Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you buy a long arm quilting machine for $1000?

Can you buy a long arm quilting machine for $1000?

I just bought a quilting frame and now I need to find a machine for it. Can I buy a decent machine for $1000 or less? Any suggestions on which ones I should check out? Im clueless as to which ones are best.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Look at the Bailey Home Quilter. A 13" machine is around $1300 I think. I have a 17" and love every inch of it!!
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Would it be wise to buy a used machine? I have old Singers that I love but have no idea what to look for in a quilting machine.

Blog Entries
    you should first start visiting shows/dealers & test=driving all the different machines to decide which machines you like-have the features you want- are comfortable for you----then after having a list of what you like/don't like you could start looking at ads for used machines- long-arm machines new start around $5000-$7000...there are mid-arms that are less---
    if you find a used machine for $1000 or less, buy it then hate it- you did not get a deal- so you should research & test drive as many as you possibly can before making a decision- it's like buying a car some of us like one- others like something totally different- it's an investment not to be made based on price alone
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I was machine shopping and they had a machine for $1099, straight stitch, heavy duty, long harp, new. Don't recall the brand as I wasn't interested in a straight stitch, but could find out for you if you are interested. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    I was machine shopping and they had a machine for $1099, straight stitch, heavy duty, long harp, new. Don't recall the brand as I wasn't interested in a straight stitch, but could find out for you if you are interested. PM me.
    Since I know nothing about long arms, I have a question.

Why is a "straight stitch" machine not what you want. I thought all quilting machines --long armed ones, do a straight stitch. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Since I know nothing about long arms, I have a question.

Why is a "straight stitch" machine not what you want. I thought all quilting machines --long armed ones, do a straight stitch. Am I wrong?
    That's what I thought too. All the Long-arm work I have seen here is a straight stitch.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I also would like to know about the $1099 machine please.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I don't think you will be able to find a machine with a harp larger than 9" at that price, unless you get a deal on a used machine. You can get a JukiTl98, a Brother 1500 or Janome 1600, all of which are high speed straight stitch machines with a 9" harp, for well under $1000. Mine was about $800 barely used, original packaging, all the accessories. They are not long arm machines, or even midarm, so on a frame you would have limited working space, but they can both be mounted on a frame. Just don't expect the results of a real long arm. You will be readjusting the top frequently.

Do you know which machines will fit your frame? What kind of frame is it?
    Last edited by Krisb; 04-08-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

http://www.superquilter.com/pics/
    This is the frame I bought. I just really hate to put alot of money into this "hobby".
    Judy

I got the frame so cheap that I went ahead and bought it without realizing how much a machine would cost for it. grrrrr

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

Would this work on a proflex frame?

Blog Entries
    From what I understand that machine only has an 8 5/8" throat which is not a long arm. I would rather go with something like a Juki tl98p which has a slightly bigger throat and I personally think a better reputation for reliability than the Singer. If the machine is going to stay mounted on the frame do you really need all the fancy stitches?
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

The Juiki is about $2000. Was hoping to find something a little cheaper. Looks like I might not be able to.

The Juki TL98 is on ebay for "Buy it Now" at $899. I'm curious about it.I have another Juki, and love it. Now sure how this one is though.

since you saved so much o the frame, I think its okay to spend a little bit more on the machine

The Juki TL9 only has an 8.5" throat area. Would that work on the proflex frame?

Just remember any machine you buy, if you take care of it, will last you for years, and you can do more than just quilt on them. Spend a little extra now may save you in the long run, get one that will do what you want, don't get one that you think you can make do with you won't be happy with it.

I agree with the suggestion of a BHQ 13. I really want a BHQ 17. Have fun shopping around.

There are Juki's, Brothers and Janome's that are used on frames around and under 1000.00
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I bought my Juki on ebay and I love it!
    Lori McC

I started with a Mega Quilter on a frame like yours. If you're only going to do it as a hobby and can deal with doing just overall designs or small pantographs you'll be OK with this. I quickly became frustrated by the lack of space and the ability to do anything bigger including block designs. But it's hard to get a larger longarm for that price. You can get the above on ebay - just keep checking. If you want to spend a bit more check Craig's list and the different midarm-long arm companies websites - sometimes they have reconditioned ones as a fair price. Good luck.

It looks like the machine on the frame in your link is a Janome 1600. I have quilted on one of these and the machine I used did not have a stitch regulator. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to get your stitches even without a regulator.

Krisb mentioned the Brother 1500 which I use on my quilting frame. It works OK but has only a 9" throat so I have limited workspace and frequent adjustments. The longarms start at around $10,000.00 here, so I've only played with other peoples'. If you are prepared to adjust a lot and not get quite the same result as a longarm, then all of Krisb's suggestions would be suitable. Try to get one with a speed regulator and an easily accessible on/off button if you do go for the cheaper models.

My first machine was from WOW Quilting Machines with a Hinterberg frame. I paid $1500 for the setup in 2003 and sold it for $960 in 2008. I now have a Gammill. Google WOW Quilting. They were really nice to work with. I had a lot of questions back in 2003 and they were very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast