Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Red.....

Christmas Red.....

I have a small table topper kit that I bought at the end of the season. The colors in it are black, Christmas Red, Christmas green, 2 creams and one gold.

Can I wait and wash this with color catchers after I'm finished or is that too risky?

If I wash them before I make the topper should I wash each fabric with color catchers?

TIA
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

I never wash my fabrics before I use them. Just my preference. Lots of people here on the board have used the color catchers with great success. Im sure you'll get more replies. Good Luck, sounds pretty.
    SUEB

I never pre wash either, but there are lots who do. Would love to see your table topper.

I haven't prewashed my fabric either. I'm just wondering with the red if I should prewash.

The topper should come out to 26x26. So it's not that much fabric, but I don't want to ruin it because of the red running.

Thanks ladies
    Ginger

Sometimes I prewash, sometimes I don't. I never do when it's a kit, tho, because I'm afraid the fabrics will shrink & I won't have enough since kits usually are pretty stingy with their fabric. Just my opinion...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I always pre-wash fabrics. I have only made a quilt and another from the scraps, they were from a kit. I didn't pre-wash it, there was a very generous amount of fabrics. I for sure would at the least was gently in warm water to see if the red will bleed.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I wash with color catchers if I think it will fade.
    Jothesewer

Crud....you're right. I shouldn't prewash due to it being a kit and an old one at that. I wouldn't be able to remotely replace the fabric until maybe the summer.

Thanks ladies...I'll probably start with it tomorrow night.
    Ginger

I made a table topper with Xmas colors and the red ran. You can place the pieces in separate water w/o soap in the sink for each color and see if it runs. Better safe than sorry. Use retaine if it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    I made a table topper with Xmas colors and the red ran. You can place the pieces in separate water w/o soap in the sink for each color and see if it runs. Better safe than sorry. Use retaine if it runs.
    What company makes retaine? where do you buy it?
    Grandma Jane
    Wisconsin

Power Poster
    You can soak the fabrics (one color per bowl) in bowls of hot water and dry the pieces on towels or hang them on hangers to dry.

I've had excess dye from at least one gold, green, red, and black fabric.

But it's your project.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Jane View Post
    What company makes retaine? where do you buy it?
    My bottle of Retayne has=G & K Craft Industries LTD. Somerset, Ma 02726-0038. I got mine at Darma Trading Co.
    I always prewash and use a color catcher. You can test a small piece of fabric to see if it will bleed. If it does please use Retayne. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

If it is older material, I would do a pretest to see if it runs. Otherwise, I throw an extra color catcher in the wash just to be safe. Did you know you can reuse the color catchers once again?

Thanks much--That's a good idea to soak the fabric and see what happens. I think I have a bottle of retaine. I bought it at a local quilt store awhile ago.

Great advice ladies!
    Ginger

Ginger, with older fabrics and black, red and green, please do prewash. Like suggested, use just a bowl of hot water, soak, swish with some dish soap and rinse and blot dry. I'd be so concerned with those older fabrics not holding color like we expect with newer things. Good luck, looking forward to seeing your project.

I rarely pre-wash fabric any more and have had no problems with the colors running.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Remember that with Retayne you have to use very hot water (140 degrees or more) for it to work. I would put it on the stove in a pot. But of course the hot water may cause shrinkage.
    Beth in Maryland

I always wash my fabric before I use it, and always with a color catcher so I will know which one ran and how much.

G & K craft industries ltd., somerset Ma - check with your local quilt shop - here in Waunakee, WI Mill House carries it! Good luck!
    Love 4 stchen

I never prewash, never had any problems.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Certain colors I prewash and reds are one of them. If there are reds in a quilt I am making I prewash all fabrics I will be using in the quilt, and then they are washed separately with a color catcher. Otherwise I don't prewash.
    Diane
    If you want to make God laugh, just tell him your plans......

Quote Originally Posted by stchenfool View Post
    G & K craft industries ltd., somerset Ma - check with your local quilt shop - here in Waunakee, WI Mill House carries it! Good luck!
    www.softexpressions.com also carries it or just Google Retayne and see what comes up and who has the
    cheapest prices. I urge you to go the Retayne route. You spent money for the kit and will be spending time
    creating it; it would be devastating if any of the materials ran. I presoak all my fabric in Retayne and am
    often surprised by what fabrics bleed color into the water. The Retayne is cheap insurance.
    Good luck - Judy Mannix

I made a beaut. Christmas runner in the same colors you used. I finally decided to wash it after using it 2 yrs. Big mistake not to prewash. The red bled into the white & now all white is pink. I didn't know about the color catchers yet.
    Then I did prewash many 1/4 yd. pieces of fabrics for a Bargello. I even put them in a mesh bag. Another BIG mistake. They twisted into such a massive knot & shreds I had to throw them all away. Couldn't begin to untangle the mess. I had to go buy all new fabrics that did NOT get prewashed. Now I'd be afraid to ever wash the finished quilt without getting the products you've all talked about. This quilt was far too much work to risk it. It may never get washed. LOL

Pat

I do not wash my fabric first and have had no problems. I do use a color catcher when the item is completed and then wash.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

I don't prewash either, but if I'm unsure I cut a 2 inch square and put it in a glass of water, if nothing happen, I will make my project.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast