Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can now quilt on my porch

will have to try this-too bad I did not know this when I lived in Australia. The Australia National salute is a hand wave in front of the face to move the flies along!!

Flies are pesky little things-wonder if this also works for no-see-'um's or midgies as some call them.

Anybody have a cure for mosquitos that buzz around my front yard swing? i hate to spray stuff on my skin but tired of being a pint low all summer long.

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I had totally forgot about my Mom doing this in Missouri where the flies are a real problem. I don't have a problem with flies but I am going to try it against ladybugs. We get more than our share of ladybugs for some reason.
    Joyce, You can box those "Ladies" and send them to me....I wish we had more in our area!
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

What a great tip! Thanks for sharing!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
    Joyce, You can box those "Ladies" and send them to me....I wish we had more in our area!
    Be careful what you wish for. Most of the Ladybugs in MN have interbred w/ the Asian Ladybird Beetle which is more aggressive and bites humans, ask me I know.

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing. Gotta try this over the weekend.

wow who knew....going camping in a few weeks, will definitely give it a try...
    Kitty

Does it work just on your basic fly, or, on mosquitos too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoofly1 View Post
    Read through all the posts looking to see if someone beat me to this.
    I always check snopes first. They aren't saying it doesn't work though.
    If you have a fly problem, guess you can look at a gooey icky fly strip hanging from the ceiling, or a bag of money.

I have a doggy door and have to keep the plastic open for my little dog. I will try this and see if it works this summer
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

My mother used the cotton in the screen too! Can't remember if it worked or not. Since I don't have a hole in my screen think I'll try the ziplock bag.

Blog Entries
    How do you hang them up without piercing the bag and making it leak?

My classroom gets bees and wasps in the windows all through the colder months-October through at least March. (When it warms up they move out.) I'm going to try the water and penny baggies in the window sills next fall and see if that helps.

Wow this is great! Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC View Post
    & am loving it - FL is beautiful this time of year

Zip Lock Baggies...........who knew?

Various comments when you google this,,, worth a try now that spring is in the air !

ZIP LOCK BAG - Good tip!

We went with friends to a restaurant on Sunday for lunch and sat in the patio section beside the store. We happened to notice zip lock baggies pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with water, each contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut. Naturally we were curious! The owner told us that these baggies kept the flies away! So naturally we were even more curious! We actually watched some flies come in the open window, stand around on the window sill, and then fly out again. And there were no flies in the eating area! This morning I checked this out on Google. Below are comments on this fly control idea. I'm now a believer! Zip-lock water bags

#1 Says:
    I tried the zip lock bag and pennies this weekend.. I have a horse trailer. The flies were bad while I was camping. I put the baggies with pennies above the door of the LQ. NOT ONE FLY came in the trailer. The horse trailer part had many. Not sure why it works but it does!

#2 Says: Fill a zip lock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight passage way for insects. Every since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away. Some say that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some other insect nest and
    are threatened.

#3 Says: I swear by the plastic bag of water trick. I have them on porch and basement. We saw these in Northeast Mo. at an Amish grocery store & have used them since. They say it works because a fly sees a reflection & won't come around.

#4 Says: Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area and thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain but I tried it and it worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the ocscasional one, but he didn't hang around long.
    Thanks so much for sharing! I'll be using this one and sharing with my horse friends!
    Love 4 stchen

Blog Entries
    It sure is worth the try, and when it works i will be flying high, thank you so much for the tip.
    Mary

It seems to work on Knats as well!

oops!!! I meant Gnats!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2