Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Brother Sewing machines?? How do you like them?

Brother Sewing machines?? How do you like them?

Hi Everyone-

I am in the market for a new machine, and would like to check out all the local dealers. I have a Bernina Virtuosa for piecing and it does a great job, but to be honest, I am looking for more bells and whistles. Like a thread cutter might be nice! HA! This is really the only machine I have, in addition to my long arm and Babylock quilters pro choice which I got for FMQ and then moved on to the longarm.

I don't like the Bernina dealers..they are very different breed. There is a local dealer who is about 20 minutes from my house that sells Brother machines..what do you think of them?? I could afford $2-3k if they had a payment plan, which she often does.

I am looking for a machine that is versatile..I can embroider and sew on it, plus comes with a lot of advanced features. When comparing Brothers to Bernina, it seems that Brothers have more "bang for the buck" but I don't want to sacrifice quality.

Anyways, do you think I should go and test some out? I have break next week and really want to do some research before ramming around. I could also look at Janomes.

Thanks, JC

I have 2 Brothers that I love, the Innovis 1500D and the Innovis 2500D.They both embroider and sew.

I don't have a Brother, but have heard many great things about them. In your price range you should be able to get some good bells and whistles.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I am a big fan of Brother. My newest is the NX 2000. It has all kinds of great features for the price. They also have more recents models out since then too. it is definitely worth checking out. Check them out at the Brothers website; then go for a test drive! See if it has enough bells and whistles for you! Good luck and have fun!

Blog Entries
    Go test drive several different ones. Make a list of all the different features you want before you go then chart what each machine has. I felt the same thing that Brothers offer a lot for your money. A few years ago I purchased the Brother Innovis 2000 which I love. Also purchased a smaller Brother to carry to retreats and I love it.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Banned
    I love my new Brother Dreamweaver machine.

I own 4 Brothers now. I love them all. My friend has three and loves them all.

Blog Entries
    I have a Baby Lock Ellageo Plus. Its a dream. I prefer the Nancy Zieman designs over the Disney designs on the Brothers

Hi JC,

I have the Brother 4000D and I love it. I also have a Bernina (Artista 630) and I love that too. You are very right though.... You will get many more bells, whistles and goodies for your money from Brother. Happy hunting and let us know when your new sweetie arrives!

hugs

caroline
    Caroline

I love my brother! I'm hoping to add a innovis 1250d to my machines soon!
    Brother SQ9000, Baby Lock Crescendo

Slowly but surely restoring these lovely machines...
    Singer 66 (1929) Singer 27 treadle (1909) Singer 99 (1925)

Jim
    I LOVE BROTHERS. My wife and I own 3 brothers that I use all the time. We also have 5 singers, a kenmore, a Bernina and a Toyota serger. I prefer my brothers over every machine we have.

I just got my 2nd Brother. I had the NX400 for about 8 years then upgraded to Innovis4000D. I love that I can switch from sewing to embroidery and back again without taking off the emb. Unit. I've only had this one for 2 weeks but love it so far. It is so much smarter than I am. I would go wherever you can get free lessons and have good support. That is one of the best ways to learn a new machine.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Blog Entries
    I'd go for a Baby Lock. Brother is more the poor country cousin to the Baby Lock. I have the Symphonie and wouldn't trade it.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Love mine you can get the laura ashley for 2k, very nice machine, if you can find a dreamweaver for 3k thats even better. The high end brothers are built great. I have had 4 brothers since 1994 and all still run, none have ever needed repair, even my cheapo one that i bought 8 years ago just ran it friday perfect stitching. You dont sacrifice quality, i just sewed on a bernina 550qe and it cost 5k it has less features than my babylock espire, now the laura ashley or symphony by babylock name. It cost twice as much, has less features, and my babylock sewed nicer. I was not impressed. My babylock espire was a workhorse before i traded her in, excellent stitching, tension. I never hesitate to recommend brothers or babylocks made by brother. If someone tells you they are plastic go lift one of their high ends my dreamweaver is like 40lbs not easy to tote but is by name a dream
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I'd go for a Baby Lock. Brother is more the poor country cousin to the Baby Lock. I have the Symphonie and wouldn't trade it.
    Actually babylock buys their machines, they are identical. Brother is the company that comes up with the technology they are definitely not their poor cousin. Babylock just has a different low end line than brother
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I am also a Brother machine lover. I just had mine in for service after 6 years of hard work. The store didn't try to up sell me, they said my machine was a good machine and to hold onto it. I appreciated the honesty. I have had a low end mechanical from walmart up to my PC-6500 which is an older TOL machine. I would by another Brother in a heartbeat. Dolphyngyrl is correct - Brother builds Babylock machines. Babylock offers a great warranty ( for a price ) but the machines are identical across the price ranges. Sergers are a diifferent thing. Brother does not build Babylock Sergers - I believe they are built by Tacony.

Blog Entries
    i have a brother dsm and a brother embroidery machine. i like them both.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I love my Brother sewing machine.

I love my Brother XR9500 I haven't had it for very long so it doesn't have that many hours on it but it comes with so many features that it makes piecing fun! I bought mine online for less than $200 with free shipping.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

-Oscar Wilde

My sister has a Brother machine she bought at Costco many years ago and it is still going strong. She loved it. I was going to buy a Brother but wasn't carried by the LQS, they carry and services Janomes. When I looked at embroidery machines, my local repair shop carried Viking/Husqvarna, so ended up with the Topaz 20. If you have a local dealer - go for it.

I have two lower end Brother machines and I oove them. Very simple to use.

I have the original Duetta 4500D and I love this machine...
    I also have the Pfaff Creative Vision 5.5....
    I'd trade that in a heartbeat for a Quattro...or a newest Quattro....
    I've had Vikings, Bernina, Singer and I just love the Brother machines....
    k
    "You have nothing to lose but wrinkles!"

http://www.nerium.com/join/mrskirsten

I love my Brothers. No problems with them. Not fussy with type of thread, dull needles or lint in bobbin case.

I have just a basic intro brother, the prw2900. I think it is a project runway model. Any way, it is very BASIC and I have horribly abused it. So far though, it has been one of the best gifts I ever received. I guess I can't help with a higher end suggestion, but as far as the brand Brother works for me!

I have 3 Brother machines that I have sewn with for years...Last year I bought 4 more Brother machines for teaching sewing....Love them all.....also have Babylocke and 2 Singer machines.....I recommend Brother to everyone especially those new to sewing .....and also as well to anyone in the market for a new machine.
    Buzzy Bee

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast