Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you add a border after the center part is quilted? >

Can you add a border after the center part is quilted?

Can you add a border after the center part is quilted?

Old 09-04-2011, 12:15 PM

I am new at quilting and here's my question. Can you add a border after the center part of your quilt is quilted?

The center part of my quilt I want to do a stitch in the ditch method and run my stitches right off the quilt edge. Then I want to add a 5" border onto it that will wrap around to the back of the quilt so the back of the quilt will have a 5" border as well. Do I just put the batting in the border loose or does it need to as attached to the quilt as well? Once the border is on then I'd have to quilt the border seperately.

Does this make sense?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:18 PM

If I'm understanding correctly, yes you can add a border. And yes, you need to secure the batting to the quilt ( can you sew it to the batting inside the center? ). And yes, you need to quilt the border also.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 749janet
I am new at quilting and here's my question. Can you add a border after the center part of your quilt is quilted?

The center part of my quilt I want to do a stitch in the ditch method and run my stitches right off the quilt edge. Then I want to add a 5" border onto it that will wrap around to the back of the quilt so the back of the quilt will have a 5" border as well. Do I just put the batting in the border loose or does it need to as attached to the quilt as well? Once the border is on then I'd have to quilt the border seperately.

Does this make sense?
You can add the border separately after the main (center is quilted. Add it as a QAYG --four sections prequilted. I did one like that. I prequilted the border also so when the last piece was added, the quilt was finished.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 PM

I always leave batting around the edges of my quilt to be used for the borders later. In other words, I use a larger size batt.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 PM

I have a friend who did the binding already on her quilt. She would like to remove the binding and add a border. The quilt is already quilted but not washed. Any ideas on how she can add a border once you already completed the quilt?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 AM

Check out "quilt as you go " method