Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can You Believe Thread was once 35 Cents?

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA

Can You Believe Thread was once 35 Cents?

I have been sewing since I was 10 years old (50 years). When my Mom passed away I took all of her sewing supplies. I still have 2 spools of thread with the price still on them, they were 35 cents for 125 yards. They are colors you wouldn't use every day, dark magenta and turquoise. I love thinking of her every time I see them.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    Ha! I remember when gasoline was 29 cents a gallon!!!

Blog Entries
    I have some thread that belonged to my husband's grandmother. She passed away 28 years ago at age 92. She was a wonderful seamstress and quilter. It makes me smile when I look at them. I wonder what she would think about he way we quilt today.
    D
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

lol, me too. i don't think I knew about thread back then, but I remember the gasoline signs as I reclined in the station wagon ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I can top that. I have my grandmother's wooden spools with thread on them and they were 5 cents. They were from the 1930's and I have her Singer sewing machine that she bought for $3.00 per week for 6 months in 1937. I just used it this past week on the quilt I am making and it is still as wonderful for me as it was for her.
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    made me think of my late mil one day a few years ago she handed me a dollar and ask me to do to store and pick up 3 or 4 spools of thread she was suffering with alz. but hadn't lost her sewing skills her items were no longer precise like they once were but she stilled quilted

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    My goodness! I was going to say that exact thing. I can also remember when bread was the same price, and stamps were a nickel.

I wish I had some of my mother's old wooden spools, and the buttons. She had a large wooden box filled with buttons. We never seemed to actually use them. We just played with them.
    Last edited by Boston1954; 05-05-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Me too. We could cruise all night for $1.00.

But putting everything into perspective, my husband's first job only paid $65 per week!

Blog Entries
    The dollar sure has lost a lot of value over the years. Seems silly it takes more dollars, could just raise the dollar value. But I know it doesn't work that way but it should.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    My goodness! I was going to say that exact thing. I can also remember when bread was the same price, and stamps were a nickel.

I wish I had some of my mother's old wooden spools, and the buttons. She had a large wooden box filled with buttons. We never seemed to actually use them. We just played with them.
    Ok, I'm old! I remember the 3cent stamp! Still have the button box...3 infact. Have lots of wooden spools. Don't remember the price of bread. Mother baked her own.

I remember when gasoline stations would have gas wars. Gas station on every corner, and it would get down to a dime for awhile. Ice cream cone was a nickel for one dip, malted milk was thirty-four cents, and 1/2 gal of ic cream was $1.00 with tax. I remember going to the store for thread, pattern, and fabric with $5.00, and coming home with change. LOL I must be older than I feel.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Power Poster
    I also remember the 3-cent stamp.

Wish I had kept the old old Sears or Montgomery Ward catalog when a shirt was less than 50 cents. Maybe people really did make only $1.00 a day back then.

If one goes back to percentage of income, maybe some things still cost the same.

If one only had 10 cents, 25 cents was a LOT of money then.

Lots of company on Memory Lane this morning. When I was in college, gas was 23 a gallon, cigarettes were 21 a pack, and Life Savers were 5 a roll. Life was good!
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I remember when a 3 Musketeers bar was five cents and advertised as big enough to "share with a friend" -- and it was! I used to share with two friends because the bar used to be divided into 3 parts, not 2 as it is now. My father said as a child he was able to buy a bucket of milk (I'm sure it was whole milk!) for a nickel. And I remember when my typewriter keyboard had a cents sign. My current computer keyboard does not have one; I suspect it was replaced by the @ sign!

Oh my gosh! How fun this thread is. Remember evening in paris perfume, Ipanna toothpaste, orange cream push-up ice cream, blackjack gum? How about 45's and skirts with a huge scratchy slip, I forgot the name of, and you wore a scarf on your ponytail. Oh it was a crinoline!

I have a paper pattern box 3/4 full of thread spools. My niece grew up using them to play with. (she is eight in july) I also have many, many older sewing patterns I have collected through the years. The sizing on them was so different than today's.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-06-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    My daughter needed a cover for her Sunbeam mixer and all the patterns in current books were for Kitchenaids. I found a pattern in my pattern drawer and knew it must have been there for many years.....the price on it was 25 cents!

Blog Entries
    My father used to tell me about Saturday cinema where you paid 1 penny and watched films plus an orange. He would be 93 now.
    My Saturday cinema never interested me but I do remember a man outside giving puppies away.
    In the village the milk came in a churn on the back of a cart pulled by a horse and you filled up any container you had.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I remember back during WW2, Mom fed 5 of us on $5.00 a week. She allways said "Thank G.. for rationing stamps."

I must be really old. I remember everything on this topic. LOL

Blog Entries
    Yes and if your were low on funds you could get a dollars worth and actually have enough to go somewhere!

...and the milkman came to the house to pick up the empty glass bottles and leave full ones.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I remember many of these. We used to take the large spools for thread (once empty), hammer in 4 nails, and make a knitted tube from that. Now instead of using this freebe, you buy a plastic spool with tabs on it to do the same thing. Or, buy some newly made wooden spools, and add nails.

Speaking of thread -- I don't know how much the thread cost at the time, but my grandmother's job as a child was to carefully remove the basting threads from garments her aunt (a paid seamstress) was making. The point was that the basting thread was re-used. Grandma was born in 1886. I imagine she probably had to do that again later on during the depression to conserve thread.