Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: BUYER BE WARE! rotary blades stolen out of packages.

I know a solution to stolen lunches... My girlfriend always made nice sandwiches for work lunch. Guess someone else thought so too cause they would steal them. So she got a can of cat tuna and made a pretty sandwich as usual and you know what they stopped stealing her sandwiches after just one time, HAHAHA. I would of liked to of been a fly on the wall when they bit into that one.

Quote Originally Posted by quilting Carol
    Good to know I worked retail for 34.5 years and I could tell you many stories....
    Me too...15 years. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I saw .

Well, I went to HF today and found two packs of blades (the last two). Took them to the checkout and noticed one had been stapled back together. I told the girl I didn't want that pack as I had read about people buying new and returning used items. The quiltingboard is the best. Thanks every body. Kathy

When my daughter was about 6 I'd returned a pair of jeans to Wal-mart because the elastic came out after 1 washing. It was put out on the sale floor again the next day. I was just amazed. Same with the broken iron that wouldn't steam.
    I put my initals inside the box flap just because I wanted to check on it the next day. Sure enough it had been put back in stock. I don't understand it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lucyb
    I work at a pharmacy.People steal everything,but the one at the top of my list was an open box of pregnancy test. I looked inside and it was still there,but when i took it out someone had already taken it to the bathroom peed on it and put it back in the box, back on the shelf.
    EEEEEWWWW!!!!

Blog Entries
    When I worked retail I learned more ways to cheat and steal than I could have ever guessed.. I was amazed. If they would spend as much time thinking up good things they could probably be rich! It costs everyone when people steal.

I've worked retail and as Loss Prevention only then called Store Detective. Unreal what I would catch folks taking.
    I met my DH because of a 83 year old women stealing. She had over $300.00 worth of stuff. That was 37 years ago so that amount was a felony. Called cops to come take her to jail and DH was the cop that showed up. Bless her heart for stealing. :) What alway's amazed me is that most of the folks had the money on them to pay for the stuff. This old lady just could not help herself. Poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting Carol
    Good to know I worked retail for 34.5 years and I could tell you many stories....
    Right there with you. - I've worked retail since 1980! It's amazing what the thieves think of and do that us honest folks would not and could not even imagine anyone thinking of let alone doing!

I found empty DVD cases hidden under some of our bead boxes on the shelf one day ---- 3 seasons of a TV show------ Show was get this ----- "Criminal Minds!" Two weeks later... I found 2 more empty DVD cases of ---- you guessed it ---- the next two seasons of the show for "Criminal Minds"!!!!
    I used to work in a store that sold christian cassettes and Bibles. Can't tell you how may empty cases I have found, but the kicker is empty boxes that the Bibles came in! If they had just asked, I would have personally paid for one for them. Can you imagine the irony- stealing a Bible!! I just hope they read it.

I worked in a fabric store eons ago. Every couple of months we would find a used bra extender traded in a package to be left on the display board. I guess she thought it was not stealing if she left one there in place of the one she took.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    I've worked retail and as Loss Prevention only then called Store Detective. Unreal what I would catch folks taking.
    I met my DH because of a 83 year old women stealing. She had over $300.00 worth of stuff. That was 37 years ago so that amount was a felony. Called cops to come take her to jail and DH was the cop that showed up. Bless her heart for stealing. :) What alway's amazed me is that most of the folks had the money on them to pay for the stuff. This old lady just could not help herself. Poor thing.
    For some people I think it's a psychological disorder. But note the word "some" !!

Thanks....I will check every package of stuff I buy from now on!

I am very nervous about posting this: The 'heads up' to be aware of open packages is very helpful. I will certainly try to remember to look more carefully at my purchases. However, I was kind of sad reading some of the posts in this discussion. Sure, obviously, theft is wrong and some people steal due to mental illness; but in general, everyone makes mistakes in some way. Maybe not as serious as theft, but shouldn't you just be glad you don't have that problem and hope things get better for the thief. Isn't there a Bible saying "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. . . " A few months ago I was talking with a LQS owner about this exact issue and she said that she just hopes the person who took something without paying is able to use what they took to make their life better. I thought that was just a generous way of looking at things and felt obligated to buy more of her $10 yard fabric because of her kindness to others. We need to remember that being inconvenienced by others' failures is just a fact of our lives. I hope another view is acceptable to you. Take Care, Maribeth

Maribeth, I totally understand your point of view. We were merely complaining about something that is rampant in society in general.
    Every person on earth is unique. I don't think anyone was bashing anyone :)
    HUGS, Sue

We should not take things personally on this post! I would be upset if I spent $16 and found out it was used, no matter what...it's too hard to earn a $1 anymore especially when many of us are on fixed incomes.

Lady, I agree. This topic isn't meant to be philosophical :D

Lady, I also agree. My pension is not much but I have to save for almost everything I want so I do not like to find that my meager amount goes to a wasted cause.

my dd's use to work in retail and boy, did they share some stories!
    I'm going to have to start really looking over my packages when I make purchases from now on.

I can't remember who initiated this thread, but I hope you take the package back and get your money back. The management needs to know what is going on!

Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    People do a lot of things that would never ever occur to me - I guess I'm glad I'm naive that way...
    that and the fact that no matter how old I get or how old my mother is (91 and counting) she's STILL standing behind me watching every thing I do LOL
    this is exactly the way I feel. I used to tell the ladies at wally world...I don't know how ppl steal fabric and I don't want to know.
    I don't want to understand that kind of mind!!!
    My mother doesn't look over my shoulder...my conscience does, lol!

No, but we all said we hoped it was a false negative.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I ran errands today and also picked up a new rotary cutter Friskars Comfort grip $15.97 at the local Walmart. Not till I was home did I notice that one edge of the plastic form fitted package (the hinge part) was cut open. I was a little distressed and tried to get the cutter out through just that opening. No problem, I could easily remove the rotary cutter and slip it back in through the opening. I examined it and looked if it had been used. There was no lint or anything on it and it did not show wear. Now the test. I tried to cut some quilting quality fabric. Nothing! It did not cut anything. I pushed and went back and forth. Still no cut fabric at all.
    Another thing you have to watch for at Wal-Mart regarding Fiskar is the replacement blades often have a "dead" spot on them. I bought I don't know how many before I gave up and went back to buying Olfa blades from the LQS.

The gas story reminded of another one. Years ago I worked at a very busy convenient store near the beach. people had to come in to pay. This happened twice believe it or not. A customer came in and payed $5.00 for gas. They didn't fill right away because they pretended to shop for more things. Another customer came in and payed with a twenty. They both went out and pumped. The customer with the twenty came back in and said he only got $5.00 worth. Well they had waited a while to get to the front of the line again to tell me. I checked the # on the pump and it said they had pumped $20.00. *&$%^& followed. The manager went outside with them and sure enough the person on the other side of the pumped had swicthed the handles on the pump with the one on the other side of the tank. Boy was I glad the manager was working.

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Are they going to have to put things like this behind glass just to keep from being robbed blind?
    You called that just right, my Wal-Mart keeps the cutters under glass. They were loosing to many. What a world we live in.

MNM

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5