Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by vagabondmom
That's a lovely idea. The nursing home where first my mother, then my father 4 months later died had a tradition when a patient died. When the funeral home came to get the body, the nursing home had a special quilt they used to cover the body as it was wheeled to the hearse. Then the quilt was placed on that person's bed and left for 24 hours so that any staff that had not been on duty at the time would know why that bed was empty. That was just one of the traditions that nursing home had for a death.
Awww, what a lovely idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 PM

My mother was so proud of her 'darning sewing machine' in 1955, that she made several quilts, or quilted blankets. They were old blankets covered with fabric then seams run through it, but not in a pattern. After all, it was not a free motion machine, exactly. She was not one for intricate work. I cherished that blanket but it was nearly in threads when I lost my darling Chow Chow. I rolled her in it and duck taped it and lowered her to her final rest. Both loves together, forever. I think I'll do a postage stamp quilt for my final cover. Thanks for the lovely posts, GBU all. Ruth
Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Many touching, warm-hearted thoughts and memories in this post so why do I find an equal number absolutely hilarious. I did have a long day today. Nervous laughter or have I gone completely over the edge?? :|
Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
Many touching, warm-hearted thoughts and memories in this post so why do I find an equal number absolutely hilarious. I did have a long day today. Nervous laughter or have I gone completely over the edge?? :|
It's just what they call comic relief. When we are dealing with something so sad, we need some levity added in.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 PM

Alright this is still funny to me after all these years. My father pastored a small aging church. One morning there were two brass plante stands next to the podium. My father motioned to them and explained they were a thankyou gift from one of the local funeral homes for all the business we had given them lately. I remember a very long silence to follow as he swalloed hard trying to regoup and in his normal stlye siad- now lets sing hymn number 322 or what ever the number was. Okay so as kids we laughed often at his mistakes that were not a pastor no one would have known
Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 PM

I'm a genealogist. I respect the wishes of others but I cannot tell you the many heart felt times I have had when finding another relative in an old cemetery after hunting for them. You never know who in your family will get the "hunting bug." To explain what it felt like to be in the cemetery where my 7th grandfather back was buried in 1691 - would be more than you want to hear about. He was on the second ship after the Mayflower, The "Good Fortune" that landed in Plymouth in 1621. I guess what I am saying is - think it over - and leave a trail.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 PM

Alright this is still funny to me after all these years. My father pastored a small aging church. One morning there were two brass plant stands next to the podium. My father motioned to them and explained they were a thank you gift from one of the local funeral homes for all the business we had given them lately. I remember a very long silence to follow as he swallowed hard trying to regroup and in his normal style said- now lets sing hymn number 322 or what ever the number was. Okay so as kids we laughed often at his mistakes that were he not a pastor no one would have known
Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by kacie
Originally Posted by Gator
I think flowers are a total waste of money. Beautiful yes,but at todays prices, ugh. Put the money into donations. .
I've told my family to include a line in my obituary that no flowers will be allowed in, and that I will come back to haunt anyone who sends them.
lol
Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 PM

i am donating my body to the U of A medical school so , no worries about funeral expenses. its a great program. they immediately transport your remains after death free of charge to the universiy and return your cremated remains to your family in about a years time. hopefully the medical students will learn something, especially about the rare liver disease i have. medical schools are really in need of bodies to teach their trade. if you don't want to burden your loved ones with funeral expenses this is the way to go. [ pun intended ]. a friends family had a memorial luncheon to honor her mother when her ashes were sent to her. some of you may want to look into these programs.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 PM

I too think it is a wonderful idea. My sister died on 9/27 and SIL on 9/30 (been a hard couple of weeks) My sister donated her body but we had a memorial service and we had her favorite quilt on display with pictures all around it on a bookshelf. My SIL had a store bought throw that she loved to cover with in her recliner that said "Live, Love, Laugh" draped on her casket and her rosary and a red rose in her hand. When they closed the casket they put the throw in with her.