Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Busy Week

Busy Week

Usually I babysit my grandsons when they are not in school but this week my DIL is on vacation so I have had lots of time for sewing. Finished quilting and binding Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt, En Provence. It will be gifted today to the daughter of my youngest grandson's class teacher's aide. She is disabled and purple is her favorite color. I backed the quilt in muslin and did an overall meandering.
    Name:  En Provience.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  79.6 KBName:  En Provence back.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  86.2 KB
    In addition to getting this quilt done, I added the last 5 rows to Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt. The blocks were made about 9 years ago, the top was partially sewn together a couple years ago. Now I just have to add the borders and this will be ready to go to long arm quilter. I don't want to attempt this one myself! LOL Lots of cut off points but I decided to leave them as is so I can see my progress in the quilting arena. There was a lot to learn about piecing in this one. Too many blocks to get in one picture even standing atop a bar stool I guess this is my first scrappy quilt!

Name:  Sylvia's Bridal Sampler.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  105.3 KB

I also made up 8 blocks of the String Boxes to see how it was put together and see if possible lesson for small guild class.

I put the inner border on the Allietare quilt of Bonnie Hunter's design and the outer border is cut out ready to attach today.

Busy week in Lala Land but I am loving it! How about you? What are you working on?

Blog Entries
    Wow!!!! You sure did a lot and I'm sure you are feeling so good. Your quilts are beautiful!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-22-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Wow! If I could be half as productive as you I might actually finish what I start! Congratulations!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

My goodness! That is a lot of work. My sister loves purple too. Great job.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

WOW is right! Both are just beautiful! And I'm sure it feels great to have them both finished - especially, considering the amount of time and work these two quilts require. Congratulations!

Christine
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

AlvaStitcher, congratulations on getting so much done! Your En Provence is beautiful, and what an achievement that bridal sampler is!

I've been working on this little quilt from Harriet Hargrave's 'Quilter's Academy Vol. 1.' I've run out of the tan, which is rather distinctive, so I have to decide if I want to bring in another tan that will obviously not match in order to make the quilt a more useful size.

I've also been looking on line for an interesting cheddar fabric to use in Bonnie Hunter's 'Double Delight' pattern. That is one of the past mysteries, but is available for free on her blog. It will be the first time I've worked with cheddar!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lisa

Power Poster
    Wow, you have been busy!

Jaw dropping beautiful! Wow..
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Power Poster
    Lovely quilt and gift! Your on going blocks are super.

Both tops are beautiful.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

You really HAVE been busy!! Both are fantastic! They will be treasured.

Absolutely stunning work on both quilt tops. You turned it on this week. Your sampler is gorgeous...I am working on SBS now and only have 34 blocks to go. Big projects....both of them...must feel wonderful to get these done..
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Your En Provence finished up beautifully. I bet it feels great to have a couple of UFO’s done. You certainly made good use of your grandma “free” time...good for you!
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Both quilts are lovely. I am glad you rescued the Sylvia's Sampler blocks from 9 yrs ago. Congrats on getting so much quilting done in your La la land.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilts, both of them are great. But when did you eat or sleep?

I usually babysit two lively granddaughters, ages 2 and 4. The youngest is fearless and the daily watchword is "Constant Vigilance!" Anyway, snow day on Wednesday and we didn't lose power so I domestic machine quilted a crib quilt, binding is attached to that one. Loaded another baby quilt onto longarm, domestic machine quilted a problematic cheater quilt and in spite of every precaution got a major pucker on the back side. Attached binding to a large UFO that's been sitting for months. Son-in-law off yesterday and today. Yesterday, I longarmed the baby quilt/ attached binding (which did not behave as it should!) loaded longarm with large (74" x 86") string scrappy and managed to get 80% through quilting it. Plan for the day: finish scrappy, try to fix pucker problem. Throughout, I keep an embroidery machine running do free-standing lace angels for church bazaar and I'm 12 angels to the good, although I think I'll switch to quilt blocks at some point today. AlvaStitcher, you asked what I was doing but I really just wanted to tell you what beautiful quilts!!

Blog Entries
    WOW! You really have been busy...the quilts are wonderfully made, and any cut off points aren't noticeable. The good thing is how much progress you made during the week. Just WOW!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Your En Provence is beautiful! Sweet of you to give it to a special someone. Your SBS is quite the achievement too!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Beautiful finishes!!!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

That is so nice of you to gift that to the teacher's aide. And it is beautiful, so is the other one. Great job!!!

Thank you all for the kind comments on the quilt/quilt topper. I love the piecing part of the quilt process more than the finishing. LOL But I am determined to get the UFO's done and out of here, at least the ones I choose not to keep. I have several vintage quilts (not my own making, haha) that either need layering and/or binding. Several are hand quilted but the binding never attached. Others need much more work. I also have a number of my own to finish up. I put the out border on the Allietare quilt this morning so another one waiting to be quilted.

Joe's Mom: That will be a beautiful quilt when done. I love the fabric and colors. Hope you can find a fabric to compliment the rest. I found a fabric I needed for a baby quilt on Esty. The fabric was from 2012 I believe. So glad I was able to locate it. Came in mail yesterday so eager to get the baby quilt done. Don't need it until sometime in late April or May though

QuiltMom2: Wow, sounds as if you are busier or just as busy as I have been! Great work. Sorry about the pucker. I had to remove some quilting recently on a charity quilt to get a big puckered area out. Not fun but it looks so much better now.

Congrats on your finishes, your quilts are beautiful!
    Some people know how to put a blessing into any situation!

Beautiful projects you have finished. I just have a mess trying to organize patterns, books, magazines. Not a pretty picture right now.
    Carol

All of your quilts are beautiful! It sure feels good to get all that done, I'm sure!