Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chain sewing

Several years ago, I did a quilting weekend w/2 of my DSILs, my cousin and niece. SILs had minimal sewing experience, cousin is an expert seamstress (clothing-never made a quilt) and niece had never turned on a sewing machine. We used Eleanor Burn's book on log cabins. Every quilt turned out great. I had made a number of quilts, but never a log cabin. Mine was a batik.
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman"

QM
    Thesre days my seams are generally pretty exact, but I still PP my log cabins when I feel a need for greater than usual precision.

Banned
    Thank you JaninVA!

Quote Originally Posted by sewincircles View Post
    Thank you JaninVA!
    Ditto!! Wanted to try it, but chickened out in the past (you could have seen the feathers from a 100 ft.)think I can try it now!

Jan is absolutely correct! Ask me how I know, I know because I took her class. Have a great day and beware the Ides of March are upon us.

I have found that heavily starching your fabric also helps, it tends to stretch out of shape less, the other is to finger press and use a dry iron or very very light steam only. Make sure you sew them all on the same machine, a minute difference using a different machine part way through, becomes larger with each round.

I want to second the comment on starching the fabric well before you start cutting. I learned that from someone here on QB and it has saved my quilts many times. I'm currently making a log cabin quilt using QAUG and it's easy to keep square using the basting stitches for the backing and batting. I was typing the same time as Squires and I second the other comments too!
    Last edited by gardnergal970; 03-15-2013 at 08:59 AM.

I just watched Rose Ludlow's quick piecing log cabin quilt on her latest video. It was fantastic and well worth trying to find.
    Her site is ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk. Love her she has a new video every month, free, and I save them all.

Blog Entries
    I read somewhere that when you cut fabric for Log Cabin Quilts it is best to cut the fabric along the length not the width of the fabric as there is less stretch.
    Aussie Carol

Power Poster
    I have used paper piecing for a log cabin quilt, but this time around I am just cutting 2.5 strips from each fabric, then sub-cutting after I sew each round. It's a little more work, however, by squaring the block up after adding one round, one black and one white, I keep the blocks from becoming "wonky" and I wind up with a nearly "perfect" 12" block, 11.5" finished. I hope this makes sense, but sewing this way, the strips don't get stretched, and I'm only trimming slivers off each round. I'll try to post a picture when the quilt is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    Are you saying the center square is 1/8" larger? That's such a small amount, I think you'd be fine to just center the square against the first log. If they are all 1/8" off, make sure that when you hold your ruler over the sections of fabric to cut, that the line is directly on or even just butted up against the edge of fabric.

I would make a test block...just enough to make one. Figure out your hiccups now before you cut out all those blocks. Chain piecing is exactly how I'd make this too...and I've been quilting for ten years.
    Whether you chain piece or not, I'd make the first block first. And I wouldn't cut all the pieces at once, but that's just me. I get bored cutting, then I get bored piecing, so I alternate it. It's probably not very efficient but it works for me and also gives me a chance to see if I'm doing something wrong before cutting all that fabric.

Jan,

Loved your post - so very informative!

Question: Do you cut your fabric WOF or LOF?

I recently read somewhere that LOF would alleviate wonky LC squares.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Actually, I cut my fabric from selvage to selvage - or WOF.......because: though I have up to 100 values of, say, blue or red or yellow in my stash, there may be less than 1/2 yard left of some of those fabrics in the particular value/print I need. I'd have too many 1/2 yard or 1/3 yard short strips if I cut on the LOF.

To make this log cabin, for instance, I had many different fabrics to cut, but only 2-3 strips of some of them. So I used less than 4" of some of those fabrics and was able to cut 42" long strips from that. To cut long strips otherwise, you'd have to have yardage. And I don't often DO yardage!

That's just my stash-building personality; if I'm out of one print, I have the opportunity for the creative challenge of finding another that will work and add texture to the quilt, but often the viewer's eye isn't aware of the *detail* of that in my finished quilt; they just know they "like it"!

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Jan,

Thanks for the logical reasoning - I need that sometimes!

Beautiful quilt BTW!

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    I've started my log cabin. I'm not cutting out all the pieces, but am sewing them on strips, then cutting them. I'm also trimming them as I go. I'm amazed at how "off" some of the pieces are even though I'm being careful. I think this is what caused my dilemma with the first log cabin I made. All my squares are now the same dimension and I'm not trying to make the fabric fit. It is taking longer to get through all 120 squares, but not frustrating at all. Thank you all for your help!

this is the only way i will make a log cabin quilt. once you make one by the strip method, you will be hooked. you can square up each square when the blocks are made before sewing them together if needed. if you have a 12-hr. day with no interuptions to sew (no dogs, kids or husband to bother you) you can cut and sew a full/queen sized quilt top.
    Quote Originally Posted by SewFarBehind View Post
    I have done the strip method and had no problem. Eleanor Burns has a "Quilt in a Day: Log Cabin" that's very helpful.

Jan, I love this quilt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Actually, I cut my fabric from selvage to selvage - or WOF.......because: though I have up to 100 values of, say, blue or red or yellow in my stash, there may be less than 1/2 yard left of some of those fabrics in the particular value/print I need. I'd have too many 1/2 yard or 1/3 yard short strips if I cut on the LOF.

To make this log cabin, for instance, I had many different fabrics to cut, but only 2-3 strips of some of them. So I used less than 4" of some of those fabrics and was able to cut 42" long strips from that. To cut long strips otherwise, you'd have to have yardage. And I don't often DO yardage!

That's just my stash-building personality; if I'm out of one print, I have the opportunity for the creative challenge of finding another that will work and add texture to the quilt, but often the viewer's eye isn't aware of the *detail* of that in my finished quilt; they just know they "like it"!

Jan in VA

Be sure to 'square' your block after each log row. That way the block will not get away from you. I speak for experience ( a very wonky log cabin square).

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    Quote Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
    Be sure to 'square' your block after each log row. That way the block will not get away from you. I speak for experience ( a very wonky log cabin square).
    This is what I'm doing. I am amazed how off the block ends up, even though I'm being careful. I'm glad I posted here so I can prevent getting frustrated!

I don't precut my fabrics to length. I make log cabin quilts all from scraps so I cut as I go. Doing it my way I can adjust my strips to make the blocks come out right.

I would really like to recommend that you cut your strips raw edge to raw edge, not selvage to selvage. You end up with a much more stable piece of fabric that works beautifully when piecing.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
    I would really like to recommend that you cut your strips raw edge to raw edge, not selvage to selvage. You end up with a much more stable piece of fabric that works beautifully when piecing.
    I agree, if you cut a strip of fabric by length versus width you will see there is less "stretch" on the fabric cut by length than WOF.
    Aussie Carol

If you cut the logs so that the length is cut from length of fabric, they won't stretch. In other words, if you are cutting logs 4 1/2" long, cut a strip 4 1/2" x WOF, and then subcut into your log width. It's amazing how simple this is and how well it corrects the stretching problem!
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

You are my kind of teacher. this sounds excellent!

Thank you, jan!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast