Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral windows help >

Cathedral windows help

Cathedral windows help

Old 10-04-2020, 04:20 AM

Toogie, just remembered I have a bluejean quilt in a container ready to be assembled, its for a teenage boy. Made use of my stash of bluejean cutoffs and pre-cut 5" squares that weren't quite 5". One way to get rid of my hated pre-cuts. Need to get started on it soon before he grows up and out of the house too. Thought I'd just use my decorative stitches on my sewing machine to sew around the curves.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:24 AM

Are you asking for help with color placement on the blocks?

Are you using the circle template method or the 4 patch square method?

You could also make a 4 patch and then cut the circle template. That way you can plan color placement.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:27 AM

CW Is my favorite hand work. Have made 3 totally by hand. They traveled with me on every trip.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:27 AM

CW Is my favorite hand work. Have made 3 totally by hand. They traveled with me on every trip.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:03 AM

So - this is how I might do it - start with a square of one solid color for your petal and and two squares the same size as your petal for the "background" fabric. Fold and press the two background fabrics on the diagonal and place both on top of your petal fabric (folds touching and covering it completely). Pin in place. You could assemble the rows first then sew back the flaps to show your petals or sew open the flaps first then sew them tog. Using this method the squares would be assembled on point

One other option is to use the EQ template. Several gals I know have made these orange peels with dryer sheets on the back. Sew on the shape stitching line right side towards the dryer sheet, make a small slit in the middle of the dryer sheet - turn and press - then applique.

Good luck - looks like a really cute quilt!!
Attached Thumbnails snap.jpg  
Old 10-04-2020, 05:48 AM

Thanks all ... I already have all of my 3 inch squares cut, and all the triangles ironed, so I am going with that route ... now to watch videos and figure out layout!

I do want it so that the only white fabric is the curved part, so I will have fun I'm sure!
Old 10-05-2020, 04:50 AM

This is what I've got so far. Turns out it was easier than I thought for the block placement ... the triangles? Now that was a whole new story LOL took three times of "placing" them before I figured it out LOL

I wish there was a pattern layout somewhere, I want to be able to "colour" the pattern so I could put in other colour triangles, but have them placed correctly!

Attached Thumbnails cathedral.jpg  
Old 10-05-2020, 06:37 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
This is what I've got so far.
That's going to be a stunning quilt!
Old 10-05-2020, 01:20 PM

Snooze2978, I made a mistake putting batting, especially in a queen size blue jean quilt. It is way too heavy and will have to be commercially washed and dried as I would be afraid it would break my washer. It was for my grandson. I should have made with just the circle jeans and my sqs. They could have still used it on the bed or for an outside quilt. picnic or porch. If I ever do blue jeans again, well let's just say, I learned how heavy they get. It won't be any larger than a twin either.
Attached Thumbnails dsc08515-qb-web.jpg   dsc08505-w-1.jpg