Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone briefly explain  the Ricky Tims CONVERENCE method? >

Can anyone briefly explain the Ricky Tims CONVERENCE method?

Can anyone briefly explain the Ricky Tims CONVERENCE method?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Default Can anyone briefly explain the Ricky Tims CONVERENCE method?

I saw a few beautiful quilts @ local Quilt Show in Mesa AZ yesterday using this method. It is PERFECT for the background of a quilt that has been "brewing" in my head... Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 PM

this is bridging on copyright infringement....that's why they publish the books... they want us to buy them... search the net and youtube for Ricky's demos... he has a right to give the info away, not us...
Old 03-10-2012, 05:04 PM

I bought a book of his at a "trunk sale" made a "mug rug" as a gift for a quilter who had shared her fabrics with me. Hopefully you can find a book with a version of his technique.... it's fun!

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 03-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
this is bridging on copyright infringement....that's why they publish the books... they want us to buy them... search the net and youtube for Ricky's demos... he has a right to give the info away, not us...
Techniques cannot be copyrighted. It's fine to describe how something is done, as long as you use your own words. I do have Ricky's book on harmonic convergence quilts, and it's worth buying, if only for the eye candy. He describes several different methods and shows examples.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
discussing a technique is not copyright infringement. authors/designers cannot copyright conversation if so that would put just about most of the quilt guilds and quilters in violation. oh no....where are the quilt police?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt View Post
I saw a few beautiful quilts @ local Quilt Show in Mesa AZ yesterday using this method. It is PERFECT for the background of a quilt that has been "brewing" in my head... Thanks in advance for any help!
if you do a google search, there is info out there on how this method is actually done. i had the same questions as you several years back and did a search and found my answer. happy searching.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
discussing a technique is not copyright infringement. authors/designers cannot copyright conversation if so that would put just about most of the quilt guilds and quilters in violation. oh no....where are the quilt police?
No quilting police PLEASE Let everyone do their own thing
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 AM

I'm sure she wasn't intending to be the quilt police - she was trying to keep people from infringing on someone else's rights to intellectual property. There's so much information and dis-information about what constitutes copyright infringement out there, it's no wonder people are confused.

But, no you can't copyright a technique.

There's a lot of instruction on the web about constructing quilts of the type that Ricky Tims calls "Convergence."

His book is really a good one for making everything clear and easier to follow, though.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 AM

Okay let's see if I can post the couple pictures I did [ATTACH=CONFIG]318945[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]318946[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]318949[/ATTACH] This shows the fabrics I started with & their layout before stitching/once the stitching & slicing was done & final mugrug. Hope this helps you a little more.
Attached Thumbnails p1010906-small-.jpg   p1010907-small-.jpg   p1010908-small-.jpg  
Old 03-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks for all your comments. I did not intend to "stir up a can of worms" with this. Just wanted to know GENERAL way it was cut and put together. Thanks, thimblebug, for the pictures. They helped alot! And I can sit and STUDY them. Think I will be able to duplicate. If not, I'll buy the derned book (anybody have one for sale CHEAP?? lol !) and make some people here on the QB HAPPY !!!! Happy Quilting !