Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charity: what organizations do you donate to? >

charity: what organizations do you donate to?

charity: what organizations do you donate to?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM

I prefer to donate locally, so I checked into QFK and PL awhile back, but neither has a local chapter that's close enough for me to arrange transportation.

Instead, I donate to several local organizations, especially those that help provide Christmas for needy kids. Sometimes I donate a quilt or other handmade item for a raffle or door prize at a fundraising event, and other times I donate toys or money or whatever the organization requests.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:07 AM

We have our own charity here in Poland and we give to those around us. Today we give out food (food bank) and will include some lap quilts as I have a lady who makes them for us (the lady is in AZ).
Old 03-11-2014, 02:40 AM

you guys are some awesome people!
i love reading what the organizations accomplish.

right now, being that we're going to relocate, i'm keeping all of my crafting small... i'm currently only making blankets for our local no-kill animal shelter.

please keep the list growing! this is so awesome!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:07 AM

I do project Linus, last year I made 11 and I hope to exceed that this year.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:18 AM

I make quilts for our Church missions auction, new born at one of our hospitals and QOV.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:49 AM

I mostly make quilts for our local Linus Chapter. I average 21 each month. Our local chapter takes in and distributes at least 600 each month. Several months ago we had 900 for that month. I also make Princess Pillowcase Dresses. It is a little dress based on a pillowcase. They get sent mostly to little girls in tropical islands that would otherwise be naked. It helps keep them from being molested.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 AM

Our Guild give to Habitat for Humanity, our local Hospital's neonatal department, Meals on Wheels (placemats), and Children's Home Society which takes care of displaced children in the system. Someone has recently started collecting cutting scraps for dogbeds for the Animal Shelter.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:38 AM

I am a member of the Sunshine On-line Quilt Guild that makes quilts for Wrap-a-Smile (WAS) and Quilts Beyond Borders (QBB) – we always welcome new members! WAS sends quilts on medical trips where the children are having cleft lip and cleft palate surgeries and QBB sends quilts to children in need around the world and here in the US.

Here locally, I am a member of a Quilts of Valor group and occasionally make quilts for Project Linus and pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer (for children). I am retired and this is my reward for years of working hard - I get to play with fabric a lot!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-13-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by libby2595 View Post
please share what organizations you donate quilts (or other crafted items) to.

i'd love to read about the good being done by quilters.
i think it could make for an awesome thread of heartwarming information.

thanks in advance.
I make and donate lap throw quilts to the Riverside Rehabilitation Center/Nursing Home. I make and donate baby quilts to Ronald McDonald House and also to Rachel's House, a temporary home for young unwed mothers.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

The local Children's Hospital get more donated handmade items then they can use so my guild is giving to a group The Call. It helps foster children. We stopped giving quilts to the Red Cross when a member found a closet full of donated quilts at the office that were years old and was told something had to be done about the blankets, they were taking up too much room. !