Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can someone Help me with fathoming out.....

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Elle, that is going to be one gorgeous quilt!
    And I am surprised too, they didn't specify. Strange.
    Can't wait to see it all done, then you can send it to me! lol
    Oh no! You can save the postage. I'll just take it home with me after I go to visit you. :) :) :)
    NO no no, you canīt have this one this is for US. Not yet made a quilt for just us, I have given all the rest away. :(

Elle
    You'll have PLENTY of time to make another one before I get there. You have about a year and a half. Sheesh! So, make this one for yourself, that way, you will know all the quirks of making it and then you can do mine! :) :)

Blog Entries
    Hey Terri...pooor ole' Elle will be sooo worn out from the wedding and the making of THIS quilt that theres NO way she could get another made for you....you'll just have to settle for swiping this one when her back is turned...surely you thought of that!!! :wink:

Right I am off to the Locksmith to get a very large lock and if she want the key it will be round one of the dogs necks hee hee.

Elle

Power Poster
    68 inches by 72 inches = 4896 inches
    4896 inches divided by 144 inches = 34 square feet

144 square inches in a square foot (12 x 12)

I figure a yard of fabric - after washing - has about 35 x 40 square inches of usable fabric , which is 1400 square inches

35 x 42 = 1470

It looks like odd shapes that wouldn't cut very efficiently - and if you are using the paper piecing method - and want to fussy cut for design -

??

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray

I figure a yard of fabric - after washing - has about 35 x 40 square inches of usable fabric , which is 1400 square inches

35 x 42 = 1470

It looks like odd shapes that wouldn't cut very efficiently - and if you are using the paper piecing method - and want to fussy cut for design -

??
    Thank you so much Bearisgray for all your hard work.

I have written to the company that distributes the pattern to tell me the yardage required. If they donīt then I will have to wait till the pattern gets here.

You know when you get the urge to get all your fabrics together and you canīt, well I am miffed, however patience Elle patience :D

Power Poster
    I though you already had the pattern and the amounts weren't listed in the instructions.

Then I would have been REALLY upset with the pattern.

I can relate with wanting to get the show on the road before the pattern arrives.

How long does it take for items to reach you via mail (on average) from various locations?

35 x 42 = 1470

??
    I LOVE math! The actual size of the quilt is 68 x 78 which equals 5304 square inches.
    5304 divided by 144 equals 36 square feet, with a remainder of 120, maybe 7/8 ths of a yard?
    so, then I took the square inches in a fat quarter = 396 sq inches x 20 (if the ten light/ten dark figures are fat quarters) x 20 = 7920 square inches which works out to - - hmmm... 55 square feet ...

that looks like it would be enough to make the quilt and then some! But, we know that is where scraps come from, so more is good, right?
    I have to know if my math is correct! The square foot thing eluded me in my first post ... thanks bearis gray for filling that part in!

Power Poster
    need to remember to add for all those seam allowances

oops - didn't read carefully for the finished size

seam allowances??? what seam allowances?

LOL I didn't quite understand the square inches of the washed fabric ... my figures were trying to see if the ten/ten were fat quarters or which.
    Were you figuring out straight yards?

Power Poster
    Square inches of washed fabric:

Suppose I get a piece of fabric from the quilt shop and it measures EXACTLY 36 inches long by 42 inches wide.

I wash all my fabrics before cutting. Some people don't, but I KNOW that my finished quilts will need to be washed again at some point if they are used - which I hope they will be.

I've found that most pieces of cotton fabric shrink some when washed. Sometimes lengthwise, sometimes crosswise. I overcast the ends of the fabric before washing to minimize raveling.

If the fabric was off-grain , I could lose some more inches if I cut fabric from selvage to selvage. If the crosswise fabric grain was straight, maybe only a 1/2 inch or so due to raveling.

So, after I might lose some area due to shrinkage, raveling, being off grain, and the selvages, I maybe have 34 x 40 inches of usable fabric.

Some pattern makers seem to be very close in their fabric needs and others seem to allow for "extra."

Bottom line: I don't think I answered your question as to how much fabric you need for that quilt.

Good luck with it.

Butterflyspain I have done a couple of Judy's patterns and on the very back page it has shown the yardage. Have you checked her website?

I though you already had the pattern and the amounts weren't listed in the instructions.

Then I would have been REALLY upset with the pattern.

I can relate with wanting to get the show on the road before the pattern arrives.

How long does it take for items to reach you via mail (on average) from various locations?

Usually 2 weeks from America. Guess I will have to wait they still have not got back to me. Anyway I am very grateful to everyone who has helped me.

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by okie
    Butterflyspain I have done a couple of Judy's patterns and on the very back page it has shown the yardage. Have you checked her website?
    Oke, Have bought pattern from web but has not arrived yet. The site stated 10 Lights and 10 darks and I just wanted to get going with choosing fabrics, I have checked the website and there are no yardages, but some of the girls have come up with some very good maths on this on.

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by omak

35 x 42 = 1470

??
    Omak I take my hat of to you and Bearigrey, you just have stunned me with how you work out the fabrics you need.

Having looked at the design again and again, I think some of the fabrics will have to follow the grain so that will account for some wastage.

Think we are all agreed I need fat quarters though.
    :D
    Love ya all for helping me

Elle

I LOVE math! The actual size of the quilt is 68 x 78 which equals 5304 square inches.
    5304 divided by 144 equals 36 square feet, with a remainder of 120, maybe 7/8 ths of a yard?
    so, then I took the square inches in a fat quarter = 396 sq inches x 20 (if the ten light/ten dark figures are fat quarters) x 20 = 7920 square inches which works out to - - hmmm... 55 square feet ...

that looks like it would be enough to make the quilt and then some! But, we know that is where scraps come from, so more is good, right?
    I have to know if my math is correct! The square foot thing eluded me in my first post ... thanks bearis gray for filling that part in!

I am sure your maths are correct.

I am giving you 100/100 for that one (g)

Me I hate maths and always have. :(

I HAVE THE ANSWER!

I called Judy Niemeyer's ordering site, and the person I spoke to looked at the pattern.

It's 7/8 yards of each fabric - 10 lights and 10 darks - for a total of 17.5 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I HAVE THE ANSWER!

I called Judy Niemeyer's ordering site, and the person I spoke to looked at the pattern.

It's 7/8 yards of each fabric - 10 lights and 10 darks - for a total of 17.5 yards.
    Dunster you are an Angel, I have just had an email, where they suggest I ring their help line. However now I donīt need to cause you just did that for me.

Love ya Elle

Sorry about that Butterflyspain, I was at lunch and just read your message too fast, in fact I didn't see the second page, you had already received an answer like mine. I hope you enjoy making her patterns as I do. I made the Crown of Thorns.

Quote Originally Posted by okie
    Sorry about that Butterflyspain, I was at lunch and just read your message too fast, in fact I didn't see the second page, you had already received an answer like mine. I hope you enjoy making her patterns as I do. I made the Crown of Thorns.
    Those patterns are really awesome and I am really looking forward to starting on this one. I love Asian fabrics. Your help is surely appreciated-

Elle

Blog Entries
    So glad you got your answer Elle! Now you can get to shopping some more while you wait for the pattern. I can't wait to see you make this one...its sooo pretty!

Key around the dogs neck, huh??? Must be a biter :roll: :shock: Knowing Terri, she'll come packing steaks. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I HAVE THE ANSWER!

GOODNESS!
    that doesn't look like fat quarters to me!
    LOL - -
    Do we now remember the pattern that called for twenty yards?
    Unbe leev abull! Back to the four patches for me! LOL

Patti, yes I got some wonderful help again from this Board, everyone is soooo helpful.

No none of the dogs are biters, in fact the bigest one will probably lick her to death LOL

Right I am off to the Locksmith to get a very large lock and if she want the key it will be round one of the dogs necks hee hee.

Elle
    Oh, no worries about the dog! I'll just charm the little guy and we will become instant friends! In fact, the dog would probably get the quilt and bring it to me! lol

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi

Elle
    Oh, no worries about the dog! I'll just charm the little guy and we will become instant friends! In fact, the dog would probably get the quilt and bring it to me! lol
    I give up you have an answer for everything. Dog gone LOL

Elle

I am off to have a look for some Asian fabrics I had some money saved, so I am happy happy, happy.

Elle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast