Not a big deal to me as I use it mainly for embroidery and never intended to use it for FMQ.