Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cannot use a thimble....argh! >

Cannot use a thimble....argh!

Cannot use a thimble....argh!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:34 AM

It isn't that I can't get used to one, it's that I can't find one that will stay on!!! I bought a leather one and it stays on better. I saw somewhere that there was one that's adjustable. I just may have to buy one!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Get one of your inexpensive metal thimbles and a hammer. Tap the thimble on the side until it forms an slight oval shape. Fit and tap until it fits just right. The thimble will fit comfortable and stay on.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 AM

I have never come to terms with a thimble. I use a small (garage grunge free) needle nose pliers. They can be used to either push or pull the needle. I know I've corrupted the last quilting bee I went to because everyone kepts stealing my pliers all day long.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 AM

I never could use a thimble...even the little adhesive leather or rubber pads feel weird. I do have some Clover brand leather thimbles that slip on like a ring...I love those!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 AM

I am happy to learn that I am not the only one who can't use a thimble and I have tried many times.
Originally Posted by freezeframe03
I just cannot come to terms with using a thimble. I only have one end of my binding sewn and am already well on my way to a sore finger! Anyone else have this problem and what do you use to keep the needle eye from poking at you?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 AM

I have used a leather thimble, I like it better than the metal thimbles. But it still seems too bulky for me. So now I just wrap the end of my finger in a few layers of masking tape....works for me! :)
Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM

Finally realized that thimbles are very uncomfortable for me because I have short fingers and some arthritis so the rim of the thimble was pressing against my knuckle joint and making it raw. First I tried putting a piece of cotton ball in the tip of the thimble and then bought myself one of the new thimbles made of neon colored rubber with a metal tip. Yippee! Great for tying my quilt! Not cheap, but so worth it!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by raptureready
Mom used the hard metal kind but I have a "bump" on my finger and can't use that kind. I found some self-adhesive leather dots that can be used over and over and I love them. I've also used the clear plastic dots and they work well too.
I recently saw thimble that might help you with your bump. They have a soft, silicone sort of part that fits over your finger, with just a metal top to them. I think Clotilde do them. (Protect & grip: http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cat_id=143 )
And a bunch of other fabric stores sell them, too. About $10.00 but really worth it!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 AM

I cannot wear a thimble either. I use a small piece of plastic cut from a card box and tape it to my finger using surgical tape. Works for me. I end up retaping about every 1/2 hour, but that's OK. Usually need to take a break that often anyway.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM

And I thought I was the only one who couldn't use a thimble. I've tried several different kinds, metal, leather, the finger cots, -- what finally worked for me was plain old masking tape wrapped several times around the finger.