Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot use a thimble....argh!

Blog Entries
    i have that trouble too - i used a piece of tape to go around it to sorta of draw it up smaller. made it fit better but i still like the round leather thimbles.

I can not use a thimble if I put one on I will use another finger, I have tried the leather, plastic, and the metal ones no luck the plaster patch has worked the best for me.

Blog Entries
    I use the thimble dots that adhere to your fingers... lol I have two on each hand! I am still looking for the perfect thimble! A friend of mine has a sterling silver one that fits me perfectly and I hope to find one at the next quilting show I go to! Some sell vintage timbles...

I only use a thimble when I am quilting and I use the metal with the recessed top on it. When I am doing the binding or piecing I just don't use anything. :)

I have a bunch of thimbles, but only 1 that fits correctly. If I ever loose that I'm in trouble. Thimbles are like shoes, you have to find the ones that fit.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I can't use a thimble due to long fingernails.
    they make thimbles for people with long nails,ito open on the end so it lsips over the nail

Quote Originally Posted by BRenea
    I never could use a thimble...even the little adhesive leather or rubber pads feel weird. I do have some Clover brand leather thimbles that slip on like a ring...I love those!!!
    I just discovered those, also, and think they are wonderful! I thought I was the only person in the world who used the side of my finger to push the needle! They are Clover, I think.

I use an open ended thimble so my nail goes past the thimble, not in it. Love it !!! I have worn out 2 of them and am on my 3rd.

I use the rubber ones and absolutely love them. Can't imagine pushing a needle through the binding fabrics without one. I've gotten so used to them, I use a thimble when I sew on a button.

JS
    I have tried just about everything and still can not use a thimble. I will keep trying but as long as I get the desired finish I can suffer through.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe03
    I just cannot come to terms with using a thimble. I only have one end of my binding sewn and am already well on my way to a sore finger! Anyone else have this problem and what do you use to keep the needle eye from poking at you?
    I can't use them either! For some reason they drive me crazy. Maybe it's a sensory thing. lol :roll:

I use a leather thimble with a metal spot; a bit pricey but well worth it; works great! I get them at JoAnn's with the 40% off coupons.

i use a bandaid with the pad at the sore spot,,sometimes the needle goes thru but it does help in the long run

I have the same problem. I found these, which are called "Nimble Thimble" and they have a slit that your fingernail goes through. I have a tendency to push with the side of my middle finger, and this one comes down to the first knuckle and protects the side of my finger. As with most things, the small is too tight and the medium is not tight enough, but I found that if I put a finger cot on first, the thimble fits good.

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...348&cat_id=143

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I can't use a thimble due to long fingernails.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    Here is a link for some open ended, tubular metal thimbles
    http://www.stanssewingsupplies.com/c...prodid=4954596

and leather and metal ones, very pretty
    http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/thimbles.html
    too Much, I went to stanssewing and found how to measure a thimble and I'm sossss confuuuuused. They show it on a thumb. Is that how to use a thimble? I thought it was for the middle or ring finger???

I wrap a band-aid around my thumb and middle finger. It really helps. Never could use a thimble.

Blog Entries
    They now make leather thimbles, that work much better for those of us who are thimble challenged, or like me, have my father's stubby fingers.

Now I think I understand the concept of collecting thimbles -- we keep buying ones that we can't or won't use, so we just say we are 'collecting' them!!

I can't use one either. I have long nails and use the back of my index fingernail. I have a little callous on the middle finger from pushing the needle. I am left handed but sew righthanded. I know it is very strange. The only thing I do with my left hand is write.

I, too, swear by the leather thimbles.

Quote Originally Posted by laurlync
    I have the same problem with a regular, rigid thimble, but I switched to a leather thimble and it works great.
    I have a leather one too and I like it very much. Also they make bright colored rubber ones as well as little rounds (what ever they are called) that have sticky on one side to stick to you finger instead of using a thimble. I have never tried those.

Blog Entries
    Hi, I share your hate of thimbles but have found a perfect solution. Go to www.colonialneedle.com and click on Thimbles and then on Fingertip. They have a wonderful product called Thimble its. It is an oval shaped sticky back piece of hardish plastic. They come in packs of about 100 if I remember correctly - they last so long, I haven't had to reorder for ages. They a absolutely fantastic. Cheap too.

I use a leather one on my middle right finger, nothing on any of my other fingers. I tried one of the plastic ones that slipped on the finger, didn't like that at all.

I can't sew without one either! When mine is out of pocket, I search until I can find one. I have my mother's thimbles but her hands were a lot smaller than mine so I can't use hers and I always know where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by campion
    I can't sew without one

Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe03
    I just cannot come to terms with using a thimble. I only have one end of my binding sewn and am already well on my way to a sore finger! Anyone else have this problem and what do you use to keep the needle eye from poking at you?
    It took me a long time to get used to wearing a thimble. I now comfortably wear a metal one (indentation in the end to "catch" the needle) and it has to be a snug fit; one that does not fit right is impossible to get used to.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast