Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy? >

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Old 09-30-2011, 05:08 AM

I had carpal tunnel starting in one hand after my first pregnancy. The numbness was slight and progressed for over 20 years then went to the other hand. I did the splints which helped at night. Finally I had surgery and it worked! Carpal tunnel release surgery has come a long way and the key is not to wait until there is permanent nerve damage.
I could never have held a needle if I didn't have the surgery! You will know when you are ready.

Pat R.N.

Yeah................it HURTS.............
I ice it twenty minutes on and then off and later during the day, twenty minutes on again. I do that about four times a day....the brace is a wonderful help....not lifting/carrying anything is a major key in healing. I hadn't thought about wearing the brace at night....great idea, I will try that. It sure puts a crimp in my style. Healing to all of my "fellow" CTS sufferers.

I had the surgery on my right wrist a couple of years ago. I was having trouble even holding the stearing wheel. It has helped, but, I still ache when I do too much cutting ,knitting, lifting and particularly using the mouse on the computer. So I have to watch myself. The braces help!
Good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:15 AM

I was a teacher and when I no longer could put grades in a grade book or write on the chalkboard, I had surgery on both wrists. I am never sorry that I had that done.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:18 AM

Hi - new here, but I just have to comment. I spent about 2 years going thru the PT, steroid injections, braces. even acupuncture. I now stop strangers- if I see that they have braces on- to tell them how great the surgery was for me. It's been 11 years and I still remember how miserable I was before. Good luck.
bj
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 AM

After suffering for years with sometimes unbearable pain, I had carpal tunnel surgery, first my right hand and a few weeks later, my left hand. My only regret is that I didn't do it MUCH sooner. That has been over four years ago. It is possible to wait too long; luckily I have all feeling back and no numbness.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:23 AM

Yes, I have carpal tunnel in my right wrist. My orthopedic Dr. gives me an injection every 3 months and it works wonders. No more sleeping with a brace at night. Ask your Dr. about it. I couldn't believe the difference, it doesn't bother me at all now.
Doris1334
Old 09-30-2011, 05:45 AM

Ask you doctor about the ergonomics that may be affecting your carpal tunnel, it comes from repetitive motion and stress on joints, muscles, sometime the correct height of a machine, computer, etc will help the situation. I use a little gel mouse pad for my computer, and limit the time I spend there at one sitting.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
This is excellent advice. Also, ask your Dr. for a prescription for Voltaren gel. It is an nsaid but won't bother your stomach or kidneys like things taken internally. It cost me $31 with my insurance but well worth it. I will be praying that you pain lessens. I know that my ankle, hip and knee have been much better since I started this regimen only a few days ago. You only have to put a small amount on and it is nongreasy and no smell.

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I had the braces made to fit my hand with the steel in them and sleep in them. Allows me a lot more of my day before the pain sets in. Also spread things out. Carpal pain is from repetition. SO I cut a while, sew a while, sew, take a stretching break, etc. Just to break up repeating the same motion over and over. It helps a lot
Voltaren is good stuff, I suffer from several bulged discs, and have had one discectomy already, the gel helps get the inflammation under control, and I ice the area, usually the flare up will go away in 2 or 3 days if I just STOP doing the thing that caused it for a few days, like too long at the sewing machine or computer.:)
Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 AM

I had surgery