Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Business Idea >

Business Idea

Business Idea

Old 03-13-2012, 04:36 AM

If you go to Quiltbug.com they are a store that traveled in a bus and sold fabric. They are located in Esperance, NY. I don't know if they still do it. But maybe they could be of help in securing information to do this.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 AM

Internet.......................................... ..........................
Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Sounds like the old time peddlers. They did have a little of everything. .. It might be a viable option but much more research would have to go into it because of the internet.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Having been a seller at craft shows for 15+ yrs. I will share my experiences.Most locations will require you to have a vendors license that you will have to pay for and sometimes they are good only for that day. Insurance is a must -both for inventory and customers. Remember to register you biz name with the Sec. of State. Our local Farmers Markets will allow produce only - NO crafts. Many shows require insurance and if you don't have it , they will sell it to you. The RV is a better idea than a truck -more space. There are many costs - but if you really want to do, I encourage you. Remember to have someone else along with you who is knowalgeble about product. Will you have bolts,yardage,pre cuts,sewing supplies ,etc.Will you take CCs , checks or cash only.? Consider your age and health....this stuff gets heavy to move around. We stopped because we found customers discretionary income was vanishing and our age. We have many , many tubs with inventory in them and will probably have to donate to charity. We did custom embroidery primarily on garments..but sewn items for the home. Excuse the misspelling. Best wishes.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot the issue of taxes. You must collect them, file and pay them. Sometimes the "tax people" roam shows and ask to see you license. If you don't have one, the nice guys will create one for you right there. One of our NE states
will automatically fine you every year for NOT filing , even if your sales are zero. ...this happened to us after doing shows in that state for 2-3 yrs. We stopped and because we forgot to notify them , they fined us. Explained it and they forgave it. Lots to consider but if you do the research and dot the i's and cross the t's, it could work for you. You will never know if you don't "put your feet in the water"...but I would really keep expenses under control. Be realsitic about your expectations.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM

Sounds like a good idea for those areas that you mentioned. Don't forget to check in licensing, etc for the areas you would be servicing. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:06 PM

Would that be a trunk show? Sounds like the quilt bus or whatever it's called. I think it's a valid idea.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 PM

You have received all the basic information needed to start up a business. It really sounds like a lot of fun to travel around and sell people fabric. Boy, would you learn a lot of history. A lady where I live bought a semi truck and did this. She had inherited money to set this up but after a year she is finding the gas is very expensive. She doesn't come into our city (just 15 miles from her because she has to pay a license to sell). She goes to small towns from spring to fall and I think does quite well. This is her second year and she says she learned a lot. I am sure she has her selected towns to visit and tries to tie into fairs, etc . You would need enough finances to carry you for 2 years until you got yourself established. The very best of luck if you give this a go.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Fabriclovr

Not to burst your bubble, but.. I sold on the internet for a while, stopped because the profit margin stunk. The cost of the fabric and shipping made the profit margin really slim. Your initial start up costs could cost you upwards to 30,000+. If you convert an old school bus, you have the cost of the bus, the interior to refit.. and possibly a CDL (commercial drivers license) to operate that size vehicle... more money. Business license and permits for where ever you set up shop, gas, lodging and food... nope, not gonna be covered and with the price of fabric on the rise making the profit margin reeallll slim.. Sorry to hit the pocket book like that, but I had no over head other than my lights in my house.. still way to slim of a profit margin for me to even pay myself!

Also the fabric wholesalers want you to purchase a min of 100 bolts fabric to start and that's not very many bolts... getting a wholesale account takes lots of credit references that are in the fabric business... its not as easy as getting fabric, putting it into a truck and selling it at a flea market. If it was, everyone would be doing it!

Last edited by Fabriclovr; 03-17-2012 at 12:16 AM.