Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Choosing & placing colours in Storm at Sea quilt

Gay
    Blog Entries

Choosing & placing colours in Storm at Sea quilt

I've promised a dear old friend a quilt for her bed, she has chosen aqua and grey/brown [not a lot of fabric around in those colours eh?] and I would add white. My problem is selecting which shades of colours should go where. I want to emphasise the flowing water-like pattern rather than the central blocks. Can any of you lovely ladies, or gentlemen, advise me of the best placement of colour shades to place where, or know of a website that would show this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gay

Blog Entries
    I pulled it up in EQ7 and came up with an idea for you. I don't know how to move the picture from EQ7 to this forum so will try to describe it.

The Storm at Sea consists of (1) a small square (square in a square in a square), (2) a large square (square in a square in a square), and (3) a rectangle (diamond in a rectangle).

For the small square, a light center, next the aqua, and the grey/brown on the outside.
    For the large square, a light center, aqua next, and light on the outside
    For the rectangle, a grey/brown diamond and a light outside

Sorry I can't describe it any better than that. Hope it helps.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Hi Audrey. I don't have EQ7 so may have to cut some small pieces of fabric to see how it will look, using your idea. My friend doesn't want the darker shades but I think they'll have to be included, for contrast. Will also try using colouring pencils on graph paper. Have I heard somewhere that you can save [or export] your blocks and quilts as a jpg -or whatever- in EQ?

Thanks for your suggestions, Cheers, Gay

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
    I pulled it up in EQ7 and came up with an idea for you. I don't know how to move the picture from EQ7 to this forum so will try to describe it.

Audry... i only have eq5, so don't know where your 'buttons' are. you should find in one of your menus...Export image of quilt, or Export bitmap, or some such verbiage. mine is under the File menu and says Export Snapshot. after choosing that, i then have to use my cursor to select the portion that i want to save as a picture. then i just name it and save it to my picture files. then, you can upload it here, just like any picture. HTH
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

this link has a coloring chart if that helps.
    http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com...ree-block.html
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I found this one online - I think it does what you want, and it's in similar colors. http://www.flickr.com/photos/piece__of_me/1240309985/

Blog Entries
    Thank you QuiltnNan! I've always wondered how to do that. Guess I should have asked the forum! Now if I can post the picture here

Okay, I don't know how to post a picture. I'll research it and try again.
    Last edited by AudreyB; 07-21-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: picture didn't post
    AudreyB

Blog Entries
    I couldn't find a grey/brown but close enough and followed AudreyB's color example above... Name:  storm at sea 1.JPG
Views: 1556
Size:  72.7 KB

Blog Entries
    wow sorry for the big pic

Blog Entries
    Oh, thank you. I tried to post a picture but can't seem to do it. I'm still trying but I'm having technical problems.
    AudreyB

If the white is a color you're adding, and not one that your friend requested, I think there's way too much of it in that arrangement (the one pictured by btiny36). Personally, I wouldn't use any white at all, just stick with several different values of the aqua and grey/brown. It'll look much more fluid.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I have to agree with ghostrider too much white. Here is placing aqua and brown diff and reverse Name:  diff color2.JPG
Views: 587
Size:  46.3 KBName:  diff color.JPG
Views: 597
Size:  46.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Name:  diff color2.JPG
Views: 501
Size:  46.3 KB
    Sorry posted same pic sheeish

Blog Entries
    Okay, I think I have figured out how to upload the picture I did in EQ7. Hopefully it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AudreyB

I would go with the darker tones for the 'curve' pieces, to represent the waves. I would also use the single sash block (the basic one) and not the double sashed block. It is way more fluid looking and is the original intent of the pattern.

Pics for comparison, and, though not in the colors requested, the values depict waves and motion.

Top one is double sashed (looks very boxy)

Bottom one is single sashed except on the edges

Depending on how dear this old friend is, you could do one of the heart outlines in a slightly different shade from the others so it very subtly shows.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    when I was trying to decide what to put where on my storm at sea I printed off about 5 different line-drawings of the block- then using colored pencils colored each block with a different color layout- then chose the one I liked best...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, all, for your helpful tips and comments, and the images. Have noticed they only have 3 or 4 colours in each which is beaut, and I will save them all for reference. First I have to finish my DGDs quilt, which is another puzzle to be solved-as-I-go. Will try to post the photo when finished. My friend & I lived opposite each other since 6 yrs old, we're now 67, and have kept in touch over distances and time. She doesn't sew, and what else will I do with all these quilts on my to-do list but store them in the cupboard?

'ave a good day everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Gay View Post
    I've promised a dear old friend a quilt for her bed, she has chosen aqua and grey/brown [not a lot of fabric around in those colours eh?] and I would add white. My problem is selecting which shades of colours should go where. I want to emphasise the flowing water-like pattern rather than the central blocks. Can any of you lovely ladies, or gentlemen, advise me of the best placement of colour shades to place where, or know of a website that would show this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gay
    Google "storm at sea quilt" One of the first entries will read like this-------------
    Images for storm at sea quilt - Report images

There are bunche of photos. I much prefer the tranditonal white, med. blue and dark blue, with just one wave.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I would go with the darker tones for the 'curve' pieces, to represent the waves. I would also use the single sash block (the basic one) and not the double sashed block. It is way more fluid looking and is the original intent of the pattern.

Pics for comparison, and, though not in the colors requested, the values depict waves and motion.

Top one is double sashed (looks very boxy)

Bottom one is single sashed except on the edges

Depending on how dear this old friend is, you could do one of the heart outlines in a slightly different shade from the others so it very subtly shows.
    I agree with ghostrider about the single sashing. The double loses the "storm". I also like white or at least a lot lighter "light" color.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Anytime I have a problem like this, I have to remember that crayons are our friends. Make a few copies of the pattern and experiment with different coloring. Storm at Sea is one of my favorite patterns because it can come out so many ways. Don't forget that it is not against the rules to put the same color in adjacent squares. You can also vary the look a bit by making the outside squares wider or narrower.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Love this pattern! I have the book "THE QUILTMAKER'S GIFT" Got it at an estate sale for $5.00. The pattern can also be found at FREE QUILT PATTERNS.COM You can download it.